“Great family trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
PERTH
“Great family trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just back from a family Christmas vacation. We were ages 10 - 65. Everyone found things to do, enjoyed all the meals, plenty of food, plenty of champagne! The shopping strip in front of the resort was great for easy shopping. Special mentions: Orane at the pool bar was friendly, very interesting to talk to, and very efficient. He was quick with the service and mixes awesome drinks. Steven and Jeremiah were servers at the restaurant. Both were extremely efficient, friendly and always smiling. Waved every time they saw any of us. Alan Bair at the MOOMBA bar invented a most interesting and delicious drink. He hasn't found a name for it as of yet, but it contains lychee liqueur, vodka, gingerbeer, fresh ginger, lime and sugar. He could be famous for this drink! It should be named after him. One afternoon at the pool, we were entertained by a parade of Disney characters, and a band of children and young adults dressed in Christmas garb. The Mr. & Mrs. (head of the parade) wore beautiful outfits. The band played for about one hour. A difficult feat considering how hot it was. This was delightful entertainment. We celebrated a birthday during our stay. The staff brought balloons and a bottle of champagne to the room of the "birthday boy." They arranged a reserved table setting for the 13 of us. We ordered a cake ($40), which was absolutely fabulous!! Chocolate Mousse cake. We gave the remainder of the cake to the servers and kitchen staff. This was a lovely family holiday. Thank you Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Finnish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Sonesta Maho really shows its age. The rooms and public areas show wear and tear from too much use and not enough upkeep and maintenance. It's location is densely populated and noisy. The reservations system is very unreliable. The restaurant is mediocre. If you are looking for a quiet, private, and relaxing environment for your SXM vacation this is not the place to be.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

So the hospitality here isn't the best quality and it's not the most luxurious resort that I've been to, but I would definitely go back. The location is perfect, the staff members can be great but have some good and some bad, tipping goes a long way here. People need appreciation.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Amanda F, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Howie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your time with us. We're happy that you had an overall great stay with us and that you would come back to see us again in the future. We look forward to it!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This is one of my favorite location to date! This Island is what I think a Caribbean destination is supposed to be! Most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Being able to get served and discuss in English and French is a great plus for us. I felt safe everywhere I went.

As for the hotel, it's what we expected. Service is ok. Not overly friendly like some other places but still they did their best to accommodate our needs.I have no complaint. When chitchating, once I broke the ice, everyone was really nice. Food is very good. Everything I had I liked. Not a lot of options but what was there was good.

On the negative there is pretty much no entertainment. Very few restaurants or places to eat, included with our package. Basically, one cafeteria/buffet, two a la carte, of which one is just outside the hotel, the Ascot Pub. At peak hours there can be a 20 minutes wait to get a table to the buffet, even if there are empty table. I figured they were just understaffed and needed to give the kitchen and floor staff a chance to keep up. It seemed understaffed often to me.

The a la carte, Palm Grill, was nice and offered prompt service. Our understanding was that it was changing their menu daily but that was not the case! A lunch menu and a dinner menu is all we got. There is a bar there and one bar at the other a la carte, plus one in the lobby/casino machine corner. It's not so bad but the whole thinking needs some work! Example, entertainment at night near the cafeteria but no bar available to us around to enjoy! Frustrating I found! If entertainment is for VIPs say it! I ain't going to walk 200-300' to a bar when there is one, unoccupied, 20' from where the stage is! I always hate them double standard system where VIPs get this or that more. Make your VIP customer special, sure. Don't make your common customer feel common! I know, they pay extra for that, I know. Basically, plan to get out in town and pay for entertainment.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Steph613,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We're glad to see you had a wonderful vacation with us and that St. Maarten has become your favorite location! We have let our entertainment department know your comments regarding the daily entertainment and see about putting some more, so that way the next time you come to visit us, we'll make sure you'll have more than enough things to do! Thanks again for your feedback!

Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have been to many places over the years and this hotel / service was one of the worst. Stay somewhere else. Check-in went good - room 690 - Ocean and pool view. Not a bad room and it was available to us immediately at 2:30 pm. The location was good - a lot to do around you and the beach and ocean were very enjoyable.

For the BAD -
Bar / Food Service - turtles would give you better service - I have never seen people move so SLOW and be so unfriendly. Exception the pool bar bartender (very nice). We actually dined out more than we ate at the hotel to get away from the same menu and bad service. The buffet never had food - I went 2x's and both times I was left with crumbs and salad. I asked when they were going to replenish the food and I was told "soon". Well after 15 minutes I having again nothing we left. Not to mention having to "stand in line" to eat due only having 2 places to eat and having a "full hotel". So slowness, no food, bad service - no wonder they can offer all-inclusive they don't feed ya!

Also during my stay I had NO WATER in my room 2 nights. You call downstairs and they say we are working on the issue. So no water means no clean towels either because no water to wash them. My hubby and I shared our one clean towel one night. Called 3x's downstairs for towels and 5 hours later we got towels. Which brings me to the cleaning ladie - NASTY NASTY mean women. Don't ask them for anything they'll bite you head off!

After all the problems I asked for an extra 2 hours in my room since my plane was not leaving until 3pm. Normal checkout - 11am. I asked for 1:30 and was told absolutely not. I told them we had issues and I didn't think asking for another 2 hours or so was that big of a deal. I was given a total attitude and told NO NO!!!

I could go on but what the point. My advice GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

Room Tip: My room was 690. Not a bad room. I heard nightmares from others so I guess I got a good room at leas...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lisan1025,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your time with us like we hoped you would have and want to ensure you that we have gone over your comments with our Management Team to make sure each department head is fully aware of your feedback. We do apologize that we were not able to check you out later but our resort was completely booked. We do however hold your luggage and provide you with a hospitality room for you to be able to freshen up before your flight if needed. We truly hope you will consider coming back to stay at one of our three Sonesta St. Maarten Resorts. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Our first encounter with St. Maarten was a stop-over on a cruise 3 yrs ago. We, like many fell in love with the island. This year we went for a week and stayed at the Sonesta Maho. We were on the heals of the hurricane and was there when they relocated all the guests from the Sonesta Great Bay due to damages from the storm. The Ocean Point was under construction at the time. I have to say that the hotel was full to capacity but they handled everyone very well. The only complaint I had was our room had 2 double beds. My husband is 6'4" so a double isn't really doable for us. They weren't unable to upgrade us to a kingsize as they were full. We made do. The rest is all positive. The staff were friendly. The rooms were very clean. The food at the buffet was much better than I had anticipated. It is one of the best buffet's I have eaten at. The pool always had chairs available and the beach was fantastic! There were always workers assigned to the beach to set up chairs and umbrella's for the guests. (a much welcomed convenience) Watching the planes was so entertaining! We loved it. The bars were well stocked and the staff were creative with their concoctions. The construction of the new hotel did not impact us whatsoever. I would recommend an ocean view room. At night when the cruise ships pull out you can watch them sail away with all their lights on. It is pretty cool! The island itself is very safe. We travelled by bus 3 separate times with the locals and were treated very well. The shopping in Phillipesburg is fabulous. The diamond prices are crazy cheap! (compared to Canada). We hired a guide to take us around the island. He was recommended by one of the security personel at the hotel. His name is Mr. Jones. He was really great. We got tons of fabulous pictures. We also did the catamaran excursion around the island. That was by far the highlight of our trip. I wish we had of done it twice! During our stay there were few children at the resort. The resort did do evening movies for the kids around the pool in the evenings. I would highly recommend the Sonesta Maho and St. Maarten. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ocean view 4th floor or higher. The best view is the corner rooms.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dmurray2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We're so pleased to see that you had an awesome vacation with us. Thank you for highlighting our friendly staff, clean rooms, delicious food and fantastic beach area. Thank you for understanding that we were at full capacity which made it difficult for us to change any of our guests rooms, but if we could have we most certainly would have loved to accommodate your requests.We hope you will come back to enjoy our amenties and views again very soon!

Toronto,ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have been travelling almost every year since 1997 to Maho Beach Resort. We have to say that this year was probably the most disappointing year we have ever had where in the past we have always had a great time. As most people who travel there regularly will know another resort (Sonesta Ocean Point has opened on the same property as Maho) - we were there for two weeks and the new hotel opened at the end of our first week. Well it was extremely disappointing that because the new hotel is not finished that they took amenities away from Maho guests to accommodate the new hotel. The first week we were there we did not have an opportunity to visit the Point Restaurant but the first night of our second week when we went there, we were turned away and told that the restaurant was no longer available to us and was now being called Azul and that it was being used exclusively for the new hotel as their restaurant was not finished - I mean really, couldn't we have share the space - there were only 4 people sitting in there at times. We were directed to a meeting room over the Ocean Terrace Buffet which they were now calling the Point Restaurant with a tiny, tiny buffet - hardly fine dining. Also, we were no longer able to use the Point Bar outside as they put barricades up to keep us out (this was Maho's bar the night before and was nice sitting out right on the water - again not our fault that their facility is not ready but we paid the price!!). They have also taken to seating people at the Ocean Terrace Buffet which would be fine if they actually got around to doing it - many times we had to wait for up to 30 minutes to get seated even though there were many empty tables. They have a lot of very young staff working there who do not seem to understand the hospitality business. There was also a lot of tension between the new younger staff and the older experienced staff that know what they are doing and they should do everything they can to retain their older experienced staff and send some of these younger kids packing. The food at the resort has always been quite good, however, this year they seemed to have trouble keeping things hot or even warm. Our room as usual was very nice and always cleaned properly. The other issue that I noted was that there are no restrooms near the Buffet now that they have renovated the old lobby where the washrooms were and cut that space off from Maho quests - can't believe they have not thought of that - hope you don't have an emergency. Drinks at the bars (thank you Sheryl, Felicia and Mathew) were great. Also, please be aware there is only one pool available to Maho now that they are opening this new hotel - we used to have two - another amenity they have taken away from Maho - I really don't get that they have 3 pools and the use of Maho's for 129 rooms and Maho with close to 400 rooms gets one pool. The resort was quite busy when we were there due to the closure of Great Bay which of course was beyond their control, however, because there was so much noise with the construction going on at the Ocean Point, people staying there were using the space at Maho which resulted in people staying at Maho not being able to get chairs but of course we could not go up to the pool over the the Ocean Terrace section even though it was empty the entire time we were there. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens when they finish the construction but to be quite honest I am not sure we will return which is really sad because as I have already said we have been there almost every year since 1997 but felt totally pushed aside this year and felt that there was no loyalty to long time repeat customers. We met up with a few other couples that also have been going Maho for many years who felt the same way and said it is unlikely they will be back. I guess this is what is called progress.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda F, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear rdlac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We're sorry to see you did not enjoy your time with us as much as we would have hoped you would have. Ocean Point Resort did just have it's soft opening and although The Point Restaurant is not located at the same place, the same menu and service is currently being served at The Palms Grill at night. We have taken all of your valuable feedback and presented it to our Management team to go over in detail. We do hope you will continue to stay with us.

Happy Holidays.

Sonesta Maho Beach Resort Management

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!