“Posh fish & chips” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Posh fish & chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I lunched here on a lovely sunny September days. It was a bit blowy but that didn't stop us enjoying some wonderful hake & chips from the Lobster Shack. It's a great little place - highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great Expereince”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a great experience it was to be sitting overlooking the harbour and have served up in a box a range of fresh local fish, including a delicious lobster, with the standard crunchy chips. Quite unique...we will be back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“The perfect food in the perfect setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We visited the Lobster Shack during North Berwick's Fringe by the Sea festival in August. It's situated at the harbour and on that busy Friday night there were many folks queuing up to enjoy a bit of seafood by the sea!

Hubby and I both plumped for the half lobster and chips. The order took about 30 minutes which felt like forever when we had a show to go see afterwards, but when we opened up those brown takeaway boxes and saw what was inside, we knew we were in for a treat.

The lobster meat was beautifully tender and sweet with a chargrilled flavour. The chunky chips that accompanied it still had the skins on (yum) and were perfectly seasoned. We were also given a fresh side salad with a delicate vinegarette.

There can be no better thing than sitting next to the sea in the warm evening sunshine chowing down on fresh lobster. And this one really lived up to expectations. My only criticism is the half lobster didn't contain much meat, so my advice is go the whole hog and order a whole lobster per person.

Fantastic - a real and rare treat, and one not to be missed.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buckingham
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Is there anything better than Lobster & Chips on a sunny Sunday in North Berwick? I think not. Go there, enjoy and go back - even if it's raining. Location to die for. Atmosphere is brill and the food is just as it ought to be. Brill.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Waste Of Time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I have just visited this place for the third time, and we've yet to taste the food. The first couple of times it was closed. However because it was such a nice day we decided to take the hour long journey from the city and enjoy some fresh seafood, with our fingers crossed it wouldn't be closed again. We arrived just after 2pm and were happy to see it open for business. My wife grabbed a table and I went to order. Despite three people milling behind behind the counter, I waited a full five minutes before I was approached. I asked what the fresh fish of the day was, and was told it was sole. Just as I was about to place my order, the same genius said they had run out of food. At 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon you can imagine my surprise, amazement even. He then told me there would be a twenty minute delay while they waited for more food to be delivered. Thinking this wasn't too bad after all, I asked him if I returned in half an hour would he have any food by then, bearing in mind he had said twenty minutes. Probably not says he but there was a fish and chip shop close by, which left me puzzled and not very hopeful that we would actually get fed, and decided to leave.
Of the three staff behind the counter, one was making fish cakes with his uncovered hands, and something that had been crumbed was lying on a tray, again uncovered. The third of the trio was doing his best to avoid eye contact, and the premises although quite new appeared not very clean and about as tired as the chips which had been abandoned on the tables.
Having read the reviews about this little shack here on trip advisor, it was very disappointing, and I suspect the proprietors may have added a few reviews of their own. Definitely won't be making a fourth visit !!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere