“Family golf break” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff
“Family golf break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having made a last minute booking to go away for a few games of golf we were'nt looking for luxury and thank goodness for that. The hotel part was clean and tidy but the food was very average and quite expensive. The golf courses are great and as we had a golf inclusive deal we could play as much as we wanted over the 3 days. The down side was that the championship course is quite hilly so we (my wife) decided we needed to have buggies and I was amazed to be charged £52.00 for 2 buggies for 18 holes of golf. I asked if there was a discount for residents but was informed in the pro shop that the prices were not set there which found quite strange. Having played at many top courses both at home and abroad this is probably the most i've ever had to pay for a buggy and left a bit of a sour taste.
Saying that this would be a good place for a golf society trip (if you carry or use pull carts) but not that great for families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DGCC, Sales and Marketing Manager at BEST WESTERN The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hi Goldenboycardiff,

Many thanks for taking the time to describe your stay here with us, is great to hear feedback from everyone.
I am very glad to hear that you had a great time on the golf course and that the golf package worked out well for you during your stay. I am equally pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and found it to your liking.
It does however sadden me to find that you did not find our food met the same standards that you had expected from the rest of the resort. I shall be sure to pass on your comments to our food and beverage team who I am sure will get to the bottom of this.
Equally that you found our buggy prices expensive, we have priced our buggies competitively in relation to other clubs in the area and hope that you do not find this prohibitive if you decide to visit us again.

I really hope we can welcome you back again soon

Huw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were a mixed group of 16 who took a two day break over the late May Bank Holiday.Rooms allocated were comfortable and well equipped if perhaps showing a few signs of their age.Beds were universally acclaimed to be extremely comfortable.Meals taken were also of a good standard and well presented.Course was as usual in great condition despite the fact that it is played on heavily. Tees of the day are alternated between red and blue, or red and white and it must be said some of the male high handicappers in our party struggled due to the carries required off the tee to reach the fairway. The ladies and the mid lower handicappers fared a little better however and considered the course a great challenge.Take a lot of balls you will need them. Service without exception was of a high standard both in reception,rooms,pro shop,bar and restaurant with a particular mention for the polish bar manager I think, whos name escapes me, he was unfailingly polite and courteous throughout and gave excellent first aid to my wife when she injured her wrist.One small negative comment is the price of drinks which we found on the heavy side. All in all a great venue for a party of golfers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Crib46,

Many thanks for leaving your comments, especially of our bar manager, Rafal (or Ralph) is who you were referring to, I will ensure that he hears of your comments.
I do agree with you that the Championship Course really is a tough test of golf, great course especially in the sunshine. It can sometimes be a slow round due to the difficulty of the course but hopefully this did not detract too much from your stay.

Look forward to seeing you here again

Many Thanks

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We visited the Dartmouth Golf and Country Club during the May bank holiday weekend and we had a great time. It has everything you need for a break away. The rooms are lovely, very good size, clean with coffee/tea making facilities, towel heater in the bathroom and the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep. The golf course is amazing I do not play golf but my partner did on two days and he said it’s a very good challenging course in an amazing condition. The half way hut was a great success with tasty snacks and cold drinks. Breakfast buffet was great. Selection of cereals, jam/conserves, yogurts, together with hot breakfast options were available. You must try the local sausages they were really good and had them every single morning! The bar area is good there enough spaces for everyone great selection of drinks and they have a lovely patio outside which had the sun all day long! We were not planning to eat at the restaurant but everyone we talked seemed really pleased with the food so we gave it a go and we were not disappointing. We tried their grill menu and had the cajun chicken burger and the homemade spicy beef chilli and they were really tasty. There is a great wine selections and the prices are very reasonable. Great value for money. While my partner was playing golf I had some spa treatments. I was very pleased I booked prior to arriving as they are very popular. I had the ionithermie facial and the ultimate detox and I was very pleased very relaxing treatments and the staff were amazing.
I can’t think of anything negative for this place, the staff are lovely and go the extra mile to help, the whole place is really clean and tidy with very very reasonable prices.
Thank you for making our stay special we will be definitely coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304 and was fab which is on the same level with the Bar and Restaurant. We actuall...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DGCC, Sales and Marketing Manager at BEST WESTERN The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Susie1220,

Thank you so much for leaving such positive comments about your stay, it really is brilliant to hear when people have a great time when they come and stay with us.
It is also great to see that you sampled all aspects of the resort and found each area to your liking, even the halfway hut which is a new addition for Summer 2013.

I really do hope that you come back to visit us again.

Many Thanks

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My friend and I spent a lovely spa day at the Dartmouth Country Club. The facilities were better than we expected. The swimming pool was a good size, the jacuzzi and sauna were nice and the gym was full of the latest equipment. Everything in the spa was very clean and the staff were helpful.
The therapy treatment we had, massage/facial 45 minutes,was superb, my therapist was Molly and she was brilliant, one of the best treatments I have had!

Included in the Spa Day was a welcome tea or coffee in the bistro and lunch in the bistro. I have to say this was the only bit that let the day down. Staff in the bistro didn't seem to know that we could have a 'welcome coffee' which made us feel a bit awkward. Also booking our lunch was a bit tricky, the staff didn't know what we could have, on the advert it says a buffet but there was no buffet. The two course lunch we did have, turned out to be very nice, however was missing the complementary bread basket that those around us were all given! We did come away from the Bistro feeling a bit 'second class' but it didn't spoil our day!

The golf course looked lovely and well maintained and made for a lovely view from the spa and bistro, I am unqualified to add any more comments on the golf course!

I would book a spa day here again, it was a great day and the price was good too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Lizandava,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments on your spa day with us, I am very glad you enjoyed it. It is great to hear that you had such a good experience with Molly and that you found your treatment superb!
I must apologise for the confusion you experienced in the bar and must assure you that this is definitely an exception rather than the norm. I am pleased however that you enjoyed your meal and your overall day here with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy another day here with us.

Sutton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The rooms and corridors are tired looking and the bar /wasting area is very 80s almost like a Harvester for the golfing fraternity. The breakfast was ok but would not recommend the evening meal although as this hotel is in the middle of nowhere it might be your only option.
The staff in reception are the main asset. Friendly and very helpful , suggesting places to go and things to do.
We didn't go for the golf it was a cheap deal so that we go see Devon so on that basis I would say it was a clean place to use as a base.
The golf course does look pretty good although not for those with mobility issues a buggy is a must.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the golf course we ended up overlooking the car park
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DGCC, Managing Director at BEST WESTERN The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Wendy P,

Many thanks for posting your review on trip advisor and for the kind comments regarding our staff who continue to “go the extra mile” to ensure all our guests receive outstanding service, and are indeed a great asset to the company.

I am sorry to learn that you found the decor of our bar and bistro very 80’s. Following a
£350,000 refurbishment three years ago, the style was one of bright and airy and created by an award winning interior designer, creating through flow, whilst affording an inviting bistro dining experience with view over the countryside. The location, which unlike Dartmouth, has ample parking, and is just 3 miles or a short taxi ride from the historic town is chosen by our guests for its rural setting, convenience, and great value for money, rather than cheap ! This coupled with extensive leisure facilities, offer visitors to Dartmouth a great alternative.

I am unsure by your comments as to whether you did try our “new menu” which offer an outstanding choose of fresh local produce including fresh local scallops, in fact only last week i was with our head chef at the Brixham fish market at 4am purchasing local caught fish for the menu, with over 25 differing chooses for your evening meal, all expertly prepared by a young and enthusiastic brigade of chefs. It’s a great pity if you did dine with us and the food was not to your liking, as the staff would have addressed the problem immediately had they been informed.

As you say a great base to explore the south Hams and a real must for foodies. I do hope you will come back again soon and please feel free to ask for me personally

Jamie Waugh Managing Director
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Just come back after two nights 3 rounds of golf the hotel and course are both very good room and bar area very clean and tidy all staff do that ex mile to please and help you out on the down side they need to pull up some that wear golf caps shoes and wet weather kit inside the club house itself we had no Qs on the first tee and no waiting around on the course that's a big plus that give ten min gaps on the championship course that nine hole Dartmouth course is still worth a round as as well keep up the good work Team DGC

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DGCC, Sales and Marketing Manager at BEST WESTERN The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi johnwhite18,

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your stay with us and am extremely glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay here with us. I must apologise for the lack of enforcement of caps in the club house, this is definitely an exception rather than the norm.
I do hope that this was only a blip on an otherwise enjoyable trip and I will be sure to pass on all your comments to the entire team.

Look forward to you visiting again soon

Bradley Stoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went to Woodlands Park to celebrate our two boy's birthdays and as always the Dartmouth Golf and Country Club provided the ideal place to stay. The friendly staff gave excellent service as they have on each of our three previous visits and ensure our time in Dartmouth is the perfect get away. The staff are always ready to engage my two sons with conversation and ready to help them in any way they can. The club has a very good selection of food that is of the highest quality and the boys love the swimming pool.

Room Tip: If staying for a couple of nights I have found the rooms are great but usually select one of their l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi NGM71,

I am really glad to hear that you had such a good time during your last visit and that you have been so see us so many times in the past.
It is really brilliant to hear that your two sons as well as you enjoyed your time here as we are doing everything we can to appeal to families as well as adults!

I really look forward to you coming and visiting again with your family.

Huw

Been to BEST WESTERN The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!