I usually travel with my daughter, but I had to take vacation solo. My travel time was Dec 30-Jan 13/13. My travel agent investigated and found that St. Maartens would be a safe place to go alone. I was booked at the Sonesta Maho, a 5 min ride from the airport. Check in was a bit slow but we have to remember we are on their time, which is "relax, you are on holidays".
What a terrific time I had! I met 4 couples who made my vacation! Two from Ontario, and two from the US.
I had a room with the Garden Terrace view and although the furniture was not modern, it was clean and bright. How much time do you really spend in your room? The floors were always washed, clean towels every day, dusted etc.
The resort had terrific food. Speaking to the assistant chef, he had been hired about 3 months ago. The food was terrific. Always something new, a great buffet at breakfast and dinner. We had buffets on the beach a couple of times, with everything from roast beef, to fish, salads, desserts, etc. When the main restaurant was closed we were able to order from the Garden Terrace.
The events coordinator had something different to do every day! They had an outside screen where you could watch movies.
You could take a walk down the beach to a restaurant/bar and watch the planes come in.
The weather was terrific, as were the locals. They were accomodating and really friendly. I took the bus into Phillipsburg a few times and had no problem.
I am not sure about the negativity of some of the reviews I read before I went, but my trip was terrific! I think anywhere you go, you are treated the way to treat other people. Would I go back? Certainly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. Maarten's only all-inclusive resort for families, singles and couples, the 520-room beachfront Sonesta Maho is located on 10 acres with expansive tropical gardens, stunning ocean vistas, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, the island's largest Casino, Kids Club, 2 swimming pools, day and night entertainment and much more. Duty-free shopping and nightlife is all within walking distance in the Maho Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Otel, Priceline, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo and getaroom.com so you can book your Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Maho Beach Hotel
- St Martin Sonesta
- Sonesta St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St Maarten Sonesta
- Maho Beach Hotel
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Sonesta