“A very poor meal!” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worksop
“A very poor meal!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were staying nearby and booked the table in The Snug for a bar meal on 28 May. We were advised that food was not served until 6.30 so duly booked the table for this time. When we arrived we found that the table was ours until 8.00 pm which was fine as we expected to be finished by then. One of our party of seven went to the bar to order at 6.30 to be informed that did we realise that 10 orders had been taken before us. We explained that we had booked and were told that food was served from 6.30. No one informed us that you could order in advance of this! When I arrived I set up a tab at the bar. My son went to the bar to order drinks at 7.00pm. He came back and informed me that the bar staff needed to see my credit card. I went to the bar and was told that they would need to put my credit card in the till. Mindful of the advice about card cloning I informed them that I was not prepared to put my card in the till. I was then informed that the pub was really busy and they were concerned that I may leave without paying as this had happened before. This incensed me. I am expected to trust them with my credit card against all advice, but they are not prepared to trust me! I told them that I would not be leaving without paying and that they could not have my card. At 7.30 the meal arrived. We decided not to have a dessert because the next party would be arriving at 8.00 pm and the meal had been so stressful that we did not want to be involved in any more conflict. We were sat opposite the kitchen door. It appeared the Staff serving were worried about presenting new orders for the chef and were asking each other to take them in. Everything was rushed and staff were generally inefficient. The lack of staff on a busy evening meant that it took me 15 minutes queuing at the bar to finally pay my bill. Just because you are in a beautiful location and have a lovely pub particularly if you are only having a drink does not mean you should take for granted occasional holiday makers and expect that they will put up with poor and disrespectful service.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for all your valued comments, we have learnt a lot from them and will take steps to ensure that all the staff are singing from the same hymn sheet.
We do appreciate your comments and are sorry that you had a stressful evening.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Something of a curate's egg of a place this. Fantastic position. Amiable, unpretentious staff. Good beers. The breakfast, however, is like stepping back in time. Stewed prunes. Tinned grapefruit segments. Tupperware boxes full of cereal. The kitchen also seems rather too fond of its microwave, hence partly cold fish pie and anaemic scrambled egg! None of which detracts from the location and the eccentrically charming rooms overlooking a sun which, in high summer, sinks smack into the bay.....

• Stayed June 2013
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
OK, we put our hands up, you are quite right, we do need to update our breakfast service! Thank you for kick up the bum!
We are really pleased that everything else was good and hope to see you again soon.
suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were staying in a cottage in Port Gaverne for the week, and very much enjoyed our visits to this lovely pub, just a few minutes stroll away. My husband particularly enjoyed the Betty Stoggs, and for me a shandy with Trelawney bitter. There were some lovely sunny evenings, and it was great sitting outside and watching the sun go down over the sea.

One night the Boscastle Buoys sang and it was such a great atmosphere! The place was packed. All collections for charity. The food was reasonable and delicious. It seems to be a real pub for the locals and dogs, and also welcomes visitors. It really made our holiday, coming home after a long day sightseeing, and then popping over for a drink.

ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, you obviously had a great time in Port Gaverne! Do come back and see us soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Hotel check-in went smoothly. Lots of narrow stairways leading up to our room. The room was large with a sitting area. You can see a sliver of the ocean. Description indicated short walk to Port Isaac (Doc Martin town) but failed to mention it is uphill (just a caution). Bathroom layout is a little cramped and the shower is really hand-held nozzle for tub. Could not keep some windows open due to a fan or generator noise on one side. Breakfast was excellent with fresh kippered herring and very pleasant servers. Pub was too hot so we ordered sandwiches which were delivered to our room. Limited parking was across the road. Seems over-priced for the location and quality of accommodations. Port Isaac accommodations would have been a better choice in terms of access.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for review and your comments. We are pleased that you had a good time in Cornwall and enjoyed the area. Port Isaac is a beautiful village and the Doc Martin series has made it very popular.
We hope that you will recommend us to your friends and that you will come back to Cornwall.
Sutton, Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

On looking at the website prior to booking our stay, I was expecting something a little more upmarket. That's not to say it was terrible, it's just that the website looks very professional and consequently leads you to think of grander things.
The room we stayed in was beautifully furnished with a comfortable bed and both the bedroom and ensuite were very clean. The view however was disappointing, we were at the back of the hotel and had either a fence panel or part of the roof to look at.
There were dirty cups left from the previous occupants, but these were quickly replaced with clean once taken back to Reception.
Our room wasn't able to receive wi-fi which was a shame, but it was available if we sat in the bar.
We ate in the bar and the restaurant and the food was very good, good sized portions and hot. However it was a little different at breakfast time when the plates were small and food lukewarm. My husband had poached eggs which could have been cooked for a little longer, hence not so watery and hotter.
As for location, the hotel has a small shingly cove just outside and is not far from Port Isaac but involves a short walk up a very steep hill, once there you can find a few more restaurants, art/craft places and coffee shop.
There are no other shops close to the hotel, but they do have some chocolate behind the bar which is always handy :)
(I would like to point out that there is no swimming pool or fitness centre at this hotel, unfortunately I cannot "click off" the grading of terrible - since this is definitely not the case!)

ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your honest review. We do appreciate comments both positive and negative as it helps us to better our service. Our apologies for the dirty cups, no excuses, obviously missed by the housekeeping girls. I am suprised that you could not get wifi as we have just had the whole system boosted, I will look into this and get the wifi gremlins out again to see if they can make the signal stronger.
Hopefully you will come back and stay again and these faults will of been ironed out.
Thruxton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The atmosphere of this hotel is brilliant, so very friendly and relaxing and the staff are very accomodating as is the owner. We had to move rooms as the occupant above our room paced up and down all night - a nightmare but we were moved with no trouble or fuss into a very nice room at the back with a balcony (recommend room 18). Food is good at the bar (we did not eat in the restaurant) and the Doombar was very well kept. If anything is at fault don't be afraid to ask as I mentioned my scrambled egg was cold one morning the next time Hot - hot -hot!! Would recommend to anyone except people that find stairs difficult as there are a lot of them and they are steep. Great place

Room Tip: Rooms at the back 18-20 are quiet and have shared balcony