“give it a miss” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 17 Gairloch B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“give it a miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stopped at The Old Inn for lunch on a wet November day as reviews on the food on line were good and we love seafood which is supposed to be their speciality. However, we found that customer service was non existent, It was almost an inconvenience that we asked for food. The barman didn’t talk at all to us even though there were very few people in the bar (no surprise really) he didn’t even say good afternoon when we came in, or ask how the food was. The place was dingy, lunch menu very limited, I had grilled haddock which was more the size of a sardine and full of bones, the chips were under cooked and the peas were over cooked and to be honest we have eaten much better food at supermarket cafes.
All the staff were standing outside the ladies when we left and didn’t bother to move when I tried to get to door so I ended up using loos elsewhere.
Shame as this could be a lovely pub/hotel but it needs a new manager and staff. Thank goodness we only had lunch here and not a hotel stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

West coast of scotland, November 2012, long road trip to see a sign seafood dinners etc, pulled into this quaint looking pub, walked in, to a dark, dingey place, customer service at the reception was beyond a joke, we walked through sat down in the dinner area rather than bar to look over to the plates of other diners (2) and made a beeline for the door. I do not understand why people can not be polite and curtious in these distant parts of the world and serve local produce the harbour is opposite the pub!. This is an honest review, take a picnic to the giarloch beach which we did up the road and is stunning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having read some decent reviews of this hotel, I think it is only fair I add my experience from a few years ago. I booked and paid through Expedia and drove 170 plus miles only to be told that on arrival, I had already checked in and was upstairs in the room. Totally confused? Yes so was I.
After much discussion with someone who spoke English as a second language and on the phone to a manager who was too busy to come and talk to me. I finally discovered that someone arrived looking for a room and when told the only room left was the one booked (on my credit card) by me and as their name was similar to mine, they claimed they were me and took possession of the room before I arrived.
The manager was nothing short of totally belligerent, but eventually offered me a room in an alternative hotel, that he also owned. I drove to the alternative only to find that it had plenty of rooms for a very good reason. It was stale dirty, run down and had no restaurant at all.
Now face to face with the most arrogant manager I have ever encountered, I once again put my point over that he had given away my room that I had booked and paid for and was now being offered a well below acceptable alternative. I felt that the people who fraudulently claimed my room should be offered the alternative and I should be given the room I had booked and paid for, but the most arrogant manager ever just laughed.
I declined his offer of the damp and musty room in a rundown hotel and drove to the Isle of Skye where I had planned on staying another couple of nights later on in my trip. There I managed to extend my stay, to cover the nights I should been staying in The Old Inn.
Worse was still to come, the most arrogant manager of The Old Inn was still insisting to Expedia that I was checked in at his hotel and was in fact still in the room and as such he was still charging the room to my credit card. This “fraud” only relented when I got the manager of the hotel in Skye to verify to Expedia that I was stood in his hotel with my credit card in hand 110 miles from The Old Inn.
I have travelled to over 20% of the worlds countries; I have stayed in shacks in Kenya to the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue New York. The Old Inn in Gairloch was by far my worst experience ever.

Room Tip: Only stay here if there are no stables available.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am not stuck for words very often but to review this delightful Inn in Gairlock on the West coast of Scotland leaves me a little lost for words.
The Inn as you approach by car or on foot radiates a warm welcome.
Once inside the atmosphere only gets better with a fire burning brightly in the hearth in a small lounge area complimented by the, sink into, leather sofas.

The bar is slightly 60's but the locals and the other travelers make it very friendly and fun.

For people just wanting a quiet drink the bar has some separated tables that lend themselves to romantic conversation or a quiet bar meal. A bar to suit all tastes.

Reception is very warm and welcoming, as well as very efficient.
Room's were clean comfortable,spacious and decorated to a high standard, what more do you require.
AAAh the food
bar meals, in the bar itself, or in two cosy rooms adjacent.The dinning room with its warm wood interior and superb menu is something not to miss.
The serving staff in ALL areas are very welcoming, and warm friendly, but not in a too familiar way.
If you are going to visit the West coast of Scotland you cannot do better than book the Old Inn at Gairlock.
If the INN is full the Gairlock Highland Hotel run by the same man, Alistair, is 2 minutes walk away and having stayed there as well I would also recommend it.

Well I said i was stuck for words 4 x warm 4 x welcome.
some repetition is allowed when stuck.
Will go back again as soon as i can.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Arrived after a long drive in the pouring rain we arrived to sunshire and a very friendly greeting. Our room was clean and bright with a very good large shower room. The food in the restaurant was excellent, as a veggie in a place known for it seafood I thought i might have problems but I was given a choice of vegetarian dishes every night. Even though the bar was also the local vistors were made very welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort William, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Having returned after a 2 year gap I was slightly irritated by the small things that kept occurring
over my 2 day stay. Having said that the hotel is so relaxing and in a lovely position.
Would go back without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had booked the Gairloch Highland Hotel but due to circumstances beyond their control we were moved to the Old Inn. We found it very comfortable, and friendly. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent, only complaint was not enough crackers with the huge amount of cheese after dinner. 4 crackers between 3 people paying £18 for cheese course was a bit mean. We did pay for extra crackers but felt that they could have provided more crackers.
On the plus side excellent breakfast and will definitely return again.
Outstanding scenery in a lovely area.

Room Tip: Both rooms we booked were good so unable to advise what room to try and book, I believe all rooms ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Old Inn? Share your experiences!