“Wet Winter Suday” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corscombe
The Fox Inn
| DT2 0NS, Corscombe, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Corscombe B&B and Inns
Beaminster, United Kingdom
“Wet Winter Suday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Phoned to book a table about noon and they fitted us in as only 2 of us. Good to see the pub open again with a new lease of life. Friendly, good beer and a very good Sunday Lunch. Several options on the special board and all sounded and looked very good. My daughter had fish and I the partridge all with very good veg. Friendly service.
Log fires burning and lots of locals made for a very good atmosphere.
Nice to have another solid option in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It reopened in early Dec 12 under new local management and as I am also a local I am glad to see it back in operation. I have already sampled the real ales sitting by the inglenook log fires - one in both bars - and I next intend to sample the new food menu which I am told is very good.

Room Tip: I think the guest rooms are still under renovation at this time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

delighted to see this pub up and running again under new management. The pub has been restored beautifully mantaining its charm. The new management Shane and Marie are welcoming and keep a great pint.
There is such a good atmosphere . I look forward to regular visit

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Great to be back to enjoy delicious food and a warm welcome in this renowned local pub. We ate a wonderful roast lamb Sunday lunch with 8 friends, plenty to eat, meat perfectly cooked with more veggies than we could eat. The puds menu is especially creative and the homemade white chocolate ice cream pronounced " to die for". We will definitely be back on a regular basis.

• Stayed December 2012
Beaminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

As the Pub is now under new management we decided to take our works Christmas lunch there, which also included my father who is a real foodie and would travel miles for a good meal. (I was a little worried about taking him there). I needn't have worried, we were greeted by a warm and cosy atmosphere with open fireplaces and a good selection of Real Ales. After ordering our food we were taken to our table in a beautiful conservatory. I had sea bass with a Spinach mash surrounded by a seafood chowder of mussels. It was cooked beautifully. Other members of our party enjoyed partridge and roast turkey. My father said it was one of the best meals he had had for a long time. (phew). I went back to the pub and few nights later for a mid week drink and was greeted by the same cosy atmosphere and was shocked to see one side of the pub packed with eaters (mid week). The room to the left had a huge inglenook fireplace and some very welcoming locals, playing a fun game of darts and generally being with friendly. I will definitely be going back to equally eat and also to just drink. Good luck to them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This place has been bought and refurbished recently, and is a lovely building but unfortunately the food is very poor value for money with a very small choice. I and one other of my party had calf's liver and bacon with onion mash and veg and the other had the only vegetarian option on the menu - I asked for the liver to be well done as I don't like meat even pink. When the meal arrived after a 50 minute wait (we were the first people to order) a very small mound of mash (no sign of onion in it ) topped with 2 paper thin crisp pieces of streaky bacon and 3 tiny pieces of liver which was red inside ( I was so hungry by now, I didn't bother to ask for the meat to be cooked more) and when the veg arrived there was barely enough for one person never mind 3. A real pity, shant be eating there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Beaminster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We decided to rent a property in Corscombe and went off in search of the local pub. The Fox looks quite quaint from the outside with rather worn thatch and unkept exterior. Being adventurous we decided to go inside and explore the interior. If we said that the place looked like it had been time warped in the 1940's, we would not been far wrong. Decor is dated, bar is indescribable and the landlord should have starred in "Fawlty Towers". One local resident described him as having the personality of a brick. The highlight of the interior is the mobile phones which have been nailed to the oak beams. Nevertheless, we ordered a meal and too be quite honest, if was freshly cooked, tasty and very enjoyable. The chef Steve, comes out and chats and is very accommodating to any culinary requests. In conclusion, if you want an interesting experience, give it a try, but be warned, the landlord Clive has no sense of humour.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fox Inn? Share your experiences!