“Another great meal” 5 of 5 stars

01822 852807
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 11 Restaurants in Yelverton
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Another great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have just had another great meal at this restaurant. We to we're dubious about dining at jasmines after reading some reviews but we have now dined there once or twice a month for the past four months and have found the food excellent and the staff although all new very polite and friendly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tavistock, United Kingdom
“Nobody says sorry any more...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We came here for a family meal. Parking was easy enough, even with our huge gas-guzzler. The lady who served us to begin with was very polite. We ordered the food, starters and mains. The starters flew out in a matter of minutes, and were nice, however, there was a mistake so one of our starters came out about 7-10 minutes late and thus we all had to wait while my old man ate his late starter.
As a side note the child on the table next to us was whining and screaming to the extent that it was annoying my usually very chilled out mother, I know it's not the staff's fault, but seriosuly parents, learn to control your kids!
After that came the big problem for me. Firstly it took a very long time for our plates to be cleared, easily ten minutes after my father had finished his late starter. Now usually I'm not one for keeping track of time, especially if we're having a good conversation on the table, but thanks to the earlier delay, I was becoming more aware of how long it was taking for our starter plates to be cleared. Finally they were, and so began problem number two.
The time difference between the first main meal arriving on our table and the last one was again easily ten minutes. Now, I am aware that they had some new staff here, it said on a sign as you walked in they had some new helpers. Ok, fine, I'm not Scrooge, I've worked in a pub before, so I appreciate new staff can cause a delay and it's just one of those things. However even on my first day in a pub I knew that if I made people wait I should apologise, I like to treat people how I would like to be treated myself. Alas, here at the Jasmin, this way of thinking does not seem to exist. When asked politely where the last meal for our table was, the waitress (a different one to the one who sat us down) just harshly said "Yeah it's on it's way!" in a tone that suggested that we were actually hastleing her! I can't understand why nobody said sorry, it really soured the experience.
Anyway, the mains were Ok, and after that we paid and left. As we left the girl who served us to begin with said sorry to my old man, and that was appreciated, but by then the damage was done. Just a quick apology from any of the staff and an explination when we were waiting for the last main would have made this a four-star review. However, we were just left in suspense, feeling that if we asked again for our food we'd just get another harsh reaction, an uncomfortable feeling that I have no interest in having on what was supposed to be a good night out.
To conclude, manners cost nothing, rudeness costs customers.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Used to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We had an outstanding meal here 10yrs ago, when we were staying nearby. And so, as we were here, again, for an anniversary decided to have another great meal. However, the food was good (not as great as we had before) and the wine expensive, as you would expect. The whole place would benefit from a lower light level, as they were a bit glarey. The service was a tad ramshackled by staff that could've been happier.
That said, the food was good and we walked out with full bellies. I would go there again, if in the area, but I have had better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Yelverton, United Kingdom
“very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

we have always come to this Chinese restaurant and have just been back after a few months of not getting it because of hearing bad things about it going down hill and they were right.
The food was Luke warm and it was disgusting nothing like it used to be we both eat a little bit and wont be going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
saltash
“anniversary meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

we "myself my wife and 2 friends" for a meal on our anniversary . we were quite near by and thought we should call to see if we could grab a table. anyway the gentleman that answered had hardly any grasp of english it took literally 5 mins to book our table.very frustrating. having eaten there many many times in the past we were very surprised to not recognise 1 member of staff!
any way the food as always was great! highly recommend it but the staff were very very new to the service industry! if we had a question about a dish they had no idea at all! defiantly will be going back as the quality has not changed in my opinion!

• Visited August 2013