“Beautiful Location but something is missing....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ballachulish Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ballachulish Hotel to your Saves list
Ballachulish Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballachulish | just off the main A82 Glasgow to Fort William Road, Ballachulish PH49 4JY, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Ballachulish
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Location but something is missing....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We arrived in the evening when it was dark, the hotel looked beautiful lit up beside the Loch. We were greeted at reception by a lovely cheery young man who gave a fantastic first impression and made us feel very welcome. We got to our room which was spacious and clean, the en suite bathroom was particularly attractive with little twinkly stars on the ceiling. We had no view from either window except fire escapes and other walls and windows, but we hadn't specified that we wanted a room with a view so we were not really bothered about this.The bed seemed comfy and was very cosy but during the night my husband and i kept waking up as the bed was actually 2 large singles put together and we kept ending up in a little space down the middle. I found the room itself to be cold at times as the heating only came on at certain times as controlled by the hotel. The next morning we went down for breakfast, the view from the restaurant was spectacular, the food was good, offering both hot and cold buffet style breakfast so good value for money and was really quite tasty. The serving staff in the morning though left a lot to be desired. They looked very grumpy which made the way they spoke seem abrupt. The soundtrack on both mornings of our stay was Boyzone's greatest hits....and although not the worst i'd heard i thought that they'd maybe have a better selection of music, maybe something relaxing from Scotland? I was recovering from an operation during my visit so i went for a nap shortly after breakfast. We ha d no "Do Not Disturb" sign in our room (my husband searched high and low) so he said he'd just ask the cleaning staff to leave our room for the time being for me. When the cleaning staff arrived at our door the knocked and my husband asked them politely to come back later. Their reply shocked me "Well you don't have the right sign on the door if you don't want to be disturbed then!" she shouted through the door at us. When my husband told them we didn't have one....we got no apology or anything she just walked away. I found this extremely rude and unprofessional. The reception staff during he day also looked very grumpy and unapproachable. The lounge was comfortable and warm and again with wonderful views of the surrounding hills and loch. Overall i feel that the day staff really let the hotel down. It is a beautiful old hotel in a wonderful location with spectacular views and the evening staff were charming and friendly. The morning serving staff, cleaners and day reception staff do not seem to enjoy their jobs at all making them grumpy and abrupt. Another point worth mentioning is that this hotel also allows dogs to stay, although this is good (we do have our own dog) we were woken up before 7am on our second morning by a dog barking and crying in a neighbouring room.Although this may seem like a negative review the i would go back again, the location is excellent and the food is good. I just hope they have more cheerful, welcoming staff next time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin M, General Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review following your stay with us. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and would return to stay with us.
As a team we discuss all feedback and I have gone over all points at our regular morning meetings. It was disappointing to read that you felt some of my staff were unhappy at their work and this we will address with departmental training. Hopefully on your next visit you will experience a more positive overall customer care feeling.

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
sutherland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel before and liked it enough to go back. We had a three night stay this time . We like the character of the hotel and enjoy relaxing in the old library. We had a lovely clean room with a loch view and a nice big bathroom. The food was fine but as we were on a deal was a limited menu. We would have preferred having a larger menu which we would happily have paid more for. The staff are very attentive . For what you get overall it's a very good deal and we will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin M, General Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review following your 3 night break. Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your comments on our menus which we are constantly reviewing.
Irvine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

A fantastic location for exploring Glen Cove area, if you have high expectations then lower them now and you won't be disappointed. We had a groupon deal for 2 night bed and breakfast with evening meal first night.if I was paying full price I would have been less pleased. We were in the west wing and had a beautiful loch view through the dirty window. The room was basic and the whole hotel needs some TLC. If you read this hotelier then please please fix the very creaky floor boards throughout the west wing on both floors, its unbelievable. Very disappointed in the evening meal really not what I expect from a hotel like this. Still there are loads of places relatively nearby in Fort William you can eat out in. Given the standard of food in the restaurant I wouldn't rush back. Breakfast was good, basic fry up and continental buffet plenty of it, no problem here. Staff are young friendly and helpful. The hotel has a newly refurbished bar and a couple of sitting areas, our favourite was the old library with a lovely fire. A big plus for geeks is the free WiFi throughout the hotel. Good forward thinking who ever decided this. The hotel has a great deal of potential, like I said you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2013
Thanks for your constructive feedback following your stay with us. We will be reviewing our menus as the season progresses and have discussed your commets with my F & B team. Our maintenance team have an ongoing programme througout the hotel which includes bedrooms and public areas. Glad you enjoyed the free Wi-fi - our guests do appreciate that and surprised that it is free. Hope you will return again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had previously had a drink at this hotel and loved the setting and the look of the place, so when we were visiting the area again we decided to book a room there for a Thursday night in January. The rate was very good (£59 for B&B). Check in was quick and efficient and the lady who checked us in was very polite. The room we were allocated was really not good; the position of it should have meant that there was a lovely view over the loch but the windows were on the side overlooking the extension and not front aspect over the loch, the bath had not been cleaned properly and was covered in hairs, there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and blowing about in the icy draft from modern looking but ill fitting windows. I suspect this was due to having only paid £59 but I think hotels are foolish not to give guests the best room possible when so many review sites for feedback exist. Anyway, went back down to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available and the young lady on reception could not have been more helpful. Without hesitation she found us another room which was also an upgrade. This room was amazing – 3 large windows with views of the loch and the bridge, a spa bath (after trying it for the first time I am not convinced by this but a nice added luxury!) and a huge room. My only slight negative about the room is that it was pretty cold in January with a large, high ceilinged room and only one radiator. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was nice but nothing extraordinary. This is a good hotel in a lovely setting but there seems to be a large variance in the standard of the rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I apologise for various housekeeping issues you experienced and we have discussed these with the relevant members of my team. I am glad that we were able to provide an alternative room for you. We have an ongoing maintenance programme througout the hotel and this will benefit all our guests. I do hope that you will return soon to stay with us again here in the Highlands.
Lanark, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and had dinner on one of the nights. Unfortunately the food left a lot to be desired - my husband found a piece of plastic wrapping in his fish and chips and was told by the manager that it would have came from either the frozen fish or the frozen chips. The fish was overcooked and dry and the kitchen didnt even have any tartare sauce! Breakfast was a help yourself cooked buffet but unfortunately the fried eggs had all been used up and the dish was never replenished. The scrambled egg was rubbery and we couldnt eat the sausages on the second morning due to the strange taste from them. The hotel boasts on its website to having one of the best restaurants in the region but based on our experience with the food I'm afraid we would disagree. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel but the decor was stuck in the 70's with a torn duvet cover, brick hard old pillows and an old wooden painted sink top in the bathroom with black mould round the rear of the sink. The furnishings in the main lounge were threadbare and worn and the decor was very dark and dingy. On a positive point we could not however fault the staff, they were all extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting your review following your stay with us in Jan past. As a team we have discussed your comments with regards to the quality of the Food served both at Breakfast and at Dinner time. We will aways strive to improve our quality of food offered to our guests. Our bedrooms and Public areas have an ongoing refurbishment programme and as you can apprecate this does take time . I was really happy to note that you found my staff attentive and friendly and this will also be passed on to them.

Travelers are raving about these Ballachulish hotels

Goole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Was a little worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews posted. However I shouldn't have been. Me and my wife stayed here 2 nights last week and it was really lovely. We booked through Groupon and got 2 nights B&B plus dinner on the first night, I had the Breaded Haddock which was OK and the wife had the Roast Pork which she enjoyed. Drinks were reasonable a pint and a coke cost £5 which I think is good. We stayed in the old part of the Hotel and the room was beautifully furnished, yes it was a little tired in parts and good do with a bit of redecorating but it wasn't enough to spoil the stay. Staff were lovely and very helpful. I'd certainly stay here again hopefully in the old part of the Hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old part of the Hotel, they are lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always pleasing to read our positive guests comments following their stay. Your kind commens have been passed on to all members of my team. We hope that you will return soon.
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night on a Groupon deal that included dinner on the Saturday night.
The hotel location is superb - at the seaward end of Glen Coe and about 10 miles south of Fort William and 30 miles north of Oban. The water's edge, about fifty meters aways, can be accessed via a footpath across the road from the hotel. The views from here and from the front of the hotel of the snow covered hills was beautiful.
We arrived fairly late on Friday night and the check in staff were friendly and efficient. We were given the room above the main entrance. This was quite spacious with nice views but, because it had three walls on the outside of the building and a flat roof, very cold at night. The bathroom, which was inside the main body of the building, was noticeably warmer. After the first night we asked for a heater and and extra duvet which the staff provided with no bother. The bathroom was clean with a good shower over the bath. Interestingly, the water is from a local source.
Breakfast was OK - the usual fare but still plenty of it. The coffee was good.
In the evening we went down to the bar for a couple of drinks before dinner and opened a bottle of white wine. We had a special dinner menu because we were on a deal and both opted for the fish and chips main course, which was pretty good. Other guests had access to the full a la carte menu and I can't help but feel that the hotel missed a trick here by not offering the opportunity to pay for an upgrade to the meal we had. Nevertheless, it was still a good meal.
After dinner we sat next to the open fire (there are several of these through the hotel) and made the most of the free wifi, although this becomes a bit unreliable duirng peak periods.
All in all, this made for a pleasant getaway in early December.

Room Tip: If it is cold avoid the room over the main entrance.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanking for your comments following your recent stay with us. Its always nice to read that our guests enjoy our location beside the Loch with great views of the hills. I do note that you felt cold but happy to see that we were able to provide an additional heater as requested. It is good that you made use of our Residents Lounge, Library and Bar areas and enjoyed the roaring fires. Hope you will return again in the near future.

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!