“Great week” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maho
Montreal, Canada
“Great week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a really nice stay at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino.

The food was beyond our expectation. The food was incredible. There are so many choices in the buffet. Also, the pizza is really good and the desserts, very good choice of desserts. It's the first time, I gained a few pounds in vacations.

Room: We were not in a renovated room so, yes, our room was a bit outdated but it was really clean.
No complaint

The hotel is a bit far from Philisburg but you can easily go by bus.
Also, you can ask day pass to go to the Sonesta Great Bay which is very close to Philisburgh.

You have to take the bus (2$) and go to Marigot especially on Market Day.

Internet: It is very expensive. I would recommand going to Marigot at the Public Library. You could go on internet for a very low fee.
I would definitely go back.
very good quality for the price

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager1201, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your trip! We are glad you enjoyed the food so much. Our chefs have been working very hard to create new and exciting menu items for our guests. We hope you can return soon for another wonderful vacation!

Sonesta Maho’s Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Finnish first
Great Exuma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to St Martin for the first time Sept 5th-9th. Originally, I was very afraid of what to expect after reading the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, but I must say after walking through the doorS to the lobby, my worries were over and I was quite impressed.

Living on an island (in the Bahamas) and working at a 4 star hotel, I know that there are challenges that are faced daily because we are not fortunate to have everything at our fingertips, such as the USA, Canada or England per say, so the little things do not bother me much.

The only issue that I had staying at Sonesta, was the food. I must be honest and say that food was not very tasty, but it didnt matter so much to me because we ate out many nights and wanted to get a taste of the real island food. Other than the food, which did not in any way ruin my trip, our room was nice and it was clean, the lobby was beautiful and clean, the pool was cleaned every morning and it was very nice, the staff were very friendly, and I could go on and on.

To those of you commenting about the lobby and public area being hot, yes there was no air condition, but it was never hot, there always seemed to be a cool breeze blowing through that area. And might I add that there are tons of guests in and out of the pool, so after coming out of the pool the temperature going up to your room is quite comfortable.

I love love love your island, and it was so great to experience something so similar to home, but yet so different and such a different culture.

We will definitely be back!

Sasha and Nelson
Exuma, The Bahamas

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sasha and Nelson,

We are so glad you loved St. Maarten so much and had such a wonderful time at Sonesta Maho! We think this island and Maho offer something truly special and are glad you thought so too. We cannot wait to welcome you back for another amazing vacation!

Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We just love St. Maarten....Like I said this will be our 5th time and our sons 1st...they are 18 and 21 years old...We stayed last time at the Sonesta and loved it....I am hoping it is going to be as great as the last...Since, we talk about it ALL the time to them...one is a wonderful photographer and I am hoping to have a great room with a wonderful view.....PLEASE....PLEASE....
We are coming December 24th-December 31st....never wanted to go out of town for the holidays but this year I can't wait to be in St. Maarten and stay at the Sonesta.....My 18 year old just graduated from high school and is in college.....21 year old just turned 21.....and me and my husband just turned 50....so its a special year.....
It scares me to read some of the comments but I am hoping we will have a wonderful time!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager1201, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted you are bringing your two sons back with you. We know they will have a wonderful time here! We hope your son can get some amazing photos while he is here. The holidays are always a special place here. We can’t wait to see you!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Maho Resort with my family and we had an amazing time!

The Maho Beach Resort is beautiful and caters to couples, singles and families who just want a nice week of R&R. There are 2 pools although we spent all our time in the large main pool. (It was just gorgeous!). We also had great fun playing beach volleyball in the pool and on sand everyday to burn off all those all you can eat calories. I absolutely loved the food! I gained 5 pounds during my stay if that says anything. What I also enjoyed was the variety. Everyday there was something new, fresh and delicious. Make sure to try the wood oven pizza...to die for.

When we arrived we were greeted with warm smiles and the check in process was seamless. Our rooms were ready early and we had a spectacular view of the Caribbean Sea. (Breathtaking!)…I loved watching the planes land from my balcony..one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

I want to send a special thanks to the following individuals. The service provided by the below individuals made our stay extra special and took our experience to the next level.

Daniel Cazarin- Upper Management
Ferone, Denroy - Activity staff
Sean Kingston (I forgot his name although he looked exactly like him)- Bell Boy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager1201, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so thrilled you and your family had a wonderfully relaxing vacation at Sonesta Maho! We agree that there is something for everyone to do at Maho and in St. Maarten. We will be sure to let our chefs know how much you enjoyed the cuisine and share your kind words with our staff. We hope you can return soon!

Corbyville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned from Maho and another great vacation there Sept 6th to 13th. Our room was great, food supreme (and what great presentation) and what a joy to see ALL the friendly staff. A special thanks to Milton and the great changes that he has made adding the pizza and chicken BBQ to the menu. Can't wait for our next return in a few months. Sunwing girls, Natasha and Vanessa are a real asset and glad they have added this resort to their schedules. A special thanks to you all and keep the Zinfandel on tap!! Your Canadian friends......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager1201, Manager at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We’re glad you had another wonderful time with us here at Sonesta Maho. We thank you for noticing the new menu items, a sign of more amazing cuisine to come. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I visited this place again on July 2012. This month have a 20% discount for been a "low season" time. I booked the all inclusive deal. Couldnt be better. All the staff from the check in to the check out was fantastic. So many people from Dominican Republic, so nice and gentle staff. I have to mention, Lionel at check in, Victoria at the dining room, Ramon at the bar, Maria the housekeeper, made my vacation each time better.n This hotel is right in front of Maho Beach. You pay a couple of more bucks, but you do not need to rent a car, bus at $2 can be taken in front of the hotel, you can go to Phillisburg or Marigot for $1 orv $2 dollars. The drivers are so nice. My last day i was waiting for the bus in front of the hotel, i was talking to another lady in the bus stop, she was a local, one of her neighbors stopped and took me with her to the airport. This people from St Martin are so friendly, that when i was walking from the airport to the hotel (is 5 minutes walking), people wanted to take me there. Everybody in this island knows how important are tourist for their economy. We have to learn so much from them. Hey, there must be also bad people, like any other place, so be careful always. I did not see them, but walk carefully. Hotek room have a coffemaker, a fridge and a small stove.

The hotel staff did a barbecue for the guest with all tables and chairs outside. They work very hard. It feels like we were a family. Having dinner together. There was live music and cooking. I stayed at room 3-604 from my balcony i could see planes landing. Coulnt be better, Thank you Lionel.

If you want a perfect vacation, this is the place, great facilities, pools, night movies at the pool area, great food. Close to the airport...this is the place. See pictures. I will keep going Ramon, to have more beers, you also Vistoria, was so professional. Thank you all people.! I read other reviews of people complaining. Hey, read before going, we have so many tools, internet, u tbe, tripadvisor, read. Know where are the places. Ask, this people work hard for you. They deserve good reviews.,.!!!!

Room Tip: You can take the bus to Phillisburg or Marigot for $2.00. You can walk to and from the airport. Is a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

It sounds like in the short time you were here St. Maarten became a second home. We are so happy you were able to see so much and interact with the locals, this is why we are known as the “friendly island.” We will be sure to let everyone know what a great job they did making you feel welcome. We hope you can return soon for another wonderful vacation.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This has been the best vacation yet! Arriving to St.Maarten, hotel is NOT far what so ever! About 5 min bus ride and you get to see the island abit. Weather was beautiful! Hotel rooms and staff is AMAZING. Very nice and polite people! They help you with anything you need! The animators, Ferone, Arony, Mario etc were great entertainers by the pool! Their activites were fun and they always knew how to get the crowd going! Best entertainers ever :) Bartenders are so polite and sociable, I loved going to talk with them everyday and they would tell me where the great spots were to go visit. TANTRA is the club to be at!! ESP tourism night! Crowd + music was AMAZING. Food and service, swear I couldnt ask for anything better :) I dont know why people complained about the planes being too noisy or too close? Everytime a plane was taking off or landing, everyone's head turned and cameras were out taking pictures of how cool it was cause you dont see that everyday! I disagree completely with the comment on the planes! Overall, best vacation ever and i cannot wait to go back in December :) Theis island is a must see and hotel is a must stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so honored that St. Maarten and your stay at Sonesta Maho ranks as your best vacation ever! We are thrilled you had such a wonderful time with us. We look forward to seeing you again in December!

Sonesta Maho’s Management

Been to Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!