“Decent food, good atmosphere but chaotic service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Decent food, good atmosphere but chaotic service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We ate here for the first time recently. The venue is a cellar, it's attractively if simply furnished, and warm. The night we went it was pretty much full. There is a set menu at £26 or an a la carte, upon which mains range from £15-£25. Reasonable wine list, some by the glass. Food when it came was very tasty, well cooked. The issue we had was chaotic service, with lost wines, missing cutlery, dishes arriving at different times.

Overall a three blob rating - four for the food and venue, two for the service.

• Visited December 2012

61% Recommend
“Extremely poor,slow service from somewhat amatuer staff.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

This was my first ever visit and it will be my last. The service was exceedingly slow and the two waitresses were less than attentive. It was hardly busy with only 16 covers during the two and a half hours we were in the restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“The Best Food in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I went to 'The Restaurant' for the first time on Saturday 29 September.
The cellar restaurant is spacious and well laid out.
There were some different dishes on the menu and I was excited to try something new.
We both had the Merguez sausages with salad, cous cous and mint riatha to start...gorgeous !!
for main I had the cumin roasted lamb with butter beans in a light tomato sauce and a cheesy, creamy potato slice...simply the best lamb I have ever eaten !!
my lamb and my wife's fillet steak were cooked to perfection and we chose the morrocan red to wash it down, this was a gamble and i was intrigued, for the fact that I have never heard of morrocan wine before.
It was amazing, and at £20 well worth the experience.
You must try the baked fudge bananas with mango sorbet for desert, incredible !! especialy with the house desert wine (£5 per glass) which balanced out with the sweetness of the desert perfectly.
My wife went for the Port and cheese board and it looked very well done and was an ample serving.
Thank you as well to Jane, who waited on us and impressed us with her knowledge of the wines and menu
Hassan the chef/owner came and sat with us at the end of the evening for a chat and a glass of wine which was the perfect end to a perfect evening.
Saffron Walden diners, do yourselves a favor and get down there for some amazing food

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Looe, United Kingdom
“Something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Only been the once but had good African/Mediterranean food from a very reasonably priced set menu. It was quite empty so not such a great atmosphere but with friends it was fine. It's a bit different from the other places in town - a little hidden with a unique menu.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Definitely recommend, fab summer special!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

My husband & I were visiting family in the area and we ate here with them on Saturday night - the food was really good and the summer special was very good value - 3 courses for £15. I liked the different choices on the main menu as well - so will be back to try them. I enjoyed every course. My husband had no complaints over the wine he ordered. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, service not overly fast but we didn't mind that.

• Visited August 2011