“Birthday trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ballachulish Hotel

You added Ballachulish Hotel to your Saves list
Ballachulish Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballachulish | just off the main A82 Glasgow to Fort William Road, Ballachulish PH49 4JY, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballachulish
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Birthday trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I have just returned from a three day break in the Ballachulish Hotel to celebrate my birthday and found it very relaxing.Staff were wonderful from check in to check out,very friendly and attentive.Have stayed here several times in the past and always enjoyed it.Only negative I have is the limited menu in the restaurant,as we are not fish eaters we found a lack of choice and on the second evening they had run out of venison and the vegetarian dish.I was offered a steak at no charge but was saving the steak for my birthday night so politely turned down that offer.The girl looking after us did offer me a chicken stroganoff that was on offer to a mountain climbing team that were eating in the feasting hall,pleasant enough but not really what I would have chosen if on menu.I would find it difficult to eat there every night if I was staying for a week.Would stay again but think I would travel out of hotel for food.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed for the first time at the Ballachulish Hotel from Sun 26 Jan 2014 - Sat 01 Feb 2014.
Staff couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful from the moment I arrived - carrying my heavy suitcase to my room without a prompt. The bedroom was huge, comfortable, well heated and quiet. Meals were a joy and service excellent. In general the hotel was extremely comfortable with beautiful views. I enjoyed many a gin and tonic in the main bar in front of the roaring fire and looking out at the snow capped mountains enjoying the craic with the friendly bar man.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed at the Ballachulish Hotel for a week whilst on a mountaineering course; I have never been to Scotland or this hotel before and read a couple of negative reviews prior to my arrival.
Now lets get this straight, any negative comments in my opinion were moaning minis! … this hotel is full of character, tradition, simply amazing, the staff could not of been friendlier, they were cheery polite and attentive. Wow the food was hearty! Every meal delicious, definitely a kitchen with a purpose, they provided a wide range of meals with local fresh products. ... from the breaded brie and other gorgeous starters to the salmon dishes or mouth watering tender steak and ale pie, I haven’t had rhubarb crumble since I was a kid, yum it was devine!.
The room was spacious warm very clean and extremely comfortable.
If and when I return to Scotland I will definitely go back to the Ballachulish Hotel.
5 out of 5 !!

Room Tip: Fitness centre and Pool & Sauna were available at the sister hotel Isle of Glencoe approximately...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My partner and I visited here for the weekend and absolutely loved it. Very traditional hotel on the loch with amazing views.
Staff were lovely and frienly and more than happy to help with any questions.
Hotel bar, restaurant and rooms were cleaned and decorated to a high standard although the corridors and stairs had been stripped of wallpaper so looked a bit messy but that cant be helped. Im sure it will look amazing when finished.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and had a few drinks in the bar before hand in front of a roaring log fire.
The food was delicious, I had mussels to start and then chicken with haggis and whisky sauce and my partner had haggis starter then fish and chips for main. We shared a cranachan for dessert. Was all lovely and service was fantastic.
Overall we had a really great trip and will definitely return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed here on a winter friday night. Great room with superb view, lovely big bed and great bathroon althought couldn't get spa spa to work but not a major issue. Hotel is traditional, historic and comfortable. Thankfully not a corporate square box. Staff were excellent from arrival to departure. Room cold but extra heater provided without any fuss. Only isue about room was King size bed with only a double duvel! However extra duvet provided with out ant fuss but maybe something to consider. Only thing we felt let things down was the quality of food. Continental breakfast littlr more than cereals and dinner menu lacked fresh and local. Frozen chips, bought in pate and heavy chocholate fudge cake. However next table raving about homemade Cranachan! need to up game on food as breakfast quality was poor. However we would be back. Great view from room 106 but what about secondary glazing?

Room Tip: loch view. 106 was great but needs windows seen to.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here for one night in September. Nice warm well furnished room. Was also lovely to have a restaurant with hearty grub, wonderful views and a cosy pub on site. Good to chat to the owners although I understand they were in the process of leaving and handing over to new management.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed for a weekend to do a bit of walking , we had a lovely loch view room . the leisure facilities are a bit small but after a day in the hills just right to ease sore legs. The food was good and staff were very helpful and friendly , felt a bit like a family hotel. Helpful at reception and the lady maitre d was great - she stood out and made us feel very welcome. good breakfast .

Room Tip: I think all rooms are loch view - but check the view is quite incredible
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!