“wonderful spot” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“wonderful spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We've been there last w-end for a baby-moon and can only comment positively about Ockenden manor & spa. The staff is friendly and helpful without being over the top; the room (Luke) was lovely and facing the gardens; dinner was again very good and although the dining room was full we didn't feel that it was noisy or that the waiters were stressed or less attentive. We also spent the day at the spa - bliss! The facilities are good, clean and the staff is again very nice (we both had treatements and felt v. spoilt!). the final bill was fine (one night, dinner without wine, lunch, breakfast, access to spa facilities for 2 days, 2 treatements went for ca 350£). So absolutely an excellent place to go to relax and recharge the batteries!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We decided to book the Ockendon Manor Hotel and Spa after a recommendation from a family member. The staff could not have been nicer. We stayed in the Elizabeth room. It is an older room that is quite spacious but could use more lighting. The sofa had a lovely upholstery with down cushions. The bed was quite comfortable, but I would have preferred a duvet rather than the blanket. Tea and delicious homemade biscuits are on offer. The only thing that needs to be re-thought is the tea kettle that has to be set on the floor to reach the plug. The bathroom is also very spacious. I would change out the pebbled vinyl flooring, update the paint to a more cheery color, repair the broken roman shade, and replace the toilet seat.
Ok, now to the really good stuff! The restaurant is outstanding! We ate there all 3 nights, and the service and food did not slip once! Each night we were treated to canapes sent out by the chef, and every course was perfectly prepared. The 3rd day we had a bottle of champagne in our room, and they brought it down for us to enjoy with dinner. Sadly, we had to depart early on our last day. We only hoped to grab a coffee and a roll to take, but they quickly set out a whole spread for us! The warm pan au chocolate was heavenly!!
We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Next time I will book a spa room since they are newer.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a room called "Alexander" - really traditional, clean and gorgeous - we were over the moon when we walked in. Unfortunately that excitement stopped the moment we fell into bed ready for sleep. We soon realised that there was an air conditioning unit right outside our window - even with the window closed it was so noisy and prevented me from getting to sleep until I was so shattered by about 3am I drifted off. Couple this was what we assumed were staff having a very animated and loud conversation and then whizzing off revving on motorbikes and it made for one of the most unsettling night's sleep I've had since my son was a newborn. This was such a shame - as parents of a small child we were really excited about a good night's sleep. I considered requesting a room transfer but in the small hours of the morning just wouldn't have been able to face getting dressed, packing and lugging our stuff across the hotel.
We ate in the Michelin starred restaurant. We are very lucky to have eaten in several Michelin starred restaurants and although not all food can be to everyone's tastes, there are certain levels of service and of course taste/presentation that can be assumed when eating in a starred restaurant. Some of the dishes we had were good - none of them excited us and my main was so dry and tasteless I had to send it back (again, a real rarity for me!) - the Maitre D' gave me a cheese course as an apology which went down well as a cheese fanatic. But there the good service ends - we were left waiting ages between courses, were left with empty glasses, the staff all seemed young and friendly but confused about what they were supposed to be doing - when we asked questions about the menu we were told by two different waiters that they couldn't help us as they weren't allowed to try the food?! Staff should be trained to know what is in dishes etc. in any restaurant! At best this was an average/good hotel meal but Michelin standard? No way.
The best part of our stay was the spa - very luxurious feeling and really relaxing - the indoor-outdoor pool connection is a great idea and it was lovely swimming outside in the cold.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OckendenManor, Manager at Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
I are sorry that you did not have a good night’s sleep in the Alexander Room although there is no air conditioning unit outside and I am confused about motorbikes as we only have one member of staff with a motorbike whom finishes at 4pm. I would assume that the very animated and loud conversation was from another room as there would have only been a night porter on duty in the small hours of the morning. As you rightly say not every dish will be to everyone’s taste, although I am disappointed that you say the staff couldn't help you, as they do all get to taste the food and have a description of each dish so they can answer questions. I am delighted that you found the spa relaxing and lots of our guests do enjoy swimming in the outdoor pool.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This Hotel is a charming country house set close to the east part of the South Downs (but not suitable for the Downs west of Chichester). The Hotel, probably as it is close to a village and town, appears to be mored geared towards day visitors to the restaurant and spa. The spa is well designed and facilities are excellent, and the restaurant food is superb although the menu is slightly narrow in choice with some repetition. There are signs of lack of management focus and resources directed to other parts of the hotel used by guests although the junior staff are very helpful. For example the mid-week front of house meet and greet was inexperienced (no detailed briefing on hotel facilities and no assistance with bags). The refurbishment programme also needs to be looked at: our rooms, while well appointed and with a lovely view, had a long term floor carpet mark, a handle missing to a cabinet and an ill fitting toilet seat in the bathroom. More imagination could also shown in the breakfast room offering. Breakfast is served in the same modern conservatory used for lunch and dinner: a glorious wood panelled room (the Burrell Room) which used to be used for dinner is now only used for special functions, ie the day guest focus. This is a reasonably good hotel providing you use the restaurant and Spa,

Brighton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was quite a reasonable price compared to other posh hotels around and I could get a decent deal on dinner, breakfast, suites, spa and money towards spa treatments.

The spa suite was fantastic and the only room I've stayed it that it compares to is the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas. The bathroom is amazing with massive bath, lovely shower and lovely attention to detail. The bed was huge and had a nice comfy topper on it and duvet (hate sheets/blankets). Nice modern furniture and design and the direct access to the roof top garden was amazing. In January we couldn't really use it but it would be great in summer.

The spa itself is very nice but they've obviously had a few teething problems that need sorting out - alot of the plaster is off around the pool and patched up and the sauna light wasn't working. Also the steam room smelled a bit and also had chunks of plaster missing. It doesn't affect the usability of the spa and I'm just picking holes really. It also doesn't really have enough seating for lazing around on. The tea/coffee/water section is very well stocked. The pool is a little cool but thats because its for proper swimming rather than lazing around in. Both hot tubs are nice and the changing rooms have everything you could possibly want.

The best part of our stay was the food. 3 courses of amazing yummyness and one of the best meals I've ever had. All 3 of my courses were out of this world as were the petit fours and amuse bouche. Staff all very friendly and attentive with special mention to the lovely lady who did my nails. There isn't a restaurant in the spa so you either have to have food bought over or get changed and walk to main restaurant.

I didn't stay in the main hotel because I don't really like old style rooms and I get the feeling it needs a bit of updating. The main lounge is a bit tatty and musty smelling. It doesn't really match up with the spa part or the dining room.

So plus points were the staff, food and room

Down points were the distance of spa from main hotel (3 min walk), price of spa treatments and issues with appearance of spa.

I've still given it a 5 because it really is lovely. If I wanted to go to a spectacular spa I'd go to Pennyhill Park because thats amazing but for food and room and overall stay I'd go here.

Room Tip: Spa suites are modern, spacious, comfy and very well equipped
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a brilliant stay in November. We had a lovely dinner the night we arrived and made full use of the spa the next morning. The food was delicious and different - my partner had oyster to start, it was cooked in three different ways. The place had plenty of cars in the carpark but you wouldnt be able to tell there were lots of guests staying as it was so quite and tranquill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

A completely blissful day from start to finish. The surroundings were stunning, the spa sumptuous and the staff polite, helpful, kind,..everything you would want and hope for especially after the hectic Christmas period.
If you can go you must

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!