“The worst hotel we have ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 stars

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Fort William, Ballachulish PH49 4HL, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballachulish
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel we have ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

A lovely, enviable location but everything else was absolutely terrible; the room was very tired and unclean but very expensive, the food was horrible prepared rubbish and very over priced, the service was amateurish and unprofessional but worst of all the whole hotel was very dirty and unhygienic. Never again.

I suspect some of the good reviews may be pseudonyms from the hotel because I just cannot rationalise anyone thinking this hotel is ok, especially at the rates they try to charge!

Room Tip: I cannot recommend anything about this hotel or the rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and even more disappointed that you chose to air your views on this site rather than asking to speak to a manager, to give us an opportunity to try and resolve the issues that you had.
I can assure you that all positive reviews are genuine and it is unfortunate that we cannot please everyone.
If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do contact me on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Buxton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel was in a beautiful location. Nestled on the edge of Loach Leven i felt like i was on board a ship when i looked out of my room in the morning. The room was lovely and large, The bathroom spacious. Clean and modern. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had an early breakfast sat over looking the Loch, stunning. We eat in the hotel the first night which was ok but we went to a near by pub- Bistro the second night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next door to the hotel is a small boating lodge where you can hire boats or go on trips on the Loch which we did on our frist night. The couple who took us out were extremly knowledgable about the area and very freindly. We bought a lovely painting on slate that the lady does in the boat lodge.

Room Tip: Family room very spacious
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and had the opportunity to get out on the loch on a boat trip. I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and clean and enjoyed the view afforded by your room. I have passed on your thanks to the team for their friendliness and helpfulness. We always work very hard to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Isles again in the future.

Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stay here only to look out the window (but look beyond the glass though as the windows were filthy with cobwebs and bird droppings - this is in the dining room and the bedroom). Dont look too closely inside either - the whole place is just tired and verging on unhygienic. Dining room chairs were ripped, torn and stained; dining tables are all scuffed and ring marked; dead flies on the window sill; a beetle on the fruit bowl at breakfast; and a bee on my (dried up) croissant in the morning and one crawling up my arm at dinner; staff act like dinner ladies trying to corral a coach load of unruly kids (probably more used to catering for tour coaches); someone elses dinner bill was added to our room; 21 yr old malt was charged to the room when we only had the 12 yr old (as a result of all the cock ups on the bill checkout took close to an hour while we tallied the right amount for them); food was luke warm and average. Fawlty towers anyone? Such as shame as it is great location but we wont be going back until they renovate this place. The Ballachulish hotel went the same way and I wouldnt go back there either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that it was not as you had hoped. We are awaiting new furniture for the lounge and restaurant and hope that this will happen soon.
I apologise that there was a mix up with your account and that this took some time to rectify. This has been addressed with the Restaurant management team so that they ensure their staff are all confident on the tills and charging to the correct rooms.
I am sorry that you felt that the food was lukewarm and average. In general, the most recent comments have been very complimentary regarding the food and any issues that have been brought to our attention have been addressed at the time.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Travelers are raving about these Ballachulish hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just came back from a lovely night at the isles of Glencoe! The hotel is not particularly fancy but the room was fine and the kids enjoyed the pool ! The food was not fantastic although the dessert was pretty good. What stood out was the staff every single member of staff we encountered was so friendly and helpful. It made our stay stress free when is fairly unusual when travelling with 3 young children, I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a young family ! The location is pretty impressive too !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I am delighted as are my team that you felt that we were friendly and helpful and that this helped to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again in the future.

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Some of the other reviews are a bit OTT, for sure the hotel is tired but the staff are great, the location is amazing. But it is true to say that what ever big corporation owns this place is taking the piss while taking the profits. We've stayed in lots of similarly priced hotels in the highlands in the past few weeks and this was not the best value for money. The decor is unloved and it's so busy and so expensive they're is NO WAY they can't afford to refurbish. Corporate greed. I think the Lanoch Inn down the road is raking in the benefits though. You'd do better in a B&B where the owners care.
The reception manager could not have been more helpful in helping us find somewhere else to eat and even booking a table there for us (The Lanoch - highly recommended) because the restaurant at the hotel was supposedly full, though it was half empty when we came to the bar after dinner. Incidentally, the bar was full of canoodling couples, of an age that told me they were either quite old newly weds or having a bit of a naughty night away with someone else's spouse. Hmm. It's Mrs McMiggin's B&B for us next time, I don't need to be witnessing these shenanigans over my whisky.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and am sorry that we were unable to accommodate you for dinner at the time that you were looking for.
I fully appreciate your thoughts in regards to the decor of the Hotel and we are currently awaiting word for work to take place which will give the Hotel the TLC that it needs.
Many thanks again.

Ayr
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was most disappointed to find this hotel "tired" since my previous stay there. The interior of this hotel is needing a good clean and refurbishment. Sitting down to breakfast in the conservatory was rather unpleasant as a dirty wine glass from the previous evening was still sitting on the window sill and the widow sill had not been wiped and a number of dead flies were lying on it. Sofas, chairs and carpets are in serious need of replacing.
The food at dinner was very disappointing apart from the sticky toffee pudding. I had to return my starter of salmon terreine (which was tasteless and disappointing) this was replaced by soup which was acceptable. This was followed by sliced turkey and a sauce - unfortunately this course was not warm. Breakfast however, was good but once again the food in the hot food counter was not hot.
It is very sad as this hotel is in a most beautiful location but requires serious attention and investment from the owners.
I will not return to or recommend this hotel until it gets the TLC that it and the staff deserve.

Room Tip: The rooms to the front have a most beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologise that your most recent stay with us was not as you had hoped and that you have found the Hotel to have become tired since your last stay. I appreciate your feedback and my managers do recognise that the Hotel is in need of investment, which we are patiently waiting to happen.
I apologise that there was a wine glass on the window sill from the night before at breakfast and that the sills had not been wiped down and I have taken this up with my Restaurant team.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dinner experience and again I have taken your comments up with my Kitchen team. I am concerned that you indicate that your food was not hot as the plates are held in a warmer in the Kitchen before being served. Also at Breakfast, the hot counter is held at temperature and checked on a regular basis and topped up also. However, I have also addressed this with the Kitchen to ensure that everything is piping hot as it should be.
I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Isles in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Where to start!!
Have been to this hotel on a number of occasions over the last 7 years primarily as we enjoy this part of the country with great walks and that we could take our dog with us, The hotel has been very tired for years(in fact the same furniture is in the lounge only a lot dirtier) however on this trip the cleanliness was shocking, brown grouting in the shower tiles & base and rotten wood in the bathroom. The furniture in the room had worn patches and actual holes in the chair & sofa. I doubt that the windows have been cleaned in years as there are well established layers of dirt and spiders webs. I was going to venture into the pool but it was dirty around the edges so did not bother!! Despite all this the food always been good so we thought ...big mistake. We have always been able to choose from a proper menu ( what you would expect from any good hotel) not at th Isle of Glencoe!!!! An A4 sheet of paper with 4 starters, 4 mains & 4 desserts... The portions of which will not feed a sparrow and the main courses were £ 15 each. Since when did fish pie have 2 small pieces of fish with 6 minuscule mussels with a piece of puff pastry on top....really not good!!! Drinks also overpriced!!
Visited the Ballaheulisch for a drink and heard similar from their guests.. So no hope for the sister hotel either. The company who own these hotels need to get a grip and invest in their properties. They have the locations , they have friendly helpful staff so its obvious where the problem lies. I will not be back and advise anyone not to go even for special offers such as groupons till these hotels are sorted out. I am not looking for a response to this post as management responses seem to be a cut and paste exercise and full of platitudes. There have been revamp plans for the last 5years. I know it is difficult economic times but stop ripping off your guests with sub standard facilities

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. As requested, I am not going to post a response to the issues you have raised, but my Regional Operations Director will be in touch with you direct to discuss the issues you had.

Tracy Mackintosh

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!