“Beautiful food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Cuckfield
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ockenden Manor offers a superb fine dining experience in our beautiful dining room overlooking the gardens with stunning views of the South Downs National Park. Head Chef, Stephen Crane,serves some of the finest food in southern England incorporating the freshest ingredients, sourced locally in Sussex whenever possible. Guests have a choice of fixed price menus including Stephen's selected Sussex Menu or the gastronomic seven course Tasting Menu
“Beautiful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

This is my favourite restaurant.

I have dined here many times. The food is beautiful and the wine is lovely.

Great and a fabulous selection of game.

Only improvement comment is that the menu could do with some new items, if you go regularly you see the same things - although those same things are all beautiful!

I could not fault Ockenden at all. Well done!

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

horley
“Modern twist on mediaeval manor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

The comments made by an earlier reviewer are completely without foundadtion. I suspect they either have a competative restaurant in the area or indeed occupy a local nursing home themselves.
We have been regular diners at the manor for many years and have watched them grow and undertake the many improvements to their dining facility. Which includes excellent light and spacoius room with adjacent modern spotless toilets. The world must move on. The average client does not go here for a cheap voucher lunch as the previous commentators clearly did. I suggest they stick to the Voucher Codes website for their dining experiences or stay in Brighton for an overpriced snack. The staff at OM are knowledgable, loyal and very skilled in service and formality. Keep up the good work, your regulars love it and the Michelin star food too.

Visited December 2010
Mid Sussex
“Expected much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Booked restaurant to celebrate family birthday. What a let down.
Nobody at reception to meet and greet, menu contents not explained, over an hour to get the starters, no service to speak of and nobody appeared in control, wine not poured when required, no knowledge of who had ordered what, went for a smoke and also enjoyed this with 2 of the waiting staff at the front of the building, ordered a bottle of Fleurie which was warm and then before drinking the red glasses were removed from the table. Food was OK but no wow factor and felt hungry at the end of the experience. I would rate this restaurant 5 out of 10 to be generous even though money was taken off the bill when our feeling were made known, but really it wasn't about the money it was about enjoying the evening with close friends which was certainly not the case.
Now I know some people will think some of the comments above are a bit petty but at a Michelin star restaurant you should expect the highest standards and this was severly lacking.

• Visited January 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
uk
“Soooooooo .... worthy of it's Michelin Star !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

This was my first visit to Ockenden Manor and certainly will not be my last. I even booked a return visit for diner before I left.
Yes, I was that impressed!
This was the last Michelin restaurant on my list in my immediate area. After dining at The West House and Apicious ... I had high expectations ... but slighty apprehensive after such a uneventful night at the Sportsman a few days earlier .... such is life!
I never got around to reviewing these 2 restaurants(and more!) but will do at some later point.
Anyway back to OM .... For lunch !
Once we were seated (with lovely views of the garden) we were handed 3 menus and a wine list. One menu is a taster priced at £75.00. Another one is a luncheon priced at £16.50 for 2 courses. Lastly was the main diner menu priced at £53.00 for 3 courses,
I chose all my courses from the main menu whilst my companion chose a starter from the luncheon menu .... main from the main menu .... dessert from the dessert menu. Just to be confusing .... lol .... the staff were fine with the mixing up of menus.
Once we had ordered we were bought some fresh warm bread to the table .... wholemeal, white and walnut (maybe?) .... fresh, warm and very unctious. Olives and butter were already on the table when we arrived.
As we waited on our starter's arriving we were bought an appetizer of pumpkin soup ... now this might sound very boring but it had the most intense flavour and velvety taste that I have experienced in a long time ..... spiced up with curry spices and dressed with olive oil .... absolutely divine. A seriously high end soup. I cannot praise it enough!
Next came the starters, my companion had the goats cheese croquettes accompanied if I remember correctly with a salad of leaves, carrot, beetroot and tapenade ... apologies if this is incorrect ..... beautiful presentation and beautiful taste. My starter was an absolute star .... fois gras with grapes, apples, (friitered?) potato, pancetta and the most sublime sauce ever eaten .... it was so intense and just so yummylicious .... the fois gras was heaven on a plate .... more more more ..... please !
Next came the mains, my companion went for the smoked haddock, savoy cabbage and poached egg ..... whilst everything was devoured on the plate .... the only issue we had was the fact that the poached egg was over done and thus not runny when opened .... as much as this is an integral part of the meal .... it didn't hinder the experience .... but please be aware next time not to over cook the egg ..... just a tiny complaint really. My main was cod with mussels, tomato, gnocci and bouillabaisse ..... again this was cooked to perfection .... the sauce was full to bursting point of flavours and soon gobbled up ... the tomatoes were just so intense .... I don't normally get such a taste out of tomatoes .... but these ones were little nibbles of pure magic ..... beautiful .... so beautiful.
Lastly came the desserts, my companion had the cox apple millefuille with quince sorbet and vanilla cream ..... stunning, tasty and gorgeously presented. I had the salted peanut creme brulee, banana sorbet and milk chocolate caramel .... presented in 3 little pots on a rectangular plate ..... each individual dessert had been made to perfection and tasted utterly divine .... I cannot wait to go back and devour them again.
After this gastronomic feast we were offered coffee in the lounge if we choose to and I noticed on the menu that they do petit fours with coffee .... now i am not in the coffee gang but come hell or high water I will be tasting those petit fours when I return for diner.
The service was friendly and professional. Waiting times between courses was perfect and the interaction was conducted with ease and courtesy. Well done guys you are doing a great job.
All in all I had a wonderful experience at OM and would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone. If you want awesome food that is full of flavour, taste and love then head on over to OM because you will not be disappointed.
Total price for the meal inc a bottle of water £73.50

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The best hotel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010 via mobile

We had our wedding in this hotel and it was just perfect.

From the location to the food and staff it was wonderful. I could find not a single negative thing about this hotel.

The food was excellent even when a large number had to be catered for

The staff were excellent especially William who was absolutely the best. He had every thing organised so well and the day went so smoothly. Would just love to experience it all again. I certainly can't wait to go back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere