“The best worse place ever to stay !!!” 1 of 5 stars

Tudor Rose
St. Nicholas Place, King's Lynn PE30 1LR, England   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in King's Lynn
Norwich
“The best worse place ever to stay !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Well it's a run down hotel !!! Years ago when I lived in Lynn it was the place to eat drink and stay over a night , now it's run by two kids " male I think " not a clue how to welcome you !!! The dress sence was jean s dirty t shirts , not a good impression , room was ok !!! But the noise , the bar , star wars come in to mind !!!! Every guest wanted a refund in the morning !!! The manager was in bed so the cleaner gave the refunds ... So bloody funny . If you want to enjoy the worse hotel . Bar this is the one ,,,,,, ???

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Tudor for 3 nights whilst working in Kings Lynn. My Room was basic but comfortable, Didn't have the Breakfast option so unable to comment on that particular side of things.
During out stay there was a major upset to the water supply in kings lynn this was no fault of the hotel but the owners did all they could to minimise disruption to us.
There was also an incident of my bed collapsing however it was dealt with straight away just one of those things.
The owners helpfully helped me replace some missed medications for which I was very greatful. they also took delivery of a parcel for me whilst I was out.
Bathroom fan was very noisy, The WIFI could do with a bit of a boost towards the rooms.
other than that my stay was comfy and the room had all the facilitys Drinks, TV En-Suit shower room. I've read some of the reviews and 1 or 2 are perhaps a little unkind I think the owners are making changes in the right direction. In the bar we swapped some footy banter and it was a laugh, When your away from home alot it can mean alot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Armagh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Not bad, I arrived last night and got a single room £46 incl breakfast. It was chilly but a radiator was put on. You can buy wine at the bar downstairs if it is late and have a drink in your room. I was awakened at 6am by a guy in the adjacent room so thin walls, I have ear plugs so not a major problem. Food? OK, I had a nice breakfast in a clean dining room and lots of juice, coffee.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Tudor Rose is excellent value for money. The room was very well kept and was of a very high quality. The family who run the hotel were extremely friendly and welcoming throughout our entire stay. Tudor Rose also has a very interesting history and is located right by the town centre.

I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others visiting King's Lynn!

• Stayed August 2012
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Tudor Rose along with 3 close friends while travelling across the country. I thought it was a lovely little place, the beds were comfy especially the duvet. The room had a tv with all the freeview channels, which were fine to watch before we headed out, the tv making facility was also nice when getting in late at night.

The owners young son was very helpful, told us where to go and is full of great anecdotes behind the bar. He even walked us to a cafe on the saturday morning as we were unsure where we were going, and gave us a tour of the historic building on the way in.

Great value, great place, great staff. Will go again.

Room Tip: Choose the haunted room 7 ;)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My first review, and of a place I stayed in exactly a year ago, and still feel that travellers should be warned to stay away. If I hadn't already tried various other hotels and bed and breakfasts I would have done too, because the room was more than I wanted to pay. I'm used to staying in budget accommodation - I'd rather spend more on meals out and visiting places rather than on the place I sleep, but usually you are pleasantly surprised by the quality, cleanliness and friendliness of staff in even cheaper bed and breakfasts, it's usually an indication that the rooms might want updating or the bathrooms are squeezed in rather than being luxurious.

Not so the Tudor Rose. I'd agree with most of the other reviewers - the bedding was clean but the room hadn't had a good clean for a while - the lamp was broken and furniture a mish-mash of cheap outdated pieces probably bought second hand - I could have lived with that, but the service was the rudest I'd ever come across anywhere, and breakfast the piece de la resistance of poor service. Since most other reviewers fled without experiencing it, I'll elaborate.

I'd been told that breakfast was served until 9am - it was a weekday, but I was on a mini-holiday enjoying Norfolk, so didn't want to get up too early. At 8.45am, I got a bang on my door and a voice shouted 'Do you want breakfast?' I said yes, but I was told they were serving until 9am, to which the reply was 'Well it's nearly 9". I made my way to the breakfast room which was gloomy and unclean with no effort having been made in setting out the breakfast table place. The young woman (owner of the voice outside my door, I think) dressed in jeans, trainers and looking generally scruffy/pissed off then asked if I wanted a cooked breakfast, I said yes, and could I have coffee? She asked if I took sugar (there was none on the table) and I said yes. There wasn't much of a selection of cereals/juices anything else - I wasn't offered toast, but think I had a glass of orange juice while I waited. She came back in with coffee - I asked for some sugar - she said 'I've already put it in' and sure enough my mug of instant coffee had about two/three spoons of sugar in (she hadn't asked how many I took). Following a couple of pings of a microwave she returned with a cooked breakfast - clearly cooked and plated about an hour previously and then microwaved - judging by the ring round the edge of the baked beans. I tried the sausage (cheap) and a couple of other bits, then decided after considering the state of the rest of the place, I really couldn't face it, retreated to my room, packed and escaped.

It really did feel like it was a hostel for people being housed by the DWP (former DSS) or it might suit a gang of contractors who need a cheap place to stay in the centre and are not bothered about quality - but if so, it should be charging a lot less. I stayed in a lovely Bed and Breakfast elsewhere in King's Lynn for a lot less three nights before and had a great breakfast. I hope it has improved (I stayed Oct 2011) because it only takes one poor experience to put off a visitor to the town - which is an absolute gem and I'd have spent longer in, if I could have found some more reasonable budget B&Bs/hotels.

Tudor Rose, it's time you pulled your finger out and stopped doing the town a disservice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a weekend recently, and we found the hotel to be informal and friendly, very good value for money. It is ideally located in the centre, the car park is directly opposite and at £1 per night it's hardly expensive. Service was friendly, the breakfast was very good. I read other negative reviews here and all I can say is that I am glad I ignored them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tudor Rose? Share your experiences!