“Great break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Nettlebed
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and I was a little nervous about the noise after reading reviews however I didn't need to worry as there was not anything to worry about. We were in a room facing the road but there was secondary glazing and we weren't troubled by traffic at all. The room was lovely, staff very friendly and the champagne and food delicious!,

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are not as noisy as some people have said on reviews. The room is lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

After reading recent reviews we wanted to treat ourselves, so we booked Sunday lunch Yesterday.We weren't disappointed - Even when we arrived in the car park and looked towards the hotel we knew we were in for a lovely treat. The Hotel decor is quaint - but modern...... what a lovely surprise....Excellent is the only word to discribe EVERYTHING - The Lunch - The Staff and the Hotel.....Suitable for all age ranges-families with small children to ,even dare I say, those of a mature age. Would love to have a party there.--- We will definately go again - Next trip afternoon tea i think .....I have already recommended to our close friends and family . See you again soon

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here as part of a deal from vouchercodes and glad I found it! The hotel is near wallingford and henley - so plenty to do locally. The room that I stayed in was clean and well decorated. My room was on the road - and downstairs, so my only comment is - there are no nets or shutters in the window - so don't get undressed in the room without closing the curtains - unless you want to be a peep show - not a major problem, but something to think about! The room was large and spacious, decorated in a rather individual style - the bed was nice and comfortable therefore, a good nights sleep. We ate at the restaurant - the menu was very good - and I had a great steak with sticky toffee pudding for desert - it was delicious - generous portions - definitely a satisfying meal! The wine list was good - and a couple of bottles of red - it was good that we were staying the night! The pub and restaurant itself, although is in the country - has a modern gastropub feel - its up to you what your preference is - but coming from London - there are loads of gastropubs - and sometimes it is nice to be at a local feel pub! Having said that - it was a great place to drink.
My only criticism to the whole thing was the fact that they charge for wifi - why on earth would you charge for wifi in this day and age? To be honest - it is my bugbear whenever I am staying away - free wifii is a must!

Room Tip: Try and avoid the room downstairs on the road - and if you get it - remember to draw the curtains!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

booked the basic double as it was all that was left for this past weekend. I had read good reviews so wanted to give it a go for a quiet weekend out of our busy city life. However, there were several disappointing factors and clearly we weren't so lucky as some of the other reviewers....the basic doubles are positioned on the road - very noisy! So beware and ask where your room is within the plot. The room itself was otherwise very nice and comfortable bed. The food was incredibly disappointing, maybe an 'off night' for the kitchen but it was plain, bland and no presentation. Same with the bfast so we didn't bother with it on our second morning. Service was average. On our check out though no ' thank you for your stay' or 'how was your stay', no eye contact, just a very factual 'you owe us this amount'...it is a very 'hit and miss' place in my opinion. My perception is that the manager has taken on more then his team can handle with all the offers they have going. But we weren't on an offer and expected a little bit more for the cost of the stay and the website that is very well done and sells them to be a very high-end establishment. London prices for very little other than a place to sleep....we probably wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: away from the main road!
Home Counties
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed with a groupon deal. Great room,one of the best meals and loved the stay. For a deal it was the best we have had so far from more than half a dozen groupons. The steak was superb only moan was bar shut without notice and early? We were prepared to spend money and time after dinner.

Room Tip: The ground floor opposite the bar. Huge and very comfy.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband treated me to a few nights away for my birthday. With stayed in the olive room and it was amazing. The bed was huge and the bathroom was beautiful. There was even a patio area outside, would have been nice sitting there if it wasn't raining! On my birthday it poured down with rain so we spent the day in the room, in the very big bed watching films and drinking tea (we know how to live). We had a meal booked in hotel and when we got to our table there was a card for me and complimentary glasses of champagne!!! We had an amazing meal and I must say the best birthday in a long time. We had a real laugh with the staff. The staff were lovely, really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok, service was lovely. Definately recommend this place and I look forward to going back.

Room Tip: They have a range of indivdual rooms. Ours was the olive room and was lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pluckley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I purchased the break at the White Hart as a anniversary treat. Good points first. The room was in the main hotel, really lovely, very tastefully decorated and huge. The dinner was absolutely delicious, superb steaks, truly some of the nicest we've had in a long time, and the fishcake starter my husband had was delicious. We were too full for desert, but those we saw going past looked very lovely. There was also a good wine list which was reasonably priced. Breakfast was also very good, perfect poached eggs and very good quality bacon and sausages. The location of the hotel is ideal for Henley, with ample parking on site. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and service was good.

A couple of negatives. The hotel is very much on a main road, which I knew from reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. To be fair to the manager, he did offer to move us to one of the rooms in the car park when I expressed concern about the noise as the windows were open, but we really liked the room we had been given and thought perhaps it would not be that noisy. Unfortunately we were wrong. (we were in Cocoa). As above, you do have the option to stay in new part of the hotel, which has been constructed in the car park, but the character rooms are in the main building. As we were there in August, we needed to have the window open, which made for a very noisy night's sleep, and being woken very early Saturday morning by road noise. It may benefit the hotel to simply seal the windows (they have do have secondary glazing) and install a small airconditioning unit in those rooms fronting the road, thus doing away with the need to open the windows and making the rooms much quieter. The bathroom was very tastefully decorated, but unfortunately the shower in our room was not very powerful at all. The roll top bath in the room is a lovely feature, but more shower gel and bubble bath need to be provided to make the most of this.

All in all a good stay, with only very minor niggles. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are beautiful, but very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!