“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
You added The Royal Lion Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Broad Street, Lyme Regis DT7 3QF, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dormston, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We walked in off the street looking for a room for the night and had been recommended this Hotel by a local shopkeeper. Jayne at reception went out of her way to give us an upgraded room for the standard price and after declining the King Edward room, because I felt the bed might be a bit small, we settled on room 18.
This is a large very well appointed room with a full size bathroom - all of the highest standard and a delight to be in.
We ate in the bar and the food was pretty much ok as was the beer. Breakfast was good.
This is a nice Hotel perfectly situated in the centre of town and just a stones throw to the beach and one which we would hope to visit again.
Apart from Jayne we were equally impressed by the service we received from Colette at reception, the Manager who sorted out my wife's problem with the heating and the young lady who served us at the bar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Rodger R

Thank you for recent review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was delighted to read your positive comments about your experience.

I was glad to learn you and your wife had found your room so comfortable and that you had enjoyed your dinner in our Inn and also breakfast. I have already passed on your feedback to Jayne, Collette and all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was such a success.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you both to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Antigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Having only stayed one night in such a premier location to enjoy the Marine Theatre, I met few staff. Nonetheless the reception staff were outstandingly helpful. The cooked breakfast food & restaurant service were rather disappointing for this standard of hotel. It's pricey to stay but you can't really expect anything less in a tourist honey pot as sublime as Lyme Regis especially when the sun shines on a glorious autumn day.

Dear Marilyn20

It is appreciated that you have taken the time to complete a trip advisor review, the comments from which help us to identify where we may improve the standard of service to our guest’s stay at The Royal Lion Hotel.

The management team and I review all feedback to ensure that the appropriate action is undertaken relating to guest’s comments and suggestions. Improvements to our service are always discussed with the staff concerned and where practicable actioned immediately.

Once again we thank you for your comments and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Super hotel in a great location. Good sized rooms with rear garden. Nice and modern rooms. Front of the hotel is very old and has a superb bar. V old fashioned but clean and functional with prompt service. Beers excellent as is the food. Price of a room is high (134 per night).

• Stayed October 2013
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear bertiefaversham

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was so pleased you found your patio room of a good size, and that you enjoyed the more traditional part of the hotel and took advantage of our facilities including our Inn. I will pass on your comments to all the team who I am sure will be most grateful for your positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a couple of days at this great venue, we are fairly frequent visitors to Lyme Regis and have visited the hotel for food and drinks. The staff there are very friendly and helpful and always make you very welcome, so we decide to stay for a couple of nights, when during conversation they asked if were celebrating a special occasion and I told them it was our 30th wedding anniversary, they went out of their way to make our stay extra special (a special thanks to Tony the bar and restaurant manager) by giving us an upgrade to a room with a balcony, they organized moving our belongings and delivery of flowers for my wife which they placed in the room and all this was done while my wife and I were out and about enjoying ourselves. It was a nice surprise for Denise when we returned. The breakfast and evening meals we had were excellent, the bar has a very good selection of ales and is very comfortable, all in all a great time and we will certainly be returning. A big thank you to all staff, kind regards Joe and Denise.

Dear Joe & Denise

Thank you for your delightful review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was so pleased to read your comments.

I have already passed on your feedback to our Restaurant & Bar Manager and all the team who went out of their way to ensure your time with us was so special.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you once again to The Royal Lion Hotel.

Bribie Island, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a night at this interesting hotel. We took a std double room which was quite adequate space wise. There is plenty of parking at the back of the hotel for guests which is important as parking is generally very limited in this lovely little seaside town.
We opted for ground floor close to the car park as we had several pieces of luggage to tote. The hotel is an interesting mixture of the old and the new and it was an amazing journey from our room at the back through to the bar at the front.
Down several corridors, through the games room complete with full size ping- pong and pool tables, past the heated indoor swimming pool and sauna, through a tastefully decorated lounge - with free wi- fi, also available in the bar- and finally to the well earned drink.

Breakfast in the upstairs dining room was excellent with a mixture of serve yourself juice, cereal and fruit and silver service mains. The morning we were there was quite busy - testament to the hotel's popularity.
The specials in the casual dining bar were sold out on the Sunday night and the formal dining room was booked out, much to our disappointment.
The only negatives of the hotel experience were minor - we ran out of toilet paper - there was no back- up roll- this was remedied immediately and the shower stall turned into a bath after about 3 mins - drain needs unplugging.

Room Tip: Bring your own tissues - none provided
Dear Deb T

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

It would appear from your comments that we were very busy during your stay, and therefore you were unable to take advantage of either our Oak Room Restaurant or of our daily changing special in our Inn. I hope this did not distract from what I understand from your review to have been such a positive experience. I have also taken the opportunity to raise the minor points regarding your room with our Housekeeper, and she has assured me that she has addressed them so as to ensure no such further lapses.

Once again thank you for your kind words about our hotel, I have already passed on all your comments to the team, and I know they are always grateful to receive such a complimentary review.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back once again to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had four nights at this hotel which was the best experience we have had both here and abroad..Our en suite bedroom of a courtyard at the rear was both comfortable and quiet.Breakfasts were excellent and substantial and the one evening meal in the hotel restaurant was simply superb-compliments to the chef-with an added enjoyment of home made bread.The staff,from cleaners to receptionists and managers were friendly and gave of their time freely.The bonus was the swimming pool with jacuzzi and sauna-a real delight.The hotel and car park were central which was particularly useful when parking in Lyme Regis is at a premium. We couldn't have asked for more !

Room Tip: Request a room to the rear -it is quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear BrainHighWycombe

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was delighted to read that you found your room both comfortable and quiet, your breakfast excellent and your dinner, on one evening, superb. I have already taken the opportunity to pass on your positive comments to all the team who were involved in ensuring your experience was so memorable. I was also pleased to you found our facilities; swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna a real delight and our complimentary car park such a bonus.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again, in the not too distant future.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We are just back from a long weekend stay at the Royal Lion on dinner, bed & breakfast basis. The star rating on this hotel does not do it justice. From the moment we checked in, the service was first rate. All staff we encountered were friendly and more than helpful. In particular, the restaurant staff were courteous and made us feel special. The meals were superb and were obviously prepared and cooked by chefs who knew about food to a high standard. We booked a Courtyard room and were impressed by it's cleanliness and spacious interior. The wet room was very spacious and nicely decorated with good tiling on floors and walls. We did not use the swimming pool facilities but nevertheless checked them out and were impressed by the high standard. If you wanted to stay at this hotel on a B&B basis only there are plenty of good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel to choose from. We will definitely be returning to the Royal Lion again.

Room Tip: The room we had was reasonably quiet with a small amount of noise from the road. I don't think a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Wendy T

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent long weekend at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn you felt our star rating did not do us justice, and that you felt the service was first rate.

I have already taken the opportunity to pass on your most positive feedback to all the team to thank them for their efforts, their friendly and courteous attitude and for ensuring your time with us was so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Mark Dridge MIH

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!