“I'd be worried if I my wedding reception was here!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moorland Garden Hotel

You added Moorland Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Moorland Garden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yelverton | Plymouth, Yelverton, Dartmoor National Park PL20 6DA, England (Formerly Moorland Links Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
SPRING TREATS BREAK
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“I'd be worried if I my wedding reception was here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent. The room had a nice veranda overlooking the gardens although the room itself was a little cramped. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were ok although one morning my partner requested some sauce, this was given to him in a ramekin dish which was clearly the leftovers from another table! It was nearly empty and had sauce smeared over the sides of the dish. Not very hygenic! On another morning the poached eggs were cold, the fried egg was cold and the sausage wasn't cooked properly, We ate in the bar every night as the restaurant menu was very pricey and very limited but on reflection I can understand why. This Hotel purports to host wedding receptions for 200+ guests yet on our third and last night the bar stopped taking food orders at 7pm and we were told we would have to wait for an hour before they started taking orders again. When I enquired why I was told because they were busy in the restaurant, I asked how many people had arrived to cause the bar food to shut I was informed 12!! So 12 people in the restaurant and less than this in the bar and they couldn't cope. What makes it even more ridiculous is the people in the bar were actually staying at the hotel and the restaurant is bookings only so it's not as if we took them by surprise. When our food did arrive we had to send it back; we had ordered fishcakes and they were cold inside. This hotel certainly promises but it doesn't deliver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Linda W

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately we did have a couple of issues which we have now resolved which lead to the slow service and the cold fishcakes.

Your observations are helpful to us in aims to improve constantly both in our operations and how we manage the situations that arise.

We would like you to return and I am sure that if you are able to you will find that what happened this time was a short term blip in what is normally a very smooth operation.

Andrew Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

After searching for a hotel room in Plymouth and finding out that the city was full during graduation week, I called this hotel at the last minute looking for a double room. They offered us the honeymoon forget-me-not suite at a discounted rate as it was all they had available. The room was stunning, and the staff were welcoming and warm - exactly what is needed after a long drive.
The bed was comfortable and the suite came with a lovely large balcony overlooking the grounds. Breakfast was very peaceful, starting with a selection from the continental table, including warm croissants and fruit, and an order for fresh cooked breakfast - I had a traditional English, the other half had poached haddock and eggs, both were delicious.
Overall we had a lovely experience at this and cannot thank the staff or recommend the place highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the forget-me-not suite, it was lovely, worth paying for an upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear nat2127,

Thank you for your very positive review, I am very pleased you found us and that we were able to look after you so well. It is pleasing to read that we've managed to get the people and the product so right for you.

I hope you will have a reason / excuse to come back again!

PLYMOUTH DEVON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Up until about 8 years ago we used this hotel for all our birthdays , anniversaries xmas lunch etc.
It was then called the Moorland Links Hotel and we used it for 30yrs Then the manager left and the hotel went into a steep decline and we and many other stopped using it
However it has now changed hands and been renamed.We have now visited the restaurant on two occasions ,once as a couple and once as a family and we must say that the food and service has been restored to its former glory The staff were just as friendly as we had in the past
We now will be once again celebrating in the restaurant
Highly recommended to those who like good food

eddie plymouth

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear eddie4805

Many thanks for your kind review, I was very pleased to read that your family enjoyed their time with us. It is good news to see that we are on our way back to where the hotel used to be as a centre for local celebrations.

We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel soon.

Andrew Jenkins, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Rooms very clean. Bathrooms very outdated but clean. However with a bright spotlight right over the bath it was not the relaxing soak I had expected. Staff very friendly and breakfast fine Lovely views from the dining area o er the gardens.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Mla45

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Moorland Garden Hotel. We are planning our winter work schedules which will take in the bathrooms so your feedback has come just at the right time! Breakfast is a particular focus at the moment so we will be seeing some more improvements here.

I was very pleased to see that you found the staff friendly and the views good. We hope to see you again shortly.

Andrew Jenkins, General Manager
Elland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

good service ,good staff ,good rooms ,good breakfast , I can not fault this hotel ,it is in a quiet place well away from the main road ,in lovely surroundings with pleasant views of the gardens with the wild life all a round you, I look forward to my next stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Gerry A

Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased we were able to provide the right atmosphere and facilities for your recent break with us. i will pass on your thanks to the team.

Great to hear you'll be back, look forward to meeting you then.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

On arrival for our Sunday lunch we unfortunately were not expected because our booking had gone awol, however, the staff quickly sorted out a table for us. Our main problem was the meal itself which was very poor, ( we made no complaint at the time as this meal was being bought for us). The leek and potato soup was weak and very bland, the pasta dish was under cooked and tasteless, and the desserts of bread and butter pudding had been warmed in the micro wave oven and was rubbery with custard and not clotted cream as on menu. There was no changing facilities for our baby, and we were told we could change him on the floor in the ladies, which is totally unacceptable, we were then shown into a previously used and unmade bedroom to change him on the floor there instead. On our return to our table the hot drinks had arrived and imagine my surprise at being brought as a hot chocolate drink, 1 sachet of hot chocolate with hot water to make your own! Unfortunately this review is not a good advert, and as such is the first poor review I have ever made. A return at the moment is highly unlikely.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Sally S,

Thank you for your review here following your family lunch here on Sunday. May I apologise for the disappointment you experienced. Please be assured we have taken steps to address the concerns you raised, your observations are very useful to me to help us improve our food offering and service.

Please can you contact me at the hotel, I would like to discuss this with you further.

Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed for one night with my 5 year old grand-daughter. This is an excellent hotel very clean and friendly. Breakfast was superb. Room very large with a lovely view of garden. Situated in a good area for visting Plymouth and the Nation Park. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Goonergal2009,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services here and that the staff were friendly. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Andrew Jenkins

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!