“Not Impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Toronto, Canada
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I just came back from St.Maarten yesterday and had stayed for a week May 4th- 11th
Maho wasn't my original resort we had stayed at the Sonesta GREAT BAY which was amazing.
Anyway a part of staying at the great bay is that you get to visit the sister resort which was MAHO we had decided to spend a full day at Maho because we heard the night life there was better for a younger crowd which me and the friend that I went with would be more ideal for us seeing how we are in our early 20s.

whether there is more night life at Maho that is not all you are looking for when you go to a vacation. The main thing we realized as soon as we walked in is that the staff was very unfriendly and not kind at all, it wouldn't hurt to smile a little now and then and even when talking to some of the workers they looked annoyed and gave attitude. There was a point where we got tired of asking people who worked there and decided to ask visitors that were staying at the hotel where to find the beach towels.

The beach is a lot more smaller and way more crowded than the beach at Great Bay, although it was pretty cool to watch the planes come in and land and leave that would be the only good thing I have to say about the beach. Whenever a big enough plane would come in or land the wind got heavy which caused the sand to fly up everywhere and it was quite uncomfortable when trying to lye on the beach because the sand would get all in your face.
It is also very loud, being so close to the airport hearing planes coming in and out 24/7 just got annoying

The food was alright not as good as Great Bay as well, it was very average and once again the waiters were very rude.

The good things we heard about the night life couldn't want to make us stay for the rest of our vacation because the cons outweighed the goods.

Overall if you are going in a group and are looking for a younger crowd with more children and teens who just want to party and not care about anything else that the country has to offer than this is the resort for you, but if you are looking for a nice relaxing time with your loved ones and somewhere a bit more quieter I would suggest the Sonesta Great Bay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Finnish first
Middletown, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was a little Leary about staying at this hotel due to previous reviews. But we stayed may 3-10 and cannot say enough about the hotel. The rooms are dated and our room safe had issues, but nothing that wasnt corrected.
For the positive, we stayed in room 944 and the view was awesome. Was a little loud at night sometimes from music at local clubs, but beds are comfy and clean. I did bring a bottle of Lysol with me but forgot the OFF. My husband got bitten by few mosquitoes but I didn't.
The food was wonderful. Many choices but the pizza was ti fir for. We ate twice at the pub, one time at the point and service was great at ALL. Just an FYI we did TIP and you were treated better. At the buffet we had excellent service from Natasha, Wendy and tami the hostess. They deserve raises. Best girls ever. Liked the male host too, they'd make you a Bloody Mary and mimosas or screw driver. Miss you all already.
Bars were great. Shout out to Cheryl at the pool bar, Romon at beach bar and Felicia at point. Again we tipped so it might have helped. All were friendly rembrted your name and what you were drinking.
Pool was clean but like other reviews reported there is a Sewar smell. Get chairs on beach side of pool to lessen the smell. Water was clean and refreshing and never had a problem getting a chair.
Negatives, my husband has medical issues and had to ask for a bath may for shower so he wouldn't fall. The water did come over the line in bathroom and we were afraid he would fall. There is no railing by pool bar so with his arthritis had difficult time with steps. I'm shocked no one has fallen. Cheryl said she complained of this as well. Pool area very slippery, be careful!
Also one night after going to Cheri's cafe for dinner and show (this is not included) . I was going to go to the point bar ti get beer for the room but it was raining. Therefore I went to casino bar, where I never went and asked for eight beers for my room and I would tip him$5. He told me no. I told him I was going to management. I went to th was professional in my opinion and was to the bartenders can't do that. I reported after spending almost $4000 on thus trip I should get as much beer as I wanted. They sent them up to our room but I should not have had to ask.
We did a tour of the island with a local Kevin from Heaven and would highly recommend him. Staff at buffet have us his number. He was wonderful.
Beaches and planes landing were amazing . Never got tired of watching them.
We man to return to sonesta I. The future and hope they work out a few links to make our next visit amazing.
Last, we paid $60 to have some things laundered. Everything come back pressed and spotless.
Have a few fir us and hope our new friend MATT is driving Felicia aka mom crazy! Lots of French Canadians vacation there, very friendly.
Laura and Tom

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We came in a large group to Sonesta Maho staying from May1-8th 2014. We waited in line with all the other 100+ guests after a long flight from canada and had to check in at some table and not front desk. After waiting we checked into our " deluxe" room which was far from the pictures they advertise on the site ( no where close) , our lovely view was the sewage swamp which was extremely loud 24 hours a day, our room was on the 6th floor . I found almost all the staff rude and ignorant the bartender Cheryl was by far the rudest. I will however cheer on Nico and David ( towel boys) and Carol ( buffet waitress) . The food was the SAME thing daily !! and there was no 24 hour snack bar or drinks available. The pool bar closed by 5:30-6 pm and the lobby was closed by midnight. If you wanted to continue your fun you had to leave and go to local bars which we were told was a $10 cover per person but our sunwing rep said was free. or you had the sports bar which was part of the all inclusive unfortunately the only friendly person was the guy at the bar, all the waitresses were miserable , rude and unfriendly. If you're looking for entertainment , you will NOT find any here. There was absolutely nothing to do they cancelled all events they were supposed to happen daily ( games, beach bonfire, tournaments) so I became a raging alcoholic and drank my 7 day stay, why not get my monies worth right? As for housekeeping, we went to the beach one day, just to get away from the pool for the day and returned to our room still having sand on our clothing, we showered and the sand was all over our bathroom floor, where it stayed for the remainder of our trip it was never cleaned up off the bathroom floor. The trip into town was ok you pay $2.00 for a bus ride into Philipsberg and can shop the local shops and flea market. The jewlery is stunning and beautiful , jewlery shops every where. Please take note that at Sonesta Maho " family" resort children were served alcohol no questions asked. For a family resort there was nothing for children to do so you would see some of the under age teens drinking and intoxicated. Would I return to St.Maarten? Nope not at all, for the amount of money I paid I was very disappointed. You will also notice there is a lot of repairs that are needed on this resort , the beds are on wheels on ceramic floors so you will never wake up where you originally fell asleep ( and I was in my bed alone nightly) , so that was always fun to wake up with my bed in a different position HAHA . If you choose to have dinner at the point restaurant be prepared to have your order all wrong or not get it at all. But don't fret you will need to go eat at the buffet anyways afterwards because the food portions are meant for a bird.
I will admit the view and beach is beautiful and the weather was excellent during our stay. If you have a late flight on your departure day remember check out is at 11 am and you will now be on your own, front desk wouldn't even let us have bottled water during the 7 hour lobby wait. P.S Wifi is only available in the lobby or it was $17.00 per day if you wanted it in your room or throughout the resort.
Hope it doesn't rain during your stay, as it leaked threw the lobby ceiling, oh and even if you tip Cheryl the pool bar waitress she's still mean and miserable, don't even bother wasting your tip money.
Good luck

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I just want to say what a wonderful hotel!

Love the staff, a smile and a compliment go along way. Remember it's hot and these poor staff work in the heat all day, be kind to them. The location is in a busy enough area that will keep you happy when you don't want to travel the island, a nice walk about, safe and clean! I love sitting on the beach watching the planes land all day, I never tire of it…lol

Thank you Sonesta Maho I'm so happy that you feed the feral cats on the property, very important to me!

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for Ocean view, well worth it! Back of hotel rooms over looking the golf coarse may h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Your probably thinking, there are more positive reviews than negative so i'll take the chance. This is exactly what i thought and after day two I realized just how wrong I was. in my opinion the issue is with management and not the frontline staff. I'm convince that management simply does not care. After three days at the Hotel I wrote a letter to management with high hopes that they would make the customer experience a better one. I didn't even get a reply to my email. They missed an opportunity to make me a believer and because of this I will not return to any of their properties.

This trip was suppose to be a special one - my wife's 40th birthday. We stayed in room 454 May 4 - 11. The two main reasons why I won't return are food and overall service. There are others but I won't take you through all the reasons because i've already sent a detail list to management. However, If you enjoy a good meal then Maho is simply not the place you want to go. Others have voiced similar complaints - the food had no taste. We ended up eating out most of our stay (Try Pineapple Pete & Clive's). Clive's a Jamaican restaurant - nothing fancy just good tasting Jamaican food. Don't even think about taking a CAB, simply go to security and get them to put you on the Philisburg bus. It's $2.00 each way and the experience is amazing.

I highly recommend the bus experience!

Kerisha was awesome! In fact she was the only reason why we stayed. I was very close to just leaving the property and going somewhere else. She listened and explained as best she could why we should return to Sonesta Maho. If the leadership/management had more individuals like Kerisha i'm certain a lot of the reviews on this site would be different. There were also other staff such as Carol & Stacey who worked in the lunch/dinner area who paid attention to their job and showed interest. I enjoyed the conversations and appreciated their efforts to make us feel welcome. This made a difference.

Housekeeping - They did a fabulous job with our room. I've seen other reviews but housekeeping cleaned our room twice per day and did an amazing job.

Management - If you are serious about turning these reviews around you need to act fast. You need to start leading and providing your staff with what they need in order for them to be successful. Leadership has to come from the top down. Get out there and ask your customer for feedback - start here. Listen to what we are saying and start making changes. For example I provided feedback day three into my seven day stay and you completely drop the ball. You need to act on these opportunities.

Good Luck!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms facing the pool are winners.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel and we were both very disappointed by the staff. The staff was not helpful or friendly. To get coffee or eating utensils in the morning was quite a feat. For dinner at the point restaurant there would be empty tables and the hostess would take forever before seating people. At check in there was no information on the restaurants or the times they closed etc so on our first day we went to the restaurant only to be told it was closing in a few minutes. Also, after paying for your room they charged for internet daily per device which dropped every 10 minutes and the code had to be re-entered.
Save your money and save yourself the hassle go elsewhere where the staff won't annoy you everyday.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My mom and I arrived at sonista maho resort and casino on May 1st. Our trip was booked with sunwing. First off let me start by saying do not book with sunwing, apon arrival at the airport they shoved our luggages into this truck along with 200 other suit cases, after that they packed 20 people into this small van an hurled us to the hotel. Once arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the staff with drinks and a hot hand towel. The drink was very good up until I was about to take my third sip and saw a black curly hair floating in my drink, disgusting. After that we waited in a ridiculously long line at what wasn't even a front desk, the hotel set up a seperat table that looked very cheap an made over 50 of us line up. It was already 9:30 and we were already very tired and just wanted to go to bed, about an hour later we got our room. Once we stepped into our room we were even more disappointed, the room we stayed in was 551, it was un renovated and very low quality with a view of the sewage plantation which was not a nice sight and very noisy, on top of that the bed was uncomfortable. We complained the next day and requested a room change and our sunwing rep was no help as she said she could not get us a new room, we then proceeded to talk to the hotel manager who told us to come back Sunday morning, so Sunday morning comes along an we were finally able to change our room, we were put into room 544, we were pleased with the room as it was one of the renovated rooms and it had an ocean view. The manager was very rude on Sunday morning and it felt like he did not even want to help us. As for food goes it was my favourite part of the trip, the food was very good and tasty, my only complaint would be is that it was not hot. A tip for anyone going to the hotel is go eat ur food right when it opens. Don't bother going to "the point" Resturant it was a waste of time with extremely small portions. As far as the servers go, a lot of them looked really grumpy and did not smile. The bar tenders were rude, u had to wait till 11 for them to open. While your on the island deffs do the island tour it was our favorite part of the whole trip. And deffs visit philisburge for shopping on the boardwalk, word of advise bring lots of money because everything is duty free, they have a Mac, Michael korrs, Cartier, and many more high end shops as well as local tourist shops, for the tourist shops make sure u Bargien your deals because u can always get something for cheaper. Maho beach was very nice especially the planes which land right there, I would deffs re visit st Maarten island but never to this resort again, at the end of our visit they made us check out at 11 when our flight leaves at 8. We wanted to put our bags in a safe room an not with everyone else's bag, the front desk lady said it would be no problem, then when we come to do it the manager says how "they don't do that here" so we said ok an put our baggage where everyone else were. We then sit down an begin to see countless numbers of times people handing their luggages to the luggage boys an recieving a ticket then the luggage boys taking the luggages to a private room, this happend over and over again for a lot of people, we were being descriminated against because we were flying with sunwing, they treated us horribly. And warning the wifi at this hotel is bad it's only available in the lobby Not in the rooms , if u want it in ur room u have to pay 75 bucks, but the wifi is so awful I don't recommend buying it, it keeps cutting out. Ya don't come to this hotel.

Room Tip: Request for an even number room, the even numberd rooms are renovated, the odd ones are not. And sta...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!