My wife and I stayed at the hotel 18-22 May 2009 to celebrate my birthday
Our room was available at 2 pm as promised in the hotel blurb. We had asked for a room on a high floor and were given a family room on the 3rd floor with a lovely sea view. It had a bathroom with a separate shower, a bedroom and a little sitting room with a double sofa bed and winged armchair. Perfect so far. Well not quite - it was so hot! We switched off the radiators and opened the windows, still too hot!
We went to reception explained the problem. The receptionist was very understanding and offered us a choice of rooms on floor 2. We took the keys and checked the rooms, nice but still too warm and a lot smaller. When we returned to reception the receptionist tried again and because all of the sea view rooms have fab views we said we’d be happy on the ground floor. At this point a cheerful Irish chap joined us and offered to show us the rooms. We chose a beautiful room with very high ceilings and a real sense of airiness. Beautiful. Excellent recovery by all concerned.
The cheerful and helpful Irish chap turned out to be Seamus Coen - the Hotel Manager. What a switched on and focussed yet considerate man he is. We saw him interact with many guests and he is a natural, making everybody feel welcome and valued. We also saw him interacting with his team, He runs a tight ship whilst being well respected.
Some of the staff whose names we managed to get and we thought were real assets to the Hotel are Agnes, William, Kate, Maddy and of course Seamus. Sorry to those whose name we didn’t get!
Great short walk to North Berwick through a good residential area.
Very close to railway station (30 minutes to Edinburgh, £5.60 return).
Short walk across golf course to beach walks.
Short drive to castles and countryside.
Lovely reception rooms with great views.
Many different types of room available to suit many tastes and budgets. If you don’t like yours then at least give the staff the chance to correct it for you and stop whingeing.
Great breakfast - as already described in previous posts, Stornoway black pudding is the best.
Great dinner - £35 for 3 courses and a lovely experience in a gorgeous setting with great staff.
Well equipped gym
Lovely indoor pool
5 ‘heat rooms’ the aromatherapy grotto, steam room, bio sauna, hot rock sauna and the ice room!!!
Add in the massage shower and the moods shower (fragrance, deluge and cold!).
Finish off with a Jacuzzi that is both indoors and outside - Brilliant.
NB. a little bit of maintenance work needed around Jacuzzi tiling. But it still works well.
If you are looking for rooms that you’d find in a newly built modern hotel then stay away. The refurbishment has been tastefully done but this is a grand old lady and she creaks in a few places. If you want to stay in a hotel that is charming, quirky and peaceful and in a great location to explore East Lothian then this is the place to go. Give Seamus and his team the chance to look after you. You won’t regret it.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Marine Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Marine Hotel North Berwick
- Macdonald Marine Hotel
- Hotel Macdonald Marine
- Berwick Hotel Marine North
- Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa North Berwick, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This new-look Hotel is now a favourite retreat for anyone seeking indulgence. The Grade II listed Victorian gem is located on Edinburgh's Golfing Coastline and overlooks the 16th hole of the North Berwick champioship course as well as the Firth of Forth and Bass Rock. An award winning Spa and 2AA rosette Craigleith restaurant and with breath-taking views make this a favourite place in the world for many. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.