“Superb Food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Cuckfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Ockenden Manor offers a superb fine dining experience in our beautiful dining room overlooking the gardens with stunning views of the South Downs National Park. Head Chef, Stephen Crane,serves some of the finest food in southern England incorporating the freshest ingredients, sourced locally in Sussex whenever possible. Guests have a choice of fixed price menus including Stephen's selected Sussex Menu or the gastronomic seven course Tasting Menu
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Superb Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Its not cheap by any means - but this is an excellent place to go for a 'special' meal where you want to enjoy a fine dining experience. Superb quality of food, all perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Staff were very attentive. My only criticism, and its a personal preference, the restaurant is very quiet and there should be some soft background music playing to muffle the sound of other guests talking/eating.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

U.K
“I take it all back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant a while ago and have since been back a couple of times. I am now going to eat humble pie as the atmosphere has changed and I've got to say if you want fine dining then it's the best place around for miles, simply scrumptious!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Excellent Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Excellent food in a relaxed, traditional country house atmosphere. The service was very attentive without being fussy. Prices are a bit high but its well worth it for a quality dining experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch the old fashioned way...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Went here on a Gift Voucher, absolutely fabulous lunch, wonderful service and thoroughly enjoyable experience. You certainly get what you pay for.We will be back.....

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Fussy, overpriced nonense”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a restaurant review (evening service) and we did not stay at the hotel ,
There is nothing wrong with the food here, its just that the portions are so small that its ridiculous!
Nouvelle cuisine re-invented , but smaller!
This restaurant tries so hard to be a fine dining experience that it has forgotten to feed its diners.
I ate there with friends, one of the most enjoyable things in this world is to catch up with friends over a nice meal, we were looking forward to a good evening, firstly the place looks great, country house in one of Sussex's prettiest villages, but the problems started before the food arrived.
We were shown to a round table in the conservatory, but it became clear that the style of service was intrusive and the table was far too small, we had several glasses each, plus 2 slates of butter, small vase and of course side plates and the usual cutlery, so a busy table to start with, but then when the 2 baskets of bread, 2 more slates of small dips and sticks arrived we were having to re arrange everything to fit, in fact there was not even enough space on the table for my wives glasses!
The bread baskets stayed on our table far too long, a sure sign that when the real deal arrives its going to be small, the term 'fill them with bread' comes to mind, we finally ordered water and one bottle of wine and then the starters and main courses, the starters arrived and were OK, nothing special but not bad, in deed my starter of salmon turned out to be larger than my main course! I have to say that the service was really bad, there is nothing wrong with the staff, they are very pleasant, but they have been trained in a style that I personally hate, it is over attentive, there seems to be someone at the table all the time, and when you are trying to have a conversation with friends, i find it rude to be interrupted again and again and again by staff topping up an already full water glass, wine glass, making enquiries about our enjoyment or just loitering by our table! in fact we had to stop wine being poured for our nominated driver 4 times!!!!
The main courses arrived and we all looked at each other, I had ordered the ox, advertised as ox cheek and ox tail, then it arrived I thought there was an oxo cube on my vegetables , I kid you not the ox cheek was a cube only slightly larger than an oxo cube, 1 and a half mouthfuls, I looked around the plate for the oxtail and there was a very small pie, the size of a table spoon, I broke the pastry open to find apx, a tea spoon full of mashed meat which was the oxtail, so disappointed, i could go on about the amount of supplements on the £50+ fixed menu, or how thin cheese can be cut (slither rather than slice), but i am am getting upset just thinking about our experience, we left £300+ later (one bottle of wine only) and still hungry.
Perhaps if you love the attention and this is your idea of fine dining it might suit you, but if you are hungry, give it a miss.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere