“Good Choice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Rectory

and 1 more site!
You added The Old Rectory to your Saves list
The Old Rectory
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Cantax Hill Lacock, Lacock SN15 2JZ, England   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Lacock B&B and Inns
Isle of Man
“Good Choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have always wanted to visit Lacock and we were glad to find the Old Rectory!
What a great central location, fabulous hosts and a wonderful breakfast, after reading some of the reviews on this site I really do wonder if the reviewers stayed in the same place?
We will be back!

Room Tip: The Deans Room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wallington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at The Old Rectory was a strange experience, but the location of the B&B definitely made up for it. We were away on a business trip for two nights - I would have been a little disappointed if I had been away on holiday. Coming from the borders of London/Surrey, it did seem like very good value.

The Breakfast time slot was late, at 8.30am, but luckily our meeting was nearby so we had enough time to enjoy the food. I had an English breakfast with an egg laid by hens in the garden, which was very tasty and made with quality ingredients. There was also a fridge with fresh milk located outside our rooms which was a really nice touch, so we could have tea with real milk in the evening.

My bedroom was very cold and I slept with two T-shirts and a fleece. The bathroom was dusty and the towels didn't look quite as clean as I would have expected. The bedroom looked a little outdated but inviting, however and the sheets and pillows didn't smell very fresh.

We also enjoyed a delicious evening meal in one of the local pubs and were lucky enough to be there on a night when the National Trust's Lacock Abbey was lit up by night.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I make a lot of business trips to the west country and this is one of the best places for the money in the bath area,
very friendly owners - outstanding grounds with history all around it including the filming of part of harry potter at the local 2 mins walk, lovely cottages available if you don't want to stay in the old rectory itself but you need to check with the owners as these are really sought after especially from spring to autumn.
Very open to all ( if your a walker passing through ) or as I say on business or even for a getaway from the city, elaine and paul will do what they can to accommodate any time of year.
Free access to broadband helps with the facetime or Skype and the horses always say hello too.
plenty of chickens for your eggs in the morning and lots of local produce to keep you going.
BBQ`s are provided with the cottages but im sure it would not be a problem to borrow one if your in the old house itself.
BEST thing to do is ask your questions of what you expect before you book !
Personally I like the old country homes with thick walls and lead glass windows and the rusticness of it all.

Room Tip: Cottages are better for larger groups / families
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Nr Bedford, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as it was convenient for a business trip after seeing it on the farmstay website.

When I arrived I'm Lacock I found it difficult to find it as signs for weren't lit up very well.

I managed to park at the side of the B&B and was greeted by Elaine, I noticed a very strong smell of dogs in the hall.

I was shown my room (The Bishops Room) which had cobwebs over the four poster, it had an ensuite (but no bath) and a note to say the hot water took a little longer to get to that bathroom as it was the furthest room away from the boiler.

The room itself felt cold (probably because of the single windows) and the wifi unusable because it was so far away from the router (I had checked with Elaine's husband about wifi access before I arrived as I had to write and send visit reports so this was disappointing).

The four poster wasn't very comfortable for me as I'm tall (6'3) and it had a wooden board at the end of the bed which didn't help further and the mattress was lumpy.

The breakfast was only served on a narrow window of 8.30 to 9am so it wasn't ideal for a business trip as I wanted to be at my customer nearby for 9am. The breakfast was good though.

I went to the local George Inn to eat (as was told there was a 10% discount via The Old Rectory) but when I was at the bar the chef came out and told the staff that they had a big party of 40 people expected in the next half an hour and to say there might be a delay to other guests) so I went the the Red Lion (which is their sister pub) I had a lovely meal there and the service was great.

Overall I was a bit disappointed with The Old Rectory, it does need some minor updates to the rooms and for the ability to be able to serve breakfast a bit earlier (maybe Elaine needs to take the previous comments onboard here?) and also for the wifi to be updated with a wifi extender of some sort.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Beautiful old house; the room was clean and comfortable with character, overlooking the garden. The breakfast was great. The ancient village of Lacock was a short walk away with a few pubs to choose from. Parking on the property. An excellent base for exploration of a wide range of historical sites in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We arrived when it was dark and there was no light outside the Old Rectory, so it was quite difficult to find the entrance to the building. We approached the first door that we could see. The welcome from the owner was to be told that we had used the wrong door.

The owner then told us that breakfast is only served after 8:30, which is inconvenient / impossible for a business trip. The ability to make one's own toast before 8:30 is not quite the same thing as having the full English breakfast that you might hope for in a B&B.

The four poster bed had an extremely uncomfortable soft and lumpy mattress. In an expensive B&B you would not expect to have a washbasin in the bedroom or a second bed in the room.

After 8:00 a.m. the following morning we left a cheque on the table before going, as requested by a note left in our room while we were out. Overall, with entrance via a keypad and no person to say goodbye, the experience of staying at the Old Rectory ended up feeling as personal as a leaving a chain hotel where there is no receptionist.

There are several other B&B's in the area where the overnight rate is substantially cheaper, the hospitality much warmer, the rooms more comfortable and better appointed and you can get breakfast before the working day starts. We recommend that you use one of them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at The Old Rectory for 3 nights at the end of October 2013. the Dean's room was beautiful - clean, welcoming and a very comfortable 4 poster - certainly not too small as another reviewer suggested!

The breakfasts were delicious and the grounds stunning. The village of Lacock is beautiful too.

We will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: the 4 posters are very comfortable!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!