“Excellent hotel and golf course” 5 of 5 stars

Dartmouth Golf & Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blackawton TQ9 7DE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Blackawton
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent hotel and golf course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked with secret escape and got a great deal. Our room 102 on the ground floor was lovely. It was nice and big, clean and with a great bed. My dinner on the Sunday night was disappointing, but my wife enjoyed hers. Overall the staff were very friendly. The hotel has an indoor pool and spa as well as a spa centre.
My wife had a lovely massage, £40 and I had a great game of golf. Golfers if you are in the area, play this course!! £33 reduced by 25% for hotel guests.
We would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My partner and I booked in for the "beauty and lunch" spa day. We chose a one hour- full body massage and after completing a short health form, both therapist's really took interest in what we'd written and paid attention to tailoring the massage to those points.

The massage was heaven, it literally was top to toe. We chose to have the treatment in the same room which was a really nice experience. After one hour we were both so relaxed. My partner had an operation on his knee almost 10 years ago, and after the massage said that it was the best his knee had felt for a long time. I get very bad calf cramps and was very nervous of my legs even being touched it case it set the cramps off, but as discussed with the therapist she went very easy on them and, as with my partners experience, my calves felt much less tense and with more movement.

Our package included a light lunch. The lunch was okay, we chose the 'meat platter' which consisted of ham and mustard sandwiches, a salad and a chicken and vegetable kebab. It was nice simple food. The trio of desserts were lovely. The waiting staff were very attentive.

After lunch we went down to the spa, which was, as other reviewers have said, was a little disappointing. However having read these reviews before our visit, we were quite prepared.

The pool is nice, however there were only three loungers in total!!! The space around the pool is so small it wouldn't actually allow for any more chairs or seats anyway, so that was a big mistake when planning the area. The hot tub is nice, but felt like this was an after-thought as it is up some narrow stairs in the corner. My local swimming pool has two hot tubs, so I wouldn't have thought it too much to ask for two in a spa. The pool and spa do boast beautiful views which are a plus point. The changing rooms (all two of them!) are ridiculously small. As other reviews have mentioned, the floor was very wet in the ladies, so made it very hard to change. I don't understand how it could be so wet, given there was only about 4 people in the whole place!

In summary, despite the above, the price we paid £55 for a full hours massage, lunch and use of the 'spa' we felt was very good value (given that most of the massages were around £45 alone).
As we'd come prepared for the limited spa facilities, and even more limited space in the changing rooms, it really didn't impede on our experience. Will definitely return again next time we visit Dartmouth.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Crowthorne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We chose this venue (via Golfbreaks.com) for our annual golf-reunion and all 9 of us staying 2 nights had an enjoyable.
We were disappointed that all the greens had been hollow tined however and in particular that we were not advised in advance.
Also, the location of the Hotel in a valley meant mobile phone signal was weak to non-existent, but free Wi-Fi was available.
The quality and choice of food throughout was excellent, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The golf course is challenging and, apart from those greens, was in excellent condition.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I spent four nights here with my husband and baby. Having read a couple of reviews I was a bit apprehensive about the stay but for me it was fine. The bedrooms are just about the right size (we had a baby in a travel cot so more luggage than most) and it was just about ok. The bedrooms do get a little hot hence the fans but it didn't trouble us too much. The breakfasts and evening meals were of a good quality and there was sufficient choice. This is a good location being at the top of the road going to Dartmouth so plenty of parking and easy access. I didn't use the spa so can't comment as per other visitors. I would stay here again but do feel the price is a little high for the offering.

• Stayed May 2014
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A group of twenty golfers, myself included booked a two night stay at Dartmouth Golf Club which consisted of three rounds of golf,two breakfasts and one evening meal.We were lucky that the break we booked happened to be the best few days we have had weather wise for a long time.
The rooms were good and all the staff very helpful.A good choice of food is available and if you want to take a trip into Dartmouth its only a taxi ride away.
The course was in great condition and we all had a wonderful few days relaxing and enjoying the fine weather.You can use the pool and gym along with the sauna,steam room and jacuzzi if feel the need which gives that little extra to your visit.
A great place to stay and play golf and ffor us the added bonus of lovely weather.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Yateley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay here which was thoroughly enjoyable. My friend and I are not golfers so cannot comment on the quality of the course, except to say it is rather hilly but there was an abundance of buggies so don't let that put you off. We fancied getting away from it all for the week-end and picked this hotel due to its close proximity to Dartmouth and peaceful surroundings and it delivered on both of these.
A couple of minor issues (staying in room 109) a wobbly toilet seat and the noisiest, least effective extractor fan in the bathroom I have ever encountered.... oh yes and you will have to hunt for the hair dryer - located under the dresser BUT apart from that the place is really good. quiet and peaceful. Well maintained grounds easy access to Dartmouth. It is an ideal location for exploring this rather lovely part of Devon.
The hotel offers a very reasonable range of food and drinks. something to suit pretty much every taste. Breakfast at the hotel was great. The staff were happy to accommodate any requests for items that they were able to provide that were not on display (veggie sausages one day for me and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs the other). All the staff were warm and friendly and looked like they enjoyed working there. The reception team were well informed and happy to provide information on walks, and recommend places to eat. We used the park and ride as parking in the town is limited. A 5 mins bus trip down the hill and we didn't have to wait more than 5-10mins for a bus. The coastal walk to Little Dartmouth is a little challenging but well worth the effort but if you fancy something easier the Diamond Jubilee Walk was very pleasant too. We did eat in a very nice tapas place in Dartmouth called Browns. The food all home cooked, and delicious - would really recommend it but you do need to enjoy garlic! We fancied fish the second evening and visited "The Start Inn" at Slapton Sands. The food was good but the pub itself rather chaotic..You have to queue to place a food order in one part of the pub and queue in another to buy a drink, then do the same thing again when you come to pay....seemed to be quite hard work and not the nice quiet evening meal we had anticipated. But the range of fish on offer was impressive, by crab salad was very good and my friend enjoyed a beautifully cooked lemon sole, so as long as you don't mind the bun fight feel, you will enjoy your dinner and afterwards an enjoyable walk along the seafront as it is right by the sea.
So yes really enjoyed out week-end and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in 109. There was no view. Ask for a room that looks out over the golf course.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The room had the heater switched off when I stayed there in January and I went to complain to the receptionist, who looked at me like I had just spit on her. She asked if I could "switched it on" !! absolute cheek, it was freezing could they not have pre warmed the room a little? I spoke to the room attendant on the way back and she switched the old 1970's wall heater on after about 6 minutes of tinkering with it, the LED light didn't switch on and the room took hours to warm up. As I checked out the receptionist again when I mentioned the heat of the room asked if I could have not just switched on the heater!? Staff are pretty arrogant.. the place has had recent small improvements but not the heating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Dartmouth Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!