“Sonesta Maho” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Sudbury, Canada
“Sonesta Maho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I usually travel with my daughter, but I had to take vacation solo. My travel time was Dec 30-Jan 13/13. My travel agent investigated and found that St. Maartens would be a safe place to go alone. I was booked at the Sonesta Maho, a 5 min ride from the airport. Check in was a bit slow but we have to remember we are on their time, which is "relax, you are on holidays".
What a terrific time I had! I met 4 couples who made my vacation! Two from Ontario, and two from the US.
I had a room with the Garden Terrace view and although the furniture was not modern, it was clean and bright. How much time do you really spend in your room? The floors were always washed, clean towels every day, dusted etc.

The resort had terrific food. Speaking to the assistant chef, he had been hired about 3 months ago. The food was terrific. Always something new, a great buffet at breakfast and dinner. We had buffets on the beach a couple of times, with everything from roast beef, to fish, salads, desserts, etc. When the main restaurant was closed we were able to order from the Garden Terrace.
The events coordinator had something different to do every day! They had an outside screen where you could watch movies.
You could take a walk down the beach to a restaurant/bar and watch the planes come in.
The weather was terrific, as were the locals. They were accomodating and really friendly. I took the bus into Phillipsburg a few times and had no problem.
I am not sure about the negativity of some of the reviews I read before I went, but my trip was terrific! I think anywhere you go, you are treated the way to treat other people. Would I go back? Certainly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our 14th time staying at the Sonesta Maho and I have to say it only gets better every year! This time we stayed three weeks!!! The staff are always helpful. Colin and Carmen are fantastic. The rooms have been upgraded, the menus have been improved and the Silver Birds Steel Band performances were amazing. We are all looking forward to our next vacation at Sonesta Maho.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter and maximize the sun.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

First of all the hotel I a lose to the airport so it was nice not to waste any time in bus ! I'm 26 years old and the only thing missing is a younger crowd in the hotel . I was with people of 40 and up not that I don't like that but I woulda love a younger crowd ! The food was incredible I never eat like that in a all inclusive , honestly if you did pnt like the food you should stay home and never go to a all inclusive cause it was very good and everybody that I talk to really like it too , they don't have lobster or scampi on the buffet but it was not necessary !! The pizza bar is probably the best pizza I had Ever ! The night life is crazy , club or even go walk in the street you will have fun I garantit it ! People are genuine and very cordials ! The room are very clean and I had a view on the ocean so it was beautiful ! They miss some night life in the hotel do like there is no restaurant open after 10h so u can't eat and you can't drink alcohol after midnight so I would recommand to the hotel to change this and to make like a midnight snack like they do elsewhere and to be able to drink for free until 2-3 in the morning ! The Internet is expensive 16$ a day hopefully they will change this ! I woulda like to have more restaurant a la carte kind of ! There only one good Italian restaurant and it the point ... I woulda like more variety included in the all inclusive ! I really love my trip to sint Maarten and I will go back to sonesta cause I really love it

Stayed January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was a bit shocked to realize that the hotel is literally a block from the airport. It is a bit dated but the all inclusive helps. There really is no beach to speak of either. If you like loud, party scene, "vegas in the caribbean" type than you may like this. You can walk to the honky tonk casino and nightlife and shopping on the main street if you like that sort of thing. My idea of a vacation in the caribbean is peace and quiet with beautiful long beaches and peaceful atmosphere - not planes flying so close you can almost touch them. The staff was helpful and pleasant. It just wasn't what I was expecting....

Room Tip: I thought I wanted to spend more and overlook the ocean but that also overlooks the loud pool scene...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This place is dirty, dingy, damp, disgusting. Do not even think of coming here. However, if you're up for an all inclusive, football-hooligan lads holiday then it will be right up your street.

The only saving grace of this place: the bellboy and the staff on the front desk are lovely. All the other staff are horrendous. We tried to eat in the more 'upmarket' restaurant (where you actually have to wear clothes) and we couldn't get in, (fair enough), but then the waiting staff proceeded to have a screaming argument with eachother in front of us. Nice.

Avoid like the plague.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have stayed in Sonesta Maho all inclusive from dec. 21 - 27.
Having stayed on all inclusive hotels in different Carribean destinations, I cannot but to compare them with my latest experince.
I will start with positive points first
1- Hotel very accessible, 5min drive from airport
2- Great location for those who like to c planes landing
and taking off
3- Great place for those who like to go to casino, just
across the street
4- Gardens r well maintained.
5- some of the restaurant staff go out of their way and they keep an eye on your table to
provide you the service you paid for.
6- The point restaurant offers a very fine cuisine. the best on the resort.

Negative points observed:

1- The hotel is being renovated, so some rooms r very
acceptable while others r not even supposed to be in service.

2- Restaurants cleanliness, the hotel management still has a long way to go, especially the
"beach restaurant" tables/chairs r dirty, floor r greasy; cutlery, utensils / cups still show
residues of previous meals
3- Service in general is toooo slow; something we learnt that we'll have to go with the
island's time. I had to wait for my meal for more than one hour even though the restaurant
was not busy; Waitresses work on their own pace that's all.
4- Food @ the open buffet was very acceptable, yet it needs more variety, and they would
certainly need more space and tables to be added.
5- The beach is practically inexistent or very small and too dangerous to swim in with the
strong currents, which leaves no choice but using the swimming pools or go out of the
resort to a nearby beach (mullet bay) a 15min. walk behind the hotel. There, u can rent
ur beach chair and umbrella and pay for ur drinks.......
6- The in pool bar is located in the kids section of the pool. So, expect to hear children
screaming and to have pool water in ur drink from kids playing around u and having fun.
It would have been alot nicer and would have made more sense if the bar was built on the
other side of the pool where the cascade is located.

7- Room service: very poor. we checked in the floor was sticky and sandy

8- We were 2 adults - 2 children in the room with 3 towel only; When asked for another
towel, the answer was "when I have sufficient towels I'll put more"
9- Went to the front desk to ask for another bed, they called to have it arranged. It took
them 3hours and 25 min. and more than 4 additional calls to finally I could get the
additional bed for the kid to go to sleep @ 11:15pm.
10- Drinks/coktails are undrinkable. I am not a heavy drinker, but I haven’t gotten any drink
that was prepared properly.
11- In hotel excursions: expect to ask every detail of the excursion you intend to book. Lots
of untold details, you will discover a surprise on every step of the way.

I share my personal experience: Anguilla island - Shoal bay/swimm with the dolphins @
“dolphin discovery”.
- Price given by (Olivier) was unbelievably overpriced. the excursion was supposed to
include:
Transportation to and from Anguilla island, the drive to shoal bay + lunch on the beach with 2 drinks + the swim with dolphins. I have been charged about 650$ for 2 adults and 2 children.

Reality:

Transportation from and to the hotel was not included. You need to go meet the other vacationers in a McDonald near the port to take the boat @ ur own expense.
Once on the boat going to our destination we were told we have the right for one drink and one small bottle of water. Getting to the beach u discover that you need to pay for your umbrella 5$ and the bottle of water shrinks to xtra small. No restaurant on the beach, just a shabby old and dirty place that offers a very cheap hamburger or a plate of old chicken. Service is zero….
Dolphins: once there, we discovered that there r 2 packages. Regular = touching the dolphins and see the mediocre show, or you can upgrade to the premium to have a swim with the dolphin for an additional 45$/person on top to what has been already paid at the hotel.
Another surprise: you are not allowed to take any pictures since there is an onsite photographer hired by the delphinarium who will take pictures of all participants and then sell u the picture for 30$ or the totality of your pictures saved on a CD. for 120$. I have negotiated with the guy to have the CD. for 50$, he agreed for 90$ then reduced it to 70$.
Port fees 5$/person is payable upon ur return to the boat that was not included in the package neither.

Oliver (and Yvetta), the tour responsibles claim he was considerate and gave us good price for the excursion – reality, none of those who took the tour paid the same price/person as other participants.

This excursion was very deceiving and a total rip off. I guess Sonesta’s management must look into controlling these excursions.

I would rate this hotel as 3 stars hotel not more. Not allot of hotels offer all inclusive packages @ that part of the island as I understood. My opinion is that the island is very beautiful, but for an all inclusive, you can get more value for your money in other Caribbean destinations.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors, allot better than lower ones and quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I visited St. Maarten in December 2012 the week before Christmas. St. Maarten is truly a caribbean jem!! Absolutely loved the island!
We stayed at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort. The rooms were quite nice and we were lucky to stay in one of the renovated ones. Very clean, no musty smells. Had a couple of issues though. Difficult to get towels some days. Wifi you had to pay for and we were told it was included. (Go the Sunset Bar and Grill...theirs is free!) The meals were not so good. Breakfast was good..same though. We had a couple of meals at the Palms Grill and it was just ok. Don't waste your time with the "fine" dining...The Point restaurant. It was not good! Service wasn't very good anywhere here. Like other reviews have said there is no food or drinks past 10:00pm. Any meals that we had elsewhere on the island were great! Service was always excellent! There is no beach at the resort. The grounds very nice. We did go to Orient Beach , Philipsburg (actually a few times) and Mullet Beach. Take the tour offered at the hotel of the island. Got some great pictures and souveniers. I don't remember her name, but she was great and didn't drive like a maniac. We did go the Maho Beach to see the planes land and take-off. Must see this. There is no other place where you can be that close to a jet. Had great time at the Sunset Bar and Grill. Service and food was excellent. We will definately be going back to St. Maarten but will not stay at the Sonesta Maho Resort. We paid way too much money for what we got!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room that faces the bay. You can watch the planes land and take off and see the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!