“Great service with excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Muirfield, Gullane, Gullane EH31 2EG, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great service with excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited here for Sunday lunch. Always a treat to have the excellent value set lunch, with great and attentive service. The views of the golf course are fantastic, making a leisurely lunch even more enjoyable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for joining us for lunch recently and taking the time to post your review. Hope to welcome back soon.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The drive up to this beautiful Lutyens house is breathtaking. The house inside has a very homely feeling & you feel relaxed & at ease. We stayed in room 17 looking onto the walled garden designed by Gertrude Jekyll. The cottage room is dog friendly, cosy, warm & homely. It has a large bathroom with underfloor heating. The staff are very friendly & helpful. we sampled one of the cocktails which was one of the best French Martinis I have had. Dinner was very good & service excellent. Breakfast was really enjoyable with a good choice. The health drink is one you should try.
If I have any moans it would be to have homemade jams & marmalade for breakfast & a few biscuits to have with your complementary tea & coffee in the room.

Dear Guest

The heading of your review sums up Greywalls for me and I am glad you share my affection for such a beautiful house. With the added bonus a great cocktails of course, not available in Lutyen's day.

linlithgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last weekend as we were dining with friends in the restaurant and decided to stay to avoid driving .

The house (hotel) is lovely and almost feels like you are in somebody's country house rather than a hotel .
There is no formal reception but we were met at the door by the first of an impressive array of courteous and reserved staff. This continued over our stay and nothing seemed too much trouble
The rooms are not huge by modern standards but pleasantly (if slightly oTT) decorated in Country house style with modern ensuite facilities and the bed was comfortable enough . There are a few signs of wear though on the internal stair carpets and inside the (antique) wardrobes We were in room 6 which is above the entrance (the windows on the left in the publicity picture)of the premises. We were aware of a little noise from guests exiting the restaurant late at night . There isnt a lot to do if you aren't a golfer or there for dinner but the local town of Gullane is easily walkable and the hotel has lovely gardens if the weather is good. .
The Chez Roux Restaurant was very very good . I cannot fault any of the food we had both from the main and set menu. Again the service was excellent . The only thing missing was perhaps an explanation of exactly what, each dish was , but then again we never asked and happily ate what was given to us

A final word about the breakfast which is included - it was exceptional and freshly cooked to order .
Hope to stay again soon

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your posting your review. I note your comments regards the signs of wear and we are currently undertaking a programme of work over the coming year in certain areas, room 6 being one of them and all the internal carpets. I hope when you return you will notice the difference. Thank you for staying at Greywalls and hope to Welcome you back soon.

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This most beautiful house deserves so much credit. From your arrival, the staff could not have been more attentive, so professional, yet discreet in the execution of every detail.The room was beautiful, so comfortable, again in every detail! The food was just excellent, again in every detail. to be honest, I could not find fault in anything. The most beautiful library, with the pianist playing such haunting music. Not to be missed, a walk around the endless garden this morning, with views over Muirfield Golf Course, then on to the sea, ah!
Thank you all so much for a perfect weekend.

Room Tip: I can't believe there is such a thing as a bad room
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review. We work hard to consistently provide our guests with the perfect stay and it is very rewarding to read these comments.

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This is the 3rd Chez Roux I've stayed in and it did not disappoint. The place is stunning and the staff are all so courteous and friendly. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel relaxed and welcome. The massage we had from Margaret was brilliant and she took such care to make sure I was relaxed which was just what I needed.
We ate from the market menu which was lovely and great value for money. The fireplaces and quirky seating throughout the hotel make you feel at home and we loved having coffee in the library and chilling.
I hope I won't have to wait a while to return....

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your continued support of Chez Roux and I am glad you enjoyed you Greywalls stay. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to Margaret.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I are fortunate insofar as our weekend cottage at Gullane has several excellent restaurants within easy walking distance. Two of these are outstanding - La Potiniere, and Chez Roux Restaurant within Greywalls Hotel. We have dined at Greywalls before, but had not done so since its Restaurant became "Chez Roux", but, for fine dining, we had hitherto tended to go to La Potiniere, which never disappoints. However, we decided to visit Chez Roux for dinner last Friday evening.

On entering the bar for pre-dinner drinks, we were instantly provided with a generous platter of olives and savoury nibbles followed by delicious fresh, Chef's canapés. For our first course in the dining room, we both had sublime cheese soufflés, followed by perfect loin of venison cooked pink, exactly as requested. The dishes were all nicely presented without the irritating pretentious fripperies beloved by "Masterchef", and the like. There is an extensive, slightly pricey wine list, but a Cote du Rhone at £37.00 was good value. Service was well timed, not rushed, but no interminable waits between courses. Desserts were also excellent. In fact, the entire meal was so faultless that we half expected Albert himself to emerge to take a bow for applause. We retired to the luxury of the library for coffee liqueurs and petit fours, well satisfied. The management were kind enough to allow us to drive to, and walk home from Greywalls, leaving our car in their park overnight.

Now for a few niggles. For my pre-dinner drink, I asked the (very pleasant) barman for a "Gin & French". He was totally nonplussed, so I had to explain what it was, and then what type of glass it should be served in. In the dining room, the tables for two against a wall are far too close together, we felt that we were dining with the couples on either side making us feel sorry for a newly engaged couple, out for a romantic Valentine's night dinner. I am fond of an Armagnac with my coffee, but had not seen it on the liqueur list (I might have missed it), so I asked for a double Armagnac if available, or a double Cognac if not. A glass was set down before me without a word, so I asked if it was Armagnac - it was, but it was obviously only a single, so had to be sent away for another measure. My wife had an Amaretto, which came in a large heavy tub glass, suitable for whisky, but not Amaretto. On receiving my bill, I instantly saw from the bottom line that it was far cheaper than it should have been. Closer inspection revealed that it was someone else's bill. It was substituted for the correct one with apologies, but no thanks, which I thought might be warranted, because my bill was £73.00 more than the one originally presented. Finally, particularly for ladies, do not wear expensive shoes, or take extra walking shoes and change once inside. The traditional pebble gravelled driveway and car park is ruinous for delicate shoes.

All of my niggles are pretty minor in themselves, but collectively amount to hints of unprofessionalism. Nevertheless, The superb overall splendour of the house, and the cuisine more than negate my niggles which most certainly will not prevent me from further visits (if I am allowed!)

David Hollingdale
Edinburgh

Room Tip: Not applicable, because we only went for dinner.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner with us and only to happy to look after your car overnight. This is never a problem. I note your comments regards the cocktail requested and the digestifs. You should have been advised of the house cognac given to you, they are listed on our drinks list. I am sorry you were presented with the incorrect bill and thank you for your honesty.
Hopefully you will return to Greywalls, where you will of course, always be welcome.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 3 lovely nights at Greywalls. Undoubtedly the good weather helped but even in a snowstorm we would have been delighted. From the moment of our arrival the welcome was very obvious. Our room, in the newer part of the hotel, was perfect; the original section of the building was like a comfortable country house. The combination of old and new could not be faulted and the view from our room over the 10th tee at Muirfield towards the Fife coast was superb.

The meals were excellent and I can certainly recommend the porridge "with a dram". We fully intend to return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Your comments and review and very much appreciated and I will pass them on to the rest of the team. I look forward to welcoming you both back.

Kind regards

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!