“Good food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Thetford
Cuisines: Zhejiang
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Dolphin Inn is a gorgeous 17th century building, located in the historic, heart of Thetford town centre. After a major refurbishment this beautiful Grade 2 building has been brought back to life. With views of the ancient, castle hill and within a stone’s throw from the famous Nunn’s Bridges the Dolphin Inn offers a friendly, relaxed and a professional atmosphere to enjoy our fine wines, real ales and our outstanding food.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

While working in nearby brandon my wife and I were looking for somewhere to eat and came across the dolphin I know food is a personal thing but we both thought the food was excellent ( the best syrup sponge I have had anywhere) the staff were very good and you can see the chef working in the kitchen on a television over the bar our personal experience was excellent will go again soon it will be worth the drive from southend

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Thetford, United Kingdom
“It takes a certain skill to make lamb shank tough!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I live in Thetford and have had mixed reports about the Dolphin so we went with friends to try it out. It proved to be one of the most expensive total disasters I have ever experienced. I had prawns as a starter which had to go back as they were mushy inside, I was concerned for my health if nothing more. I then had a rib-eye steak which was not cheap and in addition you have to pay for anything else ie fries, it was terrible and very poor quality. One of the party had lamb shank which was tough and was served with heavy brown gravy (note I don't use the term 'sauce') . To be fair the ribs were apparently quite nice according to my good lady. There are various restaurants in our area, some around the same price but for that you get a fine dining experience, if you live here you know which ones they are. Would I ever go back to the Dolphin - NO, would I ever recommend the. Dolphin - tou guessed it NO NO NO.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Enjoyable lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Headed here after a few good reviews from people around the area, the waitress who placed us was polite throughout informative and very helpful!! We ordered drinks through a Scottish waitress which we had 2 soft drinks which she somewhat reluctantly wanted to serve us despite it being lunch time (not everyone always drinks alcohol)
The food menu was informative and I thought it was a great idea to be able to choose the side you wished to have!! I ordered the sirloin which was perfectly cooked the sweet potato wedges were massive with 3 being the right amount though the price was quite high for the steak it was good and the service from ordering to the table delivery couldn't be faulted!! My girlfriend had the soup of the day (carrot and coriander) which she thought was lovely though it was served with warm shop bought rolls instead of ciabatta bread as stated in the menu!! Food was well presented and would recommend for others!!

“unbelievable!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my family probably eat here every week either dinner or breakfast and have been served by one of the couple of Scottish waitresses that work there most of the time. I feel I must say how lovely all the staff are at the dolphin, they are friendly, professional and always willing to go the extra mile. The food is always excellent and they always always check that our steaks are cooked the way we want and on one occasion one in our party felt their steak was over done and it was taken away by the Scottish waitress and replaced. I find the comments made by a previous reviewer unbelievable. But if they prefer pie and mash that possibly says it all.

Visited May 2014
Thetford, United Kingdom
“like a steak to the heart”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I came to eat at your restaurant at the dolphin inn, thetford with my partner to celebrate our anniversary only to have an unpleasant experience with the food, the fillet steak (large) was tiny and chewy and i had the lamb steak which was supposed to be medium rare and was well done and bland like chicken, the wine was good but the scottish waitress was very unpleasant and no replacement meal or refund was offered, i am disgusted as you had been recommended to us however i will not be recommending you and i had a better rump steak at wetherspoons for half the price. The other waitresses were very apologetic and kind but i will not be eating here again. your pie and mash shop was much better place to eat and the food was definitely better..i spent nearly £70 on this occasion which could have been better spent elsewhere.

• Visited May 2014