“Charming!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Charming!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Popped in for coffee and a scone. Was a lovely and traditional tea room. The scone was beautiful but I have to fault one thing. The cream served with the scone was whipped cream instead of clotted cream which was a let down. All in all though well recommended very good value for money

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Shrewsbury
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Loved it here. Charming rooms and people, food all home made and we stayed over an hour to make room for scones with homemade lemon curd. Went away very happy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anglesey
“There are not many like this left”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have been calling at this tea room for many years now during both the tenure of the present proprietor and the previous proprietor.
There is no doubt that the standard of the food continues to be very good indeed - most if not all of it is prepared on the premises and it makes a welcome change from all the processed rubbish that you encounter all too often these days.
Usually this would mean that I would give the establishment an 'excellent' but for two things. First, the toilets; I think that it is reasonable to expect that in an establishment that sets out to attain high standards in the food it serves that that attention to detail would be found reflected in the toilets. Sadly, visits to the toilets are not a pleasant experience and bear all the signs of not being cleaned/checked regularly. Furthermore, their state raises one or two questions about what the other 'behind the scenes' areas of this place is really like. I accept that customers are not as careful as they could be in the more public toilets, but this is a given in life.
You might then ask why have I not mentioned this to the proprietress? The answer is, as others have noted, that she is not the kind of person that encourages you to engage in conversation, let alone a well-meant critique of the toilets, and tends to be a bit lofty and condescending.
So, in conclusion, go by all means and enjoy the food as we will continue to do, but be aware that the food will be the best part of the experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fulfilling afternoon tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I recently enjoyed English afternoon tea with my boyfriend in this tearoom. The only vegetarian options for a round of sandwiches were cheese or egg. I chose cheese and my boyfriend ordered salmon. Other than sandwiches, you get a selection of three cakes and a scone with jam, margarine and cream and obviously tea for £7.50 each.

My cheese sandwiches were very boring and dry - the crust of the bread was chewy and there literally was nothing else but grated cheese with perhaps a bit of margarine. I wish there was a bit more exciting vegetarian options like at least tomato with cheese or even something like pesto and mozzarella (yes I know it's not traditional English but hey innovation is fun). My boyfriend's sandwiches looked much better - at least the salmon was served with mayo and cucumber! His sandwiches were also made in brown bread which I would have preferred myself too but didn't come to think of it when I was placing the order.

The tea was delicious and high quality. The scone was fantastic too! It is served with whipped cream instead of clotted cream which would have, once again, been my preference but it was simply delicious. My favourite single item in the selection. The three cakes were a meringue topped with cream and a strawberry, a piece of lemon drizzle cake and a slice of chocolate cake. The two chocolate cake slices were very different size which was strange. The cakes were pretty good, the lemon cake being my favourite. The chocolate cake was alright but a little bit dry. Both of us were completely full after finishing the food and the tea.

The experience could have been improved by having a better balance between sweet and savoury (the sandwiches were tiny and there were four each). I was also amazed you can't pay by card in a supposedly modern eatery. Luckily there is a cashpoint nearby.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stirling, United Kingdom
“if your only after tea and a scone, your not made welcome !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Do not go in this 'tea room', if your just wanting tea or tea and a scone !! you are not made to feel welcome.
The female, perhaps co owner, did not appear interested in our custom, as we were not buying a meal...but it is a 'Tearoom' after all !! and not the Ritz, which the female in question, seems to think she runs !! and this 'Tearoom' needs to upgrade the toilets, which we felt were in standard condition..!
Why not treat every customer the same, as every little helps !!
We would not recommend this 'Tearoom', and would not go back !

• Visited July 2012