“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Coxwold B&B and Inns
doncaster
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I booked two nights (minimum stay at this b&b) as a little treat for ourselves. We can't fault the place itself, looks lovely from the outside, inside is very clean and tidy with lots of bits and bobs to look at. Our room was large and nicely furnished, would have been lovely to see the gorgeous fireplace rather than a very old TV sat on a table in front of it, but thats my personel view. The bed was very comfortable - lovely quality duvets and pillows. The bathroom was also large and we had ensuite (some rooms have a private bathroom just next door rather than ensuite - dressing gowns provided to spare any blushes!), both bath and over bath shower in our room. Lovely big towels and toilettries provided. We stayed for evening meal on our first night - there is no choice (you feel as if you're sharing their evening meal) - we are lucky and will try and usually like most things so enjoyed the very nice meal we had, but perhaps if you are fussy or have any special dietary needs check this out before you book. All the salad/veg/fruit is home grown so extra delicious! We were visited by Maisy, a gorgeous puppy, who made friends with us all with her cute face and waggy tail!! There is a breakfast menu provided, just tick what you want for next morning and a time you wish to eat (within the serving times!). The food is again fresh and nicely presented, the breakfast room overlooks the immaculate garden. It would have been nice to be able to sit out to have a pre dinner g&t or an early morning coffee, but this is not allowed? There is a lovely pub in the village - just 10 mins walk if you want a drink or two (no bar at Newburgh House as such, but you can have wine with meal and are offered a pre meal drink), or a meal if Newburgh can't offer you one. Or the hosts at Newburgh House will recommend others if you don't mind driving to them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
newsuzy, Owner at Newburgh House - Coxwold, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
I thought I had better let you know ( in case you visit us again ) , all our old TV's are being replaced this week due to digital change over !!

I am pleased you enjoyed your meals ...we do always ask our guests prior to arrival , if they have any dislikes or allergies ...

All our guests are very welcome to use our lovely gardens and I really cannot understand why you thought otherwise !!
Do hope you were not too disappointed .. Maisie is still making lots of friends !

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Spent two nights at Newburgh House in Coxwold village with my dog. I found this little 6 roomed B&B was cosy, pretty and typically English in its setting, with a lovely view of the rear garden from my bedroom. The host Suzy was friendly and helpful in showing me some local walks, which I thoroughly recommend to do if one has some hours to spare.

My room is very comfortable and well equipped for a B&B, the telly was a bit small by today's standards but perfectly fine for me. The bed was extremely comfy with nice, crisp white sheets.

Breakfast was tasty, with a good choice of the typical fare, all served in the charming breakfast room overlooking the garden. Watching an acrobatic squirrel steal nuts off a bird table only several feet away was priceless.

Beautiful location next to a lake and off road parking makes this a great B&B to visit.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the rear garden for quiet views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Attended a wedding at nearby Newburgh priory, so this seemed like the ideal location. They would only accept bookings of 2 nights or more which was a slight inconvenience. Tried to check in early evening, owner was rude, brusque, and unwelcoming. This attitude continued for the duration of the stay.
I expected a lot more from such a highly rated establishment.

• Stayed July 2012
newsuzy, Owner at Newburgh House - Coxwold, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
This is a nasty vindictive review wriiten by a guest who attended a nearby wedding on 28th July 2012
All our rooms had been booked by the bride for the nights of 27/28th July and allocated to her guests. they were booked & a deposit paid in October 2011. The guests were to pay their own accounts. The writer of this review did not arrive until after 6pm on the 28th. No explanation was given for not coming the night before. I did say "I was expecting you yesterday " If this was interpreted as "rude or Grumpy" then it was not intended to be . I offered a cot and a high chair & food for the baby ( whom I didn't know was coming )
This is a question of sour grapes ! They had hoped not to pay for the 1st night regrettably we have to maintain a business ! Please read our other reviews !
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We spent a wonderful weekend at Newburgh House with our close friends and dog Ruby.
From the minute we arrived on Friday evening, it was relaxation all the way.
We were greeted by Suzw ie and Colin's beautiful daughter who was helping out because her mum was ill. She made us so welcome and it was definitely home from home.
After a day at work and then travelling to Coxwold, it was relaxing to sit in front of the log fire with a drink or three before dinner was served in the beautiful dining room. We had opted for the bed, breakfast & evening meal deal on both nights, which did not disappoint with fresh veg and herbs from the garden. After a lovely meal, we were visited by Maisie, the most beautiful puppy I have ever seen. She was an absolute joy and our dog Ruby, thoroughly enjoyed playing with her.
The house itself is a stunning & beautiful place which is tastefully decorated & furnished with very well appointed and large rooms. We splashed out and went for the luxury room which was huge & had a sofa and chairs to sit and watch the rugby on a large flat screen TV. The queen size bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious bedding, affording a wonderful nights sleep.
I would thoroughly recommend this wonderful gem of a place to anyone in need of a total chill out. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I along with the her parents stayed at Newburgh House for a long weekend and we had a simply wonderful time. The location is beautiful, the accommodation is very comfortable and clean and the hosts are excellent. The biggest compliment I can give is to describe it as a home away from home. I have no hesitation in recommending Newburgh House to anyone who's looking for something with a personal touch in an exceptional location!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
yorkshire, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My partner, my dog and I had a pleasant week-end here and the setting is beautiful. I'm not used to a B&B and not having any public rooms available, so you don't really get to meet any fellow visitors apart from at breakfast. However our bedroom was clean and nicely furnished, breakfast was very good, Suzie was very helpful with regard to suggesting good walks around the area. I did miss having a shower in the bathroom tho and breakfast was very early for us later risers!. If you want a peaceful retreat for a week-end stay then I would reccommend Newburgh House.

Room Tip: if you want a shower in your bathroom carefully check the details.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Following our wedding, we stayed with Colin and Suzie Bell for a long weekend. Newburgh House is bar far in the best setting for traquility, peace and comfort. Colin and Suzie were very welcoming and thoughtful after our horiffic day with the traffic. Both are very warm people and nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed the long walks that were recommended and especially the restaurants that Suzie booked for us for our evening meals. Such Hospitality is priceless and definately well worth visiting again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Newburgh House - Coxwold? Share your experiences!