“Old hotel, small rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kelso
Tampa, Florida, USA
“Old hotel, small rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Located on the square in Kelso. The hotel has been around since the Crusades or so it seems. The rooms are small as are the baths. The breakfast is good, a typical Scottish breakfast. Do not expect a late night as the bar closes between 10:30-11 depending on the bartender's discretion.

Room Tip: Pick a room off the square, much quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Kelso, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you are looking for great take away fish and chips go no further than the Cross Keys Hotel. Served in it's own box with peas and a variety of sauces this is a real find with light batter and crisp (rather than soggy) chips. This may seem like a piece of self promotion but I have had this several times now and it is truly fantastic so give it a try and I am sure you will agree. Just call the main number and order it from reception - could not be easier!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My parents, my wife and I had the pleasure of the Sunday Carvery at the Cross Keys Hotel, Kelso on 19th May. Well, my parents and I did: my wife had fish and chips. The surroundings were very nice, clean and airy and the service was very good.

The food on the carvery was excellent. The meats were beef, pork and gammon and they were accompanied by gravy, carrots, peas, roast and boiled potatoes, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pudding and pureed turnip.

I can’t fault any of it. Even my hard to impress dad was impressed. My wife also thoroughly enjoyed her fish and chips and the deserts also went down well. I had the cheese board which again, was very nice: a good selection of cheeses, plenty of it and a really nice chutney to go with the cheese as well. Sometimes with the cheese option, you don’t get that much and it’s expensive but that certainly wasn’t the case here. Even the coffee hit the spot.

All in all, excellent value, excellent food and excellent service. The icing on the cake was that my parent picked up the tab!

Room Tip: Get there a bit earlier so you've got time for seconds from the carvery.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We decieded to do the ~Coast to Castle route from Edinburgh to Tynemouth in May 2013. We set off from Edinburgh about 10am and cycled down through Scotland to Kelso where we stayed at Cross Keys Hotel. Cold and tied we were warmy welcomed and congratulated on our achievement that day. We arrived quite late but the hotel made sure the kitchen stayed open to cater for our party, for which we were very pleased! The rate the hotel offers to cyclists is very good; we paid £45 dinner,bed and breakfast. The meals and service were excellent, huge choice and very well served. The hotel stored our bikes in the cellar so they were safe. As weleft the next morning the receptionists wished us well and produced protein bars and banans for us which Ithought was a lovely touch. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Scottish Borders
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently we visited the Cross Keys for a Carvery Lunch to celebrate a birthday, the whole experience was fantastic!! The restaurant was busy so there was plenty going on but waiting staff were still very friendly and helpful. The food smelt lovely as soon as you walked through the door, we all opted for the Carvery lunch, 3 meats to choose from but you could have a slice of each if you wanted, Plenty of vegetables and potatoes to choose from with lovely homemade yorkshire puddings, one thing i definately recommend is the turnip, never tasted turnip like it in my life. Definately a place to return!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Recently stayed here in the premier room for one night B&B, at £150 I was hoping for a good room and breakfast. Unfortunately the room required updating and the tv was very old, with sound not very good.The room was huge and very empty with two single beds together to create a double bed. The bed was comfortable however. I feel for the amount of money I paid the room should have been modernised, there was certainly nothing premier about it. At breakfast time I was again disappointed. We went down for breakfast at 10am, breakfast was served until 10.30am so I assumed there would still be cooked food and with a full half hour to go food would be filled up. However, there was hardly any cooked breakfast foods left and despite seeing the empty hot trays noone attempted to fill these up. Overall, really disappointed as £150 is a lot of money in my opinion and I feel I did not get my moneys worth. Unfortunately I won't be coming back or recommending to any friends.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Halstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed on 3night special offer fantastic price for DBB and dinner had a great choice of two menus. Food was excellent and breakfast had a good choice. Staff very helpful and friendly Would highly recommend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cross Keys Hotel? Share your experiences!