“What a place - can we pay more please?” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Muirfield, Gullane, Gullane EH31 2EG, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“What a place - can we pay more please?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

It's like going to a rather posh friend's house - for lunch in our case on Saturday. Warm, comfortable, friendly, outstanding food served in beautiful surroundings - and the rain cleared afterwards to allow a walk through the stunning gardens.
They even deduced we were celebrating my daughter's birthday and an appropriately decorated plate of petit fours appeared at the end of lunch with the coffees.
A minor slip up in the kitchen led to one of the party asking, not complaining in the slightest, about an item on his plate. The chef came out in person to explain and apologise. Afterwards we discovered a charge had been taken off the bill.....such was our enjoyment we insisted it went back on - that is the measure of a satisfied customer.
This was our third or fourth visit in recent months - each time the same high standards were on display. A great place showing off the best of this lovely part of Scotland.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Guest

I am so glad that you enjoy Greywalls on such a regular basis. Your custom is appreciated and thank you for supporting us. No doubt we will see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Friends told me that I must eat at Greywalls so I eventually booked for lunch last month.
Their aim of a country house ambiance is achieved with ease and the staff are very attentive. We had an acceptable house champagne whilst we perused the menu.
I had chicken liver parfait followed by lamb I think, that is the key of my view the food is not memorable at all. That is not to say it's poor it's not. It tastes like cooking on auto pilot albeit at a reasonable level. The wine by the glass is of good quality if a little pricey.
Coffee in the sitting room afterwards was very pleasant.
I went with high expectations to Greywalls but for me there was little if anything to distinguish it for many others of its type.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I am sorry that you experience of Greywalls fell short of your expectations. We are all conscious of the standards we need to achieve on a daily basis and do work hard to achieve this. I believe you ate off the daily menu which is good honest French country cooking, nothing too flashy but well priced and we hope delicious. The a la carte perhaps showcases the Chefs talents more and offers more luxurious and unusual ingredients. I do hope you return to Greywalls, perhaps in the summer months for al fresco dining and enjoy the gardens.

Peeblesshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Greywalls hosted our daughters wedding a few weeks ago and we cannot praise them enough. From the first day of planning the attention to detail was first class. The wedding day itself was a fine dining experience with service to match, the staff were amazing, the food fantastic. All the wedding guests have commented on how much they enjoyed their day. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I am delighted we could assist in making your Daughters day so special. We all work hard and understand how important a day this is for people. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to all involved. See you soon.

Stonehaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Lovely gardens and setting must have been a beautiful home. Staff very attentive and the service in the restaurant was excellent. Dinner expensive but in our opinion was well worth it. Our bedroom was quite small and didn't have a mirror. En-suite large. Would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a large double.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and glad you enjoyed your stay. I will endeavour to identify the room you stayed in and address the mirror issue.I hope you can come again soon and thank you for staying with us.

Drogheda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed here on 28th and 29th April. A beautiful building, lovely gardens and fabulous location. Had coffee in the bar on arrival in front of the fire which set the two days up nicely.
Staff were universally attentive and service excellent. Stayed in a "small" double as the larger rooms were unavailable. Small must mean something different in East Lothian. It was more than generously sized. The "large" rooms must be enormous!!
Food on the first night was OK. On the second night we chose from the set menu and the food, all three courses each of us had, was delicious.
Two complaints. 1) The pillows we had were too soft and gave no support to the neck. 2) A service charge is applied to food and drink a practice I have never liked.
One observation is that some of the carpets are showing their age being badly worn in places.
For us our break fully merited a 5 star rating. We did however make use of a 2 nights for the price of one offer from the hotel a caveat being that one dinner must be taken in the hotel. We would always have taken a meal in the hotel as my wife is a fan of the Roux family so that was no hardship for us. Having to pay the full price (an extra £240) would probably drop the rating to 4 stars on the basis of value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 9 described as a small double. The room is anything but small and the bathroom is...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I have to say room 9 is a favourite of mine, as it affords views of the 9th and 18th at Muirfield. Hope you can come and see us again soon.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Always I have enjoyed this cosy hotel in a perfect setting but not this time. We walked in and expectations of a roaring fire were met with a black hole and a rather chilly atmosphere. They tried to usher us in the back room but I insisted that we had afternoon tea where it should be in the lounge! The service was very very poor and we waited a long time to be served. Eventually we were given our champagne and the menu. The afternoon tea was poor. Jam in pots regardless of whether it comes from a local business is just not good enough! How long does it take a chef to make some home made jam. The wafer thin sandwiches were none other than small rolls which had seen better days. They were not fresh and the filling was pretty basic and boring. I was so disappointed. The whole atmosphere of the hotel has changed and there seems to be a great deal of staff but no chief as such. It takes only minutes to clean out a fire and reset. Their sister hotel in Lochinver has a roaring fire from early morning and there is really no excuse to present customers who are paying good money to come to a hotel like that and be faced with a draughty miserable lounge. The sofa's springs were coming out and we needed to move to seats to make ourselves comfortable. I think the whole place is trading on a past name and it needs to get its act together. This used to be great. It is less than average now. Will not return and I am an Inverlochy Club member sadly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am sorry to read that you did not really enjoy your experience. Afternoon tea is served in our Garden Room and this was a decision taken over 2 years ago as we found that guests taking afternoon tea in the lounges left little or no space for residents or diners to sit and relax. Due to the demand for afternoon tea we had to move it in to the Garden room, which affords beautiful views of the walled Garden. I am sorry that was not to your liking and trust you can understand why we had to move afternoon teas in to this room. If the hotel is quiet we can sometimes offer the lounge for afternoon tea but as a standard we now use the Garden room. Having said that the fire should have been lit in the lounge. We always light this during the Autumn and Winter and unfortunately, on occasion, during a cool summers day and I am sorry that this was not the case. The Jam is made by a small artisan producer specially approved and tasted by Mr Roux. Unfortunately due to the amount of Jam and preserves we use for afternoon tea and breakfast we simple don't have the space or facilities to produce it on site.
I would dearly love you to return to Greywalls and should you wish to book again please call and ask for me and I would be delighted to personally attend to this for you.

Duncan Fraser
GM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very poor food, service ten times better since last visit, but food is ten times poorer. It is hard to believe Albert Roux gained all his accolades serving this quality of food. Our lunch was mean, poorly cooked, no depth of flavour and comprised of cheap cuts. Certainly short sighted business man, large profit but would I go back ? no. Surprisingly service was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry to read that you were so disappointed with the cuisine on Easter Sunday Lunch. I believe the menu offered a good selection of dishes, I am sorry that you did not feel this. The dishes you choose should of course delivered on flavour and I am sorry that you felt this was the case. We always ask guests if they are enjoying their meal so we can identify if there is any issue and then we can resolve it there and then. I appreciate some people are reluctant to do this in company, but it would allow us the opportunity to rectify the problem. I note your comments on the service and they are appreciated and should you wish to discuss this further please feel free to call me on 01260 842144. Your custom and comments are important to us.

Kind regards

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!