“Very Friendly” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1491 641245
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Hart is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Nettlebed
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

On our way recently to Henley we popped in to The White Hart for a drink in the late afternoon and were very impressed. Although the restaurant was closed it looked very nice and the bar area was very cosy with a real fire. The staff ( both South African ) were very friendly and happily chatted away to Mrs FB2000 and I, and when she enquired about the hotel rooms she was immediately taken to see one of the standard rooms. She advised that it looked very nice and she would have been very happy to have stayed for the night and carried on drinking !

Glancing at the menu I noticed that the filet steaks were reasonably priced ( especially as these are becoming increasingly rare in the UK) and there was the usual fare plus a few items with a South African flavour. There is also a carvary on Sundays. They also had a notice board proclaiming the best steaks in Oxfordshire but I will have to return to verify this claim !

One possible downside was the lack of a mobile phone signal in the bar although they did say a WiFi connection could be provided free of charge, or a signal could be received in the car park !

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Really good food . Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Very good food. Nice friendly atmosphere. Great service.
This was our first visit in rears and we were very pleasantly surprised. The quality was high but the prices were very reasonable.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire
“Beautiful Food, Comfy Environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Have since returned again here due to the impressive menu and great food that is served.

A touch of South Africa goes throughout the menu but still plenty to choose from othrrwise.

Staff are very polite although a couple of the bar staff seem to lack confidence, but it doesnt deter from a good night.

Booking recommended if your a party bigger than 2 though, we have been fortunate to be squeezed in as we have got there early.

Top grub, top Ales and brilliant set up leaves you a classy belly filled evening.

London, United Kingdom
“A Lovely weekend away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal for my Husband and myself for 2 nights last weekend. As this was the first weekend away on our own for a very long time, I was a little sceptical after reading some of the other reviews about staff and service. I needn't have been. We received very good service and found the staff to be pleasant, welcoming and courteous. We were allocated Room 9, Olive which was in the annexe. It was a wonderful room, albeit very cold. The one radiator in the room is insufficient for the winter months and needs to be left on for longer prior to guests arriving. We had a bottle of champagne in ice when we arrived which was also very nice. Dinner on Friday night was very good and I didn't feel that we were made to feel inferior due to the Groupon deal with were on. The menu is big enough to suit all tastes. Breakfast was decent, but on the Saturday morning, I do agree with the reviewer that stated that the bacon was hard and very dry. Having said that, yesterday morning it was perfect. A lovely hotel not far from Henley-on-Thames and a great spot to explore Oxford and the surrounding area. I would recommended this hotel based on our recent experiences and we will definitely return again with or without the Groupon offer.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“A disappointment from last experience ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My family and I regularly go to the white hart for family meals when we are all home and together. It is normally a very welcoming place.

Though my thoughts have now been changed. After all the great evenings we have had we decided to recommend this place to my boyfriends family while they were down visiting us. We arrived and it seemed to be as present as ever. Though when we asked for our table we were looked at with shock and seemed to placed on the nearest table in the middle of the room, though there was no one in the room. A nice off to one side table would have been more pleasant. (They weren't busy for most of the evening.) . Are waiter was disinterested in us and his English was hard to understand. He seemed to speak overly fast and unclearly.

We made are order and the starters were pleasant. The mains were a different story! The vegetables were uncooked and half of my partners stake was fat. We told our waiter and he seemed not to take any of it on and rush are plates to the kitchen. On his return he apologised and told us the vegetables will be taken off the bill but dismissed the stake telling us it was the cut. Even though my partners farther had the same cut with half the far.

After being informed of this we spoke to the manager and said that we would not be paying for a 12oz stake as there was not 12oz to be eaten. After telling her this the bill was amended and we did only pay for the 8oz.

Though we did receive a discount, we left completely disappointed and also upset at the down fall in quality.

They need to bring back the old staff and give the new ones need intense training!!!