“Maho staff make the stay enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Rhine Road, Maho, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Toronto, Canada
“Maho staff make the stay enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very nice country and people.The hotel is a bit outdated but situated in a pretty cool location, rooms were very clean and comfortable.The restaurant staff in particular made our stay even more enjoyable, especially restaurant supervisors Sharon & Sasha, Sheryl(bartender), Augustin(cook) and the drivers who kept us dry, shuttling us to the restaurants during the rains that followed Tropical storm Raphael

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

2nd visit to this beautiful island, first to this resort, amazing time! Yeah the rooms are a little out dated, they are working on it. Everything in our room worked (especially the little fridge) and that's all that matters. If you are complaining about the room you are spending too much time in your room, not cool with so many other things to do.Champagne on arrival, very nice.Housekeeping, excellent!! Food was good, especially the pizza(whenever they had it, I was eating it!) Paul and Jules went out of there way to help my allergic girlfriend (as well as others). Drinks fantastic, bartenders even better! Sheryl (pool bar) the best, even when busy, kept her composure and still took the time to engage everyone in hilarious conversation, Mathew at the lobby bar cool as a cucumber in amidst the impatient and drunken tourists(he should be paid more on karaoke nights, literally torture!)So many things to do on the island, staying at the hotel everyday for 7 days would be a crime-rent a car-tour the island, day trip to Anguilla(must do), bus to Phillipsburg for shopping, day trip to St. Barth's(another must do), Mullet beach (walking distance from hotel), Orient beach(to see old nude people), surfing at Le gaileon, I could go on. One last thing I would like to add, how hard is it to give $1-2 dollars out to the staff as you receive a drink or a meal? I really think they appreciate it, and I notice so many people NOT doing it. If you received good service a small tip would go a long way!
Finish your construction and we will be back next year!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just returned from the Sonesta Maho Hotel in St. Marrten.
From Oct. 18th to 25th.
First time in St. Marrten and it will not be my last.
I travelled with my wife and another couple with Sunwing Vacations.
Check-in is at 3:00 pm, we knew this because of the reviews.
So you go and have a drink and lunch. Be prepared, put sandals and
swimwear in a carry on, no be deal.
The Hotel is under renovations and I think that they’re trying their best to
keep everything working as best as they can.
The pool area is always a fun place to hang out. The guys at the towel hut are
always trying to get people to play games. Sheryl the bartender was as nice
as they come, she always greeted us with a big good morning while setting up for the day.
Felicia and Ramon at the other bars were good also. A please & a thank-you goes a long way. Lunchtime at the Palm Grill, Marilyn was are waitress for most of the week. We all
tried different things off the menu, everything was great. ( I forgot to mention that they
Serve cans of Beer here, Presidente, Coors Light, Heineken on tap.) It’s a Guy Thing.
Dinner is another thing all together, because of the reno’s, only 1 al la cart was open
4 of the 7 nights. We ate there 3 times and again enjoyed our meals. (AC here)
2 nights we ventured out to a couple of places, Pineapple Pete’s for Sunday afternoon
Football, at least 10 TV screens, beer and munchies. (Chicken wings). Dinner was at their restaurant just down from the sports bar. You have to try the Mahi Mahi and the Chicken & Ribs. Again all was great. The other restaurant is just outside the hotel called Sopranos they served pizza and pasta. Because there isn’t any entertainment at night that I saw we tended to go for walks down the strip just outside the hotel. The Girls enjoyed shopping in the Jewelry and Perfume stores, they also found an ice cream shop. The Casino Royal is across the street from the hotel. Another must see is Mullet Bay beach. It’s just a 5-7 min walk from the hotel. $5 for a chair and umbrella, $2 beers. We went Saturday afternoon wasn’t too busy. A lot of locals on Sunday we were told.
At the hotel on Wednesday night they have a beach party with crab races, $3 to enter. There was a lot of choices for dinner, chicken, ribs, fish and roast beef. It was a nice way to end our week of fun in the sun with friends in St. Marrten.

PS - Quality Time - a Catamaran tour around the island is also a must.
Melody is the contact for this tour operator
Vanessa was our Sunwing rep, nice job

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ECongierge, General Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Valid Guest,

We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a great time here at Sonesta St Maarten. We will tell Falicia, Ramon, Marilyn and Vanessa that they were a real added value to your vacation. The beach party with the crab races is absolutely a hit everytime and we are glad that you enjoyed it.
We hope to see you back soon!

Sonesta St Maarten Management
Miramar, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have writing so many times and stayed in so many hotels world wide. But i never write anything negative, as experiences have been good. But i have to tell you, i have never in 25 years of traveling, stayed at hotel so bad in my life. The amount of problems since my arrival there, where too many to mention. From entering the hotel lobby, no AC, it was worst that a sauna and they had small fans around, was so bad. The 4 days we stayed there for an event, they turned the water off, for at least 5 hours daily, i payed for internet service and it worked 50% of the time and at night, never did. Called IT they transfer me to service desk, they cold not help, as they could not find my payment information, even when i had the invoice confirmation e-mail with me!
AC in the rooms, was just blowing air, as it worked with the water turbine and since there was no water, it was not working. I have never been in a room with so much humidity, all my clothing and papers, where all humid everyday that i came back to my room.
My room location was on the 8th floor, as i was so high, the water pressure, when there was water was so minimal, i had to stand there for at least 25 minutes to shower, and the worst part was there was hardly any hot water in the floor.
We had a group over 100+ there for the event, and everyone complained, but there was nothing done. Everyone on the front desk, every time you stopped to tell them about any issues, they will tell you can hold on, while they talked between them and in spanish as well.

Room Tip: High Floor have great view of beach and pool, but you hardly have any water pressure. Stay away from...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We always do our up most best to make sure that our guests do have a good time. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.
We did send you an personal message to look into your complaints.

Sonesta Maho’s Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My friend and I just returned from a week at the Sonesta Maho in St Maarten and we loved it. The service was wonderful, the food was super and the hotel was great. We had a beautiful room with very comfortable beds on the first floor. Even though the hotel was doing renovations, it did not interfere with our enjoyment of the place. The place was clean, the pool was great with the swim up bar. The hotel wasn't full so it was nice during meal times not to worry about finding a table as only one restaurant was serving every day. The other two were open on the weekend. I can't say any bad about this place and we both said we would return there again. Highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ECongierge, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear valued guest,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sonesta St Maarten. We really do our upmost best to make sure our guests enjoy every second of their vacation.
Thank you for staying at Sonesta St Maarten and we hope to see you back soon!

Sonesta St Maarten management
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was my first trip to St. Maarten, we stayed from June 14-21 (yes I know my review is quite late!) I travelled with my bf, and it was also our first all inclusive. I read a lot of reviews before booking, and I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical because of all the negative comments I read about the check in, the staff etc.

We arrived at the resort around 1:30 pm, we were greeted with a fruity drink, and we were told check in wasn’t until 3 pm. Arnaldo, the guest experience manager was very kind and friendly and told us to grab something to eat, relax, and come back around 3 and he would take care of us. When we got our room number, it was on the 5th floor, we go up with all our luggage, open the door to find a dirty room that has not yet been cleaned, towels all over the floor, and no one was even in there cleaning it. We go back downstairs to speak with Arnaldo, he calls housekeeping to find out the room would only be cleaned in the next hour or so. So he upgraded us to a newly renovated room on the 6th floor, but informed us that the room wouldn’t be ready for the next 45 mins if we don’t mind waiting. We were able to leave our luggage with the bell man, and we decided to walk around the resort to explore a bit. When we return 45 mins later, we checked with Arnaldo, who again calls housekeeping to verify if the room is ready, he informed us it would be another 20 mins. At this point, my bf and I are really frustrated because it was 4:30 pm and we still didn’t have a room. We decided to wait around in the lobby for 20 mins, and then after go up ourselves to see if it was cleaned. 20 mins have gone by, we get there, and the housekeeper only just started to clean the room and told us it would be another 20-30 mins. To make this short, we only ended up getting our room at 5:45 pm. I had read a lot of reviews where people complained about the room, and didn’t want to believe it until it happened to us. I was really disappointed, because we got our room so late, we didn’t get to enjoy the beach or pool, and we felt like we wasted the first day of our trip and I was really discouraged. Arnaldo was kind enough to upgrade us to a newly renovated room, but he also said he would send us something special to our room to compensate us for all the trouble we went through, but throughout the whole week we were there, we got nothing. What I didn’t understand was the hotel has a strict policy of checking out at 11 am, and check in is only at 3 pm. That gives housekeeping 4 hrs to clean the rooms.. What are they doing that we only got our room by 6 pm? The newly renovated rooms are much nicer, so make sure you ask for a room on the 6th floor or higher. We had a city view, so we were overlooking the street with casino, and a dirty rooftop, but that didn’t really matter to us. The room itself was very nice with ceramic floors, and it was cleaned on a daily basis. Bathroom was nice, no complaints there.

The staff seemed like they did not want to be there, they were not very pleasant unless you tipped them. Some people were genuinely nice from the get go, like Arnaldo, Matthew (the hotel lobby bartender), Felicia (the bartender from the Palms Grill), and there was a guy working around the front desk, I think he was the bell man, but I’m not sure, he looked a lot like Sean Kingston, so that’s what me and my bf called him, but he was very pleasant and always smiled! Other than that, I read a lot of reviews and praises for Sheryl, but to be honest, she did not seem pleasant whatsoever when we would spend the day by the pool bar. We tipped her and she didn’t even acknowledge it. She did not seem happy to serve anyone really.

The food was average. I can’t compare it to Cuba or Domincan, because I’ve never been there. There was the buffet in the Ocean Terrace building that is opened for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Palms Grill is open daily from 11 am-6 pm, that’s where you go if you want snack or burgers/hot dogs. We went there for lunch majority of the days and they never had any chicken wings available. The resort only has 1 a la carte restaurant The Pointe which by the way is closed on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. So basically on those days you don’t have a choice but to eat at the buffet. The food at The Pointe was average, and the staff did not look happy to serve you (especially the hostess that seats you).

Moving on, we booked with Sunwing, and the rep we had Natacha, was really not pleasant. She was not helpful whatsoever, and didn’t even seem to care when we had the problem with our room during check in. There was an orientation the following morning after we arrived, and she did not provide any useful information. During the orientation the sunwing rep kept encouraging the group to do all sorts of activities that sunwing organizes, and of course these activities cost extra. She was all about collecting money, money, money. So if you plan on doing a lot of activities, make sure to bring a lot of cash. Even though we paid for the all inclusive, we ended up spending a lot of money there because we did some of the activities. The Island Tour (from 9 am to 1:30 pm) is a must do, it’s 45$ per person and you get to see so much. Mullet beach is a must see, its literally a 10 min walk from the resort, and the beach is much much nicer than the beach at the resort. We also went to Orient beach for the day and did the parasailing, we had to organize our transportation with sunwing because it was cheaper than taking a cab, it was 25$ per person for round trip, but note that you go from 9-3 pm, leaving at 3 pm kind of sucked because it was right in the middle of the afternoon, I don’t know why they don’t offer to come around 5 pm for pick up. If you choose to cab it, it’s 18$ per person to, and 18$ to come back which comes out to $36, but the plus side is you get to stay as long as you want.

Nightly entertainment was a huge let down, we thought there would be shows and things for us to do in the evening after dinner, but most evenings, we ended up going back to our room at 11 pm and watching a movie. They had only 2 shows (cultural dance shows) and a bbq on the beach on our last night we were there. So for the remaining 4 nights, we went to the casino, and walked around the resort. They had a night club Tantra right across the street, but we didn’t go there. There’s a restaurant called Cherri’s that’s right across the street from the resort, and they always had live entertainment going on, but you have to pay to sit down and watch (i.e. order a drink or get something to eat).

We found that even though we paid for the all inclusive, there was nothing really much that was included other than food. We had to go out and do activities to keep ourselves entertained during the day. A fun thing to do is to go into town (Phillipsburg) and explore. It’s a 2$ bus ride and only takes 20 mins without traffic. On Saturdays they have the creole market, sort of like a flee market where you can bargain and get a ton of souvenirs and stuff. Just be careful of your purse and money. We walked along the boardwalk and visited Sonesta Great Bay (the sister resort). Even though this resort was not as nice on the outside as the Maho, the staff was so much friendlier! What a difference! The pool bartender Nigel is ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!! Compared to Sheryl, he is so friendly, warm and welcoming! He made us feel so welcomed, and we were only there for the day.. I would definitely recommend going there for the day, it’s included in the all inclusive.

All in all, for my first all inclusive, it was an ok trip. I expected more because of the amount of money I paid, but if I do decide to go back to the island, I probably would not end up staying at this resort!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room on the 6th floor or higher!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ECongierge, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review, we appriciate that you took the time to write down your experience.
Since your visit in June we have been improving in a lot of area's and we are getting a lot of positive feedback on it from our guests. I hope we can welcome you back soon so you can experience it as well!

Sonesta st Maarten Management
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This resort has a great pool area, great location, with lots of nice restaurants, beach etc close by
But, and there is a huge but here.
The resort has several different rooms, and room types.
The newly renowated ones, in the main tower are nice rooms, especially th ones with ocean view.
The rooms in the main tower that are not renowated, and have the old 80`s style are ok. But nearly as nice.
All rooms in the garden terrace building are crap. They are damp, smelly, and crappy bathrooms.
I have at 2 occations booked ocean view rooms, in the main tower, and specified that I want the new interior, but have recived old style rooms.
The prices are also different, so it should be easy to book the correct rooms.
But at reception it is not that easy, as they say they can never guarantee ocean view etc. Even if you do pay for it.
Reception staff try to help, but it result in a lot of extra work for them, and for the guest to change rooms etc.

Room Tip: Make shure to get a written confirmation about the room you book. If you book and pay for ocean view...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you had a challenge with the different room types. We do have a lot of different room types and we always try to place our guests in the best room available in the booked category.
However we are happy that you did appreciate the pool area, location and the restaurants. We hope to see you back soon.

Sonesta St Maarten Management

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!