“Gerry M "great resort"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Hackensack, New Jersey, United States
“Gerry M "great resort"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I just got back with my 3 sisters, this resort is so beautiful, i am so looking forward to going back, can't wait, staff, food, cleanliness, location, beach, everything was wonderful, will definitely stay longer next time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Finnish first
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Booked this hotel about 4 months ago. I read reveiws and they were all had up's & down's. To begin with they were in the middle of a major renovation which i new nothing about. a different part of the hotel was being worked on it was an old building {ocean terrace tower} which is to be upgraded to a 4 star or better hotel. With the reveiws I read they were suppose to have 5 resturants. Where they only had 2 to use and of course the buffet dinner. the main hotel itself needs a upgrade of its own, there entertainment is the clubs on the strip, which is smaller then a city block and a casino across the street. I expected to see entertainment every nite which there was not. The outside bar closed at 10:30 pm which forced us to go to an inside bar which was open till 1 am , but who want's to go in doors when your in the carribean, and the inside bar was surronded by slot machines not a good! Food was just okay and i'm being kind we had to eat off the same menu and the pub but there pizzia was just as good as a new york pie. The staff was friendly always with a smile on there face. The beach was excellent the pool was great with a pool side bar. This place needs much better things to do at nite, to me there just forcing you to go on the strip so they don't have to be botherd The only thing that was a wow was the airport was so close from the beach we can watch the jet liner's land along with a 747 wow.To me this is just falls short of a 3 star rating

Room Tip: ask for the sky tower 5th floor or better or just wait until the new hotel opens
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We just got back yesterday and had the best vacation yet. The resort was kept really clean. The service was amazing. The food was excellent. The only thing that would make this resort better would be if we could have stayed longer. It was never hard to find an umbrella to sit under on the beach or at the pool. We found everyone to be very friendly and eager to keep you happy. My drinks at the pool bar never went empty. The rooms were always kept tidy.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor and had a great view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda F, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Carriedl,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent trip to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort. We are so glad to see that you received friendly and amazing service. We do hope you will come back again soon to sit under an umbrella by the pool or beach with a refreshing cocktail right next to you!

Best regards,
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort Management
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Great location, close to the airport so it's an easy travel back and forth. Front desk staff is amazing and friendly. Initially we hated our room upon check-in and went back to them and they changed our rooms no problem. Jamie at front desk is really nice. The food is good, no complaints . Sheryl at poolbar makes great drinks and treats you well. Priscilla also excellent service at the restaurants. Be sure to stop by Jewelry and Linen at the end of the road just outside the resort . And take a trip to Pinel Island absolutely breathtaking, and there are iguanas there. Overall beautiful island and wonderful trip. Will definitely be back. Thanks Sonesta!!

• Stayed August 2014
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We booked this hotel because we were attending a wedding of a great friend. We arrived August 11 and checked out August 13, and went to the sister property.... After traveling from 10:30pm Sunday night to 3:00 Monday afternoon from California... we decided to get something to eat. I asked the server how was her day! :))) she frowned and said 'almost over' I ordered the caesar salad. It came back as small portion, warm and very little dressing...I asked for more dressing-she never came back. Then I discovered pizza at the next building. If I wanted a piece I had to hurry up because the employees were grabbing the last few slices for themselves. Then I noticed a buffet!!! wala.. food... I was excited... we waited.. waited to see kraft macaroni and cheese in a dish, over cooked chicken and nasty fish. I ate nachos... yes.. I flew from California and had warm caesar, pizza and nachos for my first meal. Nobody said hello, good evening, welcome, hi, bye, nothing. The next morning we went down for breakfast and they sat us under a palm tree, nice we thought, until we saw bird poop on the table and table runner.. no wonder it was empty. We tried to ask for silverware and one guy just said something , shewed me off and kept walking. They were serving French toast and when they ran out my husband asked the chef if he was making more- he never answered him. amazing.... we got roped into a timeshare presentation monday night as we walked around outside to the boutiques, the presentation was right next to the Sonesta Great Bay which we heard was their sister property. We wondered in there just to check it out and was blown away! They were so nice, offered a cold towel, champagne, they smiled, laughed and said all they hear is about the bad service at Maho. All the time. Colin who was the manager at Maho was nice enough to transfer us to Great Bay. Kimeka checked us into the hotel-she was nice, but that is it. My friends wedding was beautiful, the wedding staff did a good job. Food was still horrible and took 2 hours to serve but that's not the point. Note- my husband and I purchased the premium package and had a room on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and ocean. We did not buy the standard package. We also paid $5 a day to park and internet was only free 'in the lobby' or $16 a day to have it in your room. Sonesta Great Bay had neither of these fees. I wrote a review for the Sonesta Great Bay as well. Please read and compare and beware.

Room Tip: The rooms overlook the pool and the roof of another building. There are no oceanfront rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

After reading prior reviews about Sonesta Maho I was a little skeptical about booking this resort for our family vacation. After a thoroughly discussion with other family members, we decided to go ahead with the booking. Staying at Sonesta Maho was a divine experience. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a nice cold glass of champagne or fruit punch and ice cold eucalyptus towels. The front desk staffs were very polite and accommodating as a result the checked in process was smooth and stress free. It was a pleasure to meet Maria and Kevin, they went above and beyond to make sure our needs were met and we’re very thankful for that. At the end of my stay I felt like I was living two family members behind. The food was great, the buffet is very diverse. The pool was clean and well kept. I really enjoyed Latin Night and the bingo games at the pool. My son loves movie night at the main lobby. We stayed at the main building and our rooms were newly renovated with view of the casino. This resort is in a great location with a variety of nearby shops, restaurants, and bars… all in all a divine and delightful experience really looking forward to go back

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Just came back from Sonesta and had to write a review .Rooms are immaculate and fresh! A/c good ! Tours on glass bottom boat excellent see Wagner at the front desk by elevators! Everyone
Friendly nice beach and great abundance of good food! Hello to Fevry ,Priscilla Laurie and Marcito at the the grill! Also to the friendly staff at the tourist desk at front lobby by Casino! Can't forget Ray you were the best bellman helped us with our bags and arranged cabs and such! A+++! We will be back !

Room Tip: Grab an ocean view room!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!