After reading several months' worth of reviews on this "resort", I have to say I agree with many of the opinions with respect to the lack of variety of the food, the disinterested staff, the inconsistent maid service and rather expensive wifi ($16 per day). Despite the fact that we tipped $3 to $5 each time we ordered 2 drinks at the pool or lobby bar or had a buffet breakfast where we were served an occasional glass of water, service wasn't particularly pleasant. The Point restaurant, which is supposed to be a fine dining experience, was not open most evenings, but when it was, we enjoyed a better than average meal from a very limited menu. Our waiter, Martiko, was by far the friendliest and most personable member of the staff...we wish we would have seen him more often during our stay. Most of the other waitstaff were absolutely miserable, even the ones who saw us daily and were greeted warmly by us. There were some practices that I noticed that could possibly contribute to vacationers getting sick or grossed out;, namely, leaving a small pitcher of creamer at each table in the heat for hours each morning during breakfast, food left out for hours without being covered, and the flea-infested cats roaming around begging for food at the restaurants. There were some positive aspects of the hotel that were impressive, though; when it rained, the front desk supplied us with umbrellas to get to the restaurants without getting soaked. I think this hotel is a great option if you are not concerned about luxury accommodations and plan on venturing out to see the beauty of this island. You probably will not find a better area in St. Maarten that combines a vibrant nightlife where one can walk around safely, along with a central location where you're not too far from any major attractions (Simpson Bay, Philipsburg, Mullet Bay). The Sunset Beach Bar is a short walk away where you can enjoy watching the planes land overhead, decent food, and reasonably priced drinks. There are a number of bars and fun places to visit at night nearby, like Sopranos piano bar, Cheri's Cafe, and Bliss nightclub. The hotel offers a free shopping excursion into Philipsburg hosted by one of the owners of a jewelry store in town. You may be better off taking a $2.00 bus ride on your own into Philipsburg so that you can shop at your leisure, but the free shopping excursion may come in handy if you have intentions of buying jewelry. We had lunch and drinks at the sister property on Great Bay beach. The food was equally limited, the bartender at the pool bar was grouchy even though we tipped him generously and others did not, and the hotel itself was in dire need of renovation.
The Sonesta Maho is kept fairly clean, and I did appreciate that the insecticide they spray several times a week was an all natural blend of lavender and non-toxic herbs, but it falls short of the kind of resort that could be put in it's place. The island has so many great restaurants and fun beaches to explore that it would be a shame to spend a week just hanging out at this hotel. If you are going to St. Maarten with the intention of exploring the island and need reasonably priced lodging in a great area, the Sonesta Maho is a good option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Maarten's only all-inclusive resort for families, singles and couples, the 520-room beachfront Sonesta Maho is located on 10 acres with expansive tropical gardens, stunning ocean vistas, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, the island's largest Casino, Kids Club, 2 swimming pools, day and night entertainment and much more. Duty-free shopping and nightlife is all within walking distance in the Maho Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Sabre Hospitality Solutions, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Otel, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Maho Beach Hotel
- St Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St Maarten Sonesta
- Maho Beach Hotel
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Sonesta