“Nice setting but....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballachulish
Inverness
“Nice setting but....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

We had stayed at this hotel in the past before Folio hotels aquired it and really enjoyed our stay,but now you can tell that it is no longer in the hands of the original people.
Little things here and there give the impression of a lack of attention to detail.For example,in the lounge area,there is water damage and peeling paintwork that should not be visible in such a high cost tarrif hotel.Cobwebs in the room really are not acceptable.In the rooms there were no complimentary toiletries as there were in the past.

Upon dining in the restaurant,I (like other people I talked to) were somewhat takenaback on the amount of surcharges that were listed.For example,£4.95 for mussels and 3 different surcharges ranging from £4.95 to £9.95 for three different weights of steak? The haunch of venison that I ordered looked s uspiciously like a ready meal.The vegetable selection seemed as if it had been reheated.
Overall the hotel could really do with examining its pricing structure and quality of food.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Surcharges and food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed here with our 18 month old daughter after a recommendation from a friend.

The room was a bit like a travelodge but the view was fantastic and I guess that is what you are paying for. We had requested a cot which wasn't in the room and we had to go and ask for that.

We tried to book a table for dinner as a family but none of the times were suitable so our daughter ate at the childrens table at 6 but the waitress was looking blankly at me when I was asking for a table, childrens meal was very good value for money. We had dinner later which was very average. It is obviously bus party food mass produced. Our starter arrived minutes after we ordered, then the main course came straight after, the waitress then cleared the plates as I was still eating without asking if we were finished, then dessert arrived. It felt very rushed as if they were trying to get rid of us. Breakfast was much better with a good variety of food.

The scottish staff in this hotel are excellent and are extremely helpful, but some serious work needs to be done with the non english speaking staff. They don't acknowledge you are there, walk straight past you when you are waiting to be seated and pick up and put down plates without speaking.

I would recommend this hotel for the views but not if you want a nice relaxing evening having a lazy dinner!

• Liked — Views
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Dumfries
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights. The staff were friendly, efficient and proffesional. The views surrounding the hotel are beautiful to say the least. The breakfast was buffet style and plentiful and piping hot. The views in the breakfast room though is so good that you would have to be rolled from your table as you just didnt want to leave. We only had one evening meal here and it wasnt cheap and we left our table after two courses actually still peckish ( and we arent big eaters!), but it was perfectly cooked and fresh salad etc. On the whole the food was of excellent quality. Just watch the wine at £5.50 per glass you should do what we did and buy in a bottle and sit outside sapping up the surrounding mountains.
We didnt use the pool as it looked quite small and un appealing.
The room was quite small, and not 4 star clean. The fittings werent the best and there was dust on mostly everything. The rating is certainly 4star in the criteria of Visit Scotland as they supplied everything required for 4 star, but the room was an average 2/3 star rating. We had room 203 right above the entrance door( quite possibly the worst location of any room in the hotel), so unable to comment on the other rooms which may be of better standard. The shower was brilliant tho and would have torn and burned the skin off you if you let it.
We wouldnt stay again simply because we always like trying new places, but we would however recommend it to anyone who wishes to stay in the heart of one of the most beautiful locations scotland has to offer.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

This Hotel is excellent !!!!!!!!! A++++ I can't rated it highly enough. I have visited this Hotel 3 times at different times of the year over several years and always found it to be excellent. Fantastic view, great food, good service and also a leisure centre and outdoor centre next door. Good location to visit Oban and Fort William, great place to stay, why not try it out for yourself I am sure you will be impressed.

• Liked — Large comfortable room with a great view.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

After a disaster at the nearby Holly Tree Hotel (see review) myself and my boyfirend ended up at this hotel, mainly for the leisure facilities. We were greeted with a very warm welcome from the reception staff and they offered us a key to a room to have a look around before booking. The view from our room was fantastic and the room itself (a family room) was huge. Unfortunately this is where the good bits end.

We visited the swimming pool which was small but adequate for a quick swim and there is a sauna aswell. Be warned though, this is a family orientated hotel so the swimming pool was full of rather excitable jumping splashing children and due to the size of the pool we gave up our swim after 10 mins. We booked a table for dinner and asked for a table by the window which we were given, the views are fantastic. There was 1 waitress in our area for around 10 tables and we had to wait over half an hour for a drinks order and our wine, despite there being 4 other waitresses in the next room. Not a big moan, it just ruined the taste of the starter as it was so dry. The food was very poor, im not a master chef by any means but i could have cooked much better at home and at an upgrade of £20 per person, just not acceptable. There was a coach party in the restaurant too and my suspicion now is that all of the meals were prepared earlier and then either microwaved or covered in sauce and put under a hot plate. The food was generally covered in a very thick sauce which hid the meat and made the meal itself very heavy, even dessert was poor. My boyfirend had a the cholocate fudge cake which was clearly microwaved and i opted for the safe option of the cheese board, or so i thought! I was given a few bits of cheese and plate of jacobs crackers! All in all the food was mass produced rubbish. Aswell as this our starter was served literally 2 minutes after ordering and out mains was put down as they cleared the starters away. We were served a 3 course meal in under 45mins! There is very little atmosphere in this hotel so we retired to the room to watch tv. The insulation in the hotel is rubbish. We had one of the German coach party above us who got up at 6am and started doing circuit laps of the bedrooms until after 8am! The bedrooms were big but not that big so it will remain a mystery as to what all the walking around was for!
Bit of a disappointment, especially as we were so blown away by the views. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone and certainly wont be back, poor 3* if anything.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Ballachulish hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

Like many other reviewers here I booked the room for a discounted rate (sunday night). Because of this I felt I got excellent value for money, but I don't think I would have been as happy if I had paid the full price.
Having said that, my fiance and I had a fabulous time. Our room was on the ground floor and had an outside terrace area, which lead to the loch. The view is absolutely magnificent and would be the main reason I would recommend the hotel for. There's a little path outside the hotel and you can take a walk along the loch, we did this and spent a good hour sitting on a bench admiring the views - we were lucky with the weather!
The room itself was a bit dated and "corporate", the decor could certainly be improved. The bathroom had a distinct 90s feel to it too but the shower was extremely powerful, which just about made up for anything else.
The lounge area etc again is a bit "corporate" but again the views make up for it. We had breakfast in the conservatory area of the restaurant, which was fab. Breakfast itself was also ok (buffet style).
The staff was very friendly and service was courteous and efficient with a smile, both at reception and in the restaurant.
Would we go back? Yes, probably, but only if we could get the discounted rate again!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The corporate feel
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Glasgow,Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I booked an overnight stay for my boyfriend's birthday and as I am really fussy about hotels when I read some of the reviews on here I was apprehensive.
The drive up to the hotel from Glasgow is lovely,the scenery is breathtaking.
On arrival at the hotel we were impressed with it's setting.
Check in was straight forward and we were given the key to our room,which was on the first floor.
I thought there was a really strong smell on the first floor and in our room,not really sure what it was.Not pleasant though.
The room was clean enough and was good size.
The bathroom was a bit dated and was not as clean as I would expect for a 4star hotel.
There was a cluster of hair left on the wall beside the bath and the ceiling above the bath showed what looked like damp or mildew.
No complementary toiletries,just a wall mounted bottle of hand soap and shampoo.
The bar and restaurant were pretty basic,nothing special,apart from the views from the windows,which if I'm honest more than made up for the negatives.
We had dinner,which was nice enough. The menu selection wasn't great but what we ordered was nice.The cost is £17 for 2 course and £20 for 3 course.
The breakfast was good. Buffet style,with cereals,fruit,pastries and cooked breakfast.
The staff were all pleasant enough and were kept busy,one guy was trying to cover the bar and wait on tables in the restaurant too. He forgot to bring our drinks ordered before our meal,had to remind him when he was collecting our plates after our starter.
We didn't use the leisure facilities but they looked pretty good.
The views from our room were stunning and for that reason I would recommend the hotel.
Overall we had a lovely,peaceful and tranquil stay but I got our room and breakfast at a discounted rate as it was Sunday into Monday. I would have been less content if I had paid the full price.
Hope this review helps.
Just keep in mind though,I am a fussy so and so.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — The decor needs updated
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!