“Don't waste $ on an all inclusive.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
“Don't waste $ on an all inclusive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

On arriving at Saint Maarten, this hotel, is approximately 2 minutes drive from the airport.
It took a little over 30 minutes to check in. Then we had to lug our suitacases across the pool to the other building. When we arrived at our room, there were twin beds. Two adults cannot fit comfortably on these beds. We called front desk and got upgraded to a penthouse suite on the tenth floor.
The upgrade was excellent. There was a great view and the amenities were ok. However, there was no recption on the tv, and trying to get the toilets to flush was a chore.
The same thing was served for breakfast, and dinner. The ocean grille restaurant was ok for lunch.
But there are soo many nice restaurants, and hangout spots right outside the hotel, which makes all inclusive not worth it.
I didnt step into the pool. There was dirt and grime, seen on the rails of the pool and the pool water wshed the pool deck area and then flowed back into the pool, each day that I was there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (887)
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been coming to St Maarten for years and the Sonesta Maho Resort used to be good. I show this time and had to wait 3.5 hours to check into my room becuase it was not ready, then after I complained they wanted to put me in a old room with no view. I had reservations for a ocean view room which included breakfast. What a joke. The hotel is now all inclusive and it's very poor. The food at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner was poor. They had 500 Italians staying here and they took over everything. I couldn't even find a seat for dinner had to take a plate of food back to my room. The Italians all came from Toronto and they checkout time is 11am and there flight didn't depart until 9:30pm so the lobby is packed full, people were sleeping in all the chairs and all the chairs at the pool and beach were completely taken over by all of these old people. The only thing I can say god about this hotel was that my room was clean. That's it. It you like slow service, poor food, and like staying at a bus station, this place is for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Poor food and rooms overall, happened to be there first week of February 2013, 500 Italians from Toronto's Chin radio station all converging at the same time, took over everything, the cuisine, lounge chairs, breakfast, lunch, dinner impossible, took all the lounge chairs, saved them all from day to day, no chance for others. Resort tried to accomodate their culture, leaving everyone else in the lurch.
Will never go back there ever! Try to flush a room toilet, almost impossible to do so, and the list goes on.
Overpriced, staff generally not too helpful. Plenty of great resorts out there with great food and accomodation.

Room Tip: At any other resort!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sonesta Maho for 1 week. When we got to the resort I was worried by the look and feel of the lobby it was very dark ( we were there during a sunny afternoon) and it was very hot! i don't think that they had much air conditioning going on. Due to this I think the mosquitos were having the time of their lives because they were always around in the dark areas of the lobby and also sometimes at night in the lobby bar.

During check in there was an issue because they didn't have a room for us so we had to wait a long time for this to be resolved. Once it was resolved we got a room in the older building of the resort. Which we had to lug our luggage to, which was not the easiest and I wish that some of the staff would have helped us to do this.

When we entered our room it was very large and clean but very very outdated with a pepto bismal pink bathroom with a very old tub that had very little water pressure. The view from our room though was stunning we had an ocean view room which was so close to the water that I felt like i could jump off my balcony into the ocean. If this room was upgraded it would be a 5 plus room with that stunning view.

Half way through the week we were told we had to move to another room because of generator testing or something in the building we were in, they moved us to the renovated bullding but once again no one came to help us with our luggage and we had to do this ourselves. The new room we had was smaller , it was supposed to be a king bed but they said in the category of room we bought ( ocean view) there were no more king bed rooms unless we down graded which we didn't want to , so we were stuck with the small doubles, they offered to push the beds togeather though.

This new room was more modern with a great bathroom, much better then the other one, with a nice shower.

The food was very good but limited. we went in the end of october and there was some renovations so only two restaurants were open. The a la carte resturant was just average so we found ourselves at the outdoor restaurant where they had the lunch and dinner buffets at mostly, which we thought was good but found ourselves getting the same stuff.

The pools are nice, one was big with a nice pool bar and one was smaller. It was hard to find a chair though at the big pool, so we spent most of our time at the smaller pool which didn't have a pool side bar close by but had a great view of the planes which flew by overhead.

The beach area on the resort was small so we didn't bother with it but walked about 10 mins or so to a public beach which was nice but we had to pay for the beach chairs.

There are a lot of restaurants, some bars, a night club and a nice casino just outside of the resort.

We did a day trip also to st. barths which we booked through the nice girl working in the main lobby, if you get a chance this is a great option, we did the mini cooper tour.

Overall the staff was nice, food was average but good and some improvements needed with some rooms but we still had a great time in St Maarten and it was a much needed vacation.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jersey shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here Dec 6-10 for 4night back and being a travel agent, I'm very particular about resorts and what they have to offer.
I found the Maho to be well worth the visit. The hotel location is fantastic (it's on the dutch side and but a few minutes from the airport). right outside the hotel is the casion and a boulevard with shops and restaurants etc.
The hotel itself is very clean and our room was quite comfortable. Our in room minibar was stocked each night with our beers and soda of choice.
The only complain i have is that there is basically no night life at this hotel. Everything shuts down at midnight and it's like a ghost town, but there is the casino next door or if you walk out the hotel and make a right, upstaris there's a fantastic Panio Bar that i highly recommend.

Overall I'd definitely go back to this hotel if I was looking to just relax and clear my head or to take my daughter but not to party or go crazy.

Room Tip: somewhere on the 8th floor and in the newer building.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Clover, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Im not sure why everyone is complaining. My husband and I went for 7 days and night in August 2012 and had a wonderful time. There was always a good selection of food at the buffet and the resturants. The staff was extremely friendly especially the bartenders at the pool bar. There were daily activities like bingo by the pool and volleyball and water sports. Setting up excursions outside of the resort was a breeze. There is a desk set up in the lobby that arranges everything for you. We did Ziplining and a day cruise around the island. It was amazing! Beautiful views and they take you several different areas for snorkling and a very quaint resturant on the beach for lunch. The grounds were very well maintained and clean. There were some renovations going on but it wasnt loud and they tried very hard to keep the construction away from everyone. It is very close to the airport but we loved this because you can see all the planes coming in and taking off from your balcony and we thought this was great. Is it loud? alittle but by the second day we paid no attention to it anymore. As far at the noise at the pool...they play music during the day but it wasnt anything outragous. We enjoyed it because it added to the atmosphere. If you wanted something quiter you can always go down to the beach and lay under the trees in one of the many cushioned chairs they have. The alcohol section was great. No complaints there. There were plenty of things going on in the lobby at all times. Ping pong, movies, aracade, card games. The casino was right across the street and they have live dancers in the street which was an awesome gree show to watch. You have to go to Cheris Resturant and see the show there. It was GREAT! So funny! We were chosen to partipate in the show and we actually won. haha. We will definately be returning to Sonesta Maho. We had a great time and are telling all of our friends about it!

Room Tip: Definately choose ocean view not garden view. You can see the clouds rolling in and the planes takin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Comfortable accommodations, tropical garden views ,great food and premium drinks! Covered all the food groups! Now the lack of water pressure in the shower left something to be desired but my friends showers were fine, The beds were exceptionally comfortable , the safe was easy to work and the in-room fridge was stalked daily. I'm a "Quality over quantity" kind a girl and while the buffet was not the biggest I have ever seen, it certainly was the best.I have noticed some previous complaints about staff friendliness and I have seen this from some however it was no wonder due to the demands made by SOME of the guests. Most staff were lovely and friendly if you treated them kindly ( YES I am Canadian!)

Room Tip: You definitely want the GARDENVIEW overlooking the pool. My brother had gardenview overlooking a roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!