“The perfect base to enjoy Middleham and its rich heritage” 5 of 5 stars

The White Swan Hotel
Market Place, Middleham, Leyburn DL8 4PE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Middleham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The perfect base to enjoy Middleham and its rich heritage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have been visiting Middleham regularly for around five years due to our love of horse racing and we have always found staying at the White Swan to be a thoroughly enjoyable and extremely comfortable experience which meets all our needs and more.

The hotel is situated right on the main village square which provides convenient car parking; the bistro is wonderfully cosy with delicious food (on our most recent stay we had a lovely tasty potato and leek soup, followed by chicken and mushroom pizza/Wensleydale cheese-topped homemade beef burger with chips); the bar area is traditional with an open fire and the service is always excellent and friendly.

The rooms are a beautiful mix of original features with modern and comfortable facilities, and the Wi-Fi works perfectly.

For fellow racing enthusiasts, the experience of eating a tasty breakfast while a string of racehorses trot past the window on their way up to exercise on the moor is quite amazing; the low moor itself, where the local trainers gallop their horses,is a ten minute walk away and provides a stunningly beautiful environment for an early morning stroll, especially if you get there for sunrise.

As well as the horses, who are housed in various yards around the village, the White Swan is located just a couple of minutes' walk from Middleham Castle with its rich history; locally, Rievaulx Abbey, Aysgarth Falls and the towns of Leyburn, West Witton and Hawes are all within easy reach.

We will be going back to the White Swan many more times and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting this beautiful area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Owner at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for such a positive statement about us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as part of an organized cycling event with my company, so I was not involved in choosing the hotel or the room.

The landlord and his staff were very nice and friendly, and were very accommodating of all of our bicycles. The food was pretty good for outside London (although the chocolate pudding was on the dry side), and the pub was cozy and not expensive.

The rooms were quite another matter. While they were decorated nicely, the main things you want from a hotel room is to be able to relax in comfort and to get a hot shower. This was a complete failure on both counts.

I have been to over 40 countries and in only one (the UK) have I ever seen electric showers. There is a good reason for this - they suck. My shower ran scalding hot for 3 seconds, comfortably warm for 2 seconds, and then cold for 55 seconds, and repeated the cycle. The water that did come out was at about the same volume as being sprinkled by pixies. It took me half an hour to get a shower, and I couldn't rise my hair properly so I had to do it in the sink.

The second night I used the shower in one of my colleague's rooms, which did much the same routine but at a marginally higher volume of water.

I didn't sit on the bed until I was about to get in it, and then I sank right into it among uncomfortable springs. It was like sleeping on top of a sack of potatoes. My room faced the village square, with another pub's customers keeping me awake late into the night. The walls were very thin so I could hear someone in the neighbouring room every time he turned over in bed, or if they went out their squeaky door. The person in the room below complained about being able to hear me walking around upstairs, because I couldn't sleep so got up to go to the loo.

Not a place I would choose to come back to, other than the restaurant if I was already in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sean L, Owner at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I am very sorry the room you stayed in did not meet your requirements, as you may be aware we are upgrading all of the rooms currently and sadly not all are yet complete. I'm glad you enjoyed our food and appreciated our efforts in ensuring you had a good stay. Clearly there is room for improvement but I can assure you we will continue to improve. Thank you for your commets, they are always helpful.
north yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed for a night & had comfortable room overlooking the market square with both bath & shower.
The room had everything including proper big cups & local magazines.Only thing missing was soap in the bathroom but that was no problem,probably just an oversight.
We had a beautiful meal in the bistro.My husband had the steak with blue cheese & my neice had the haddock.They loved it.I had the blue cheese burger.Very tasty & great service too.
They also had the bramley apple crumble which they said was probably one of the best they had ever had.
As an added advantage to us,the racehorses came out for their early morning gallop.What a sight for horse lovers !!!
Breakfast was served by the lovely Sam .Everything fresh,tasty & lovely atmosphere.
We paid £89 for bed,breakfast & evening meal.
What a deal.
Really enjoyed our stay & loved Middleham & hope to return soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments, sorry about the soap. Clearly it was an oversight. Hopefully we will see you again.
Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My room, which overlooked the market square was very spacious and comfortable. The en-suite bathroom had a bath as well as a shower. After 2 days of walking (40 miles in total), I was glad to soak my aching joints in the bath. The hot water was very hot at all times.

In the evening I ate in the Bistro and took advantage of the 2 courses fixed price option which saved me about £6 if I had paid for the items individually. The food was very good and for fish eaters there was quite a choice. However the desserts were nothing special.

Breakfast (served from 7.30) was average, but the service was friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: My room was over the front bar/restaurant area. I was not troubled by noise too much, but in the su...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your good report, we all look forward to seeing you again.
Co. Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Should probably have spoken when booked in or out of room but sadly I'm a wimp. Dark room old fashioned not like picture when I booked. Wallpaper peeling off in areas cracks in the ceiling and a strange stain up there too. Back of toilet dirty. On a positive'.... quiet warm comfortable bed with VERY clean linen and towels. Staff very attentive at breakfast lovely girl serving. Think my disappointment was that I felt misled by pics. View from window was lovely, Overall not too bad but maybe a bit of a clean up and attention to decor needed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean L, Owner at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I'm sorry you visit was a little disappointing. We are currently refurbishing our rooms and this will continue over the next few weeks. I can assure you we will have a great hotel with clean and comfy rooms throughout in the near future. Thank you for your comments they are important to us. We do hope you come again.
North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before the Darlington Championship Dog Show at Ripon Racecourse. We can't fault anything. Stunning location, incredibly helpful dog loving staff and management, lovely food, and nice beers which I researched with vigour. Already thinking of excuses to come back. Dogs are properly excluded from the excellent restuarant, but not from the very comfortable bar. For dog lovers, this hotel is gold dust! Oh and Henry (the dog) won his class at the show:-)

Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and congratulations on the win!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the White Swan for one night on a Saturday. The whole place gives an impression of quality and we were not disappointed. The staff are friendly and the room we were given was of a high standard. Bathroom was clean, everything worked fine and was nice and roomy. Breakfast was equally of a good standard, served in an attractive, bright dining area. We would definitely stay here again for a short break in the Yorkshire Dales. One small point which would help future guests would be to highlight the policy of obtaining a key for coming back after 11pm when guests check in, as we didn't read the information leaflet in the room before going out. We had no problems as we were back just before 11 anyway, but it would save any misunderstanding for any future guests. Nevertheless, the owner and the staff are keen to make sure you enjoy your stay and are very helpful. Great place, thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you we are always delighted to hear all reviews, good ones are fantastic.

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!