“Excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel

You added The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel to your Saves list
The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 - 6 Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 1JS, England   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in King's Lynn
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I returned yesterday from a 2 night break at the hotel. Upon arrival we parked in the hotel car park and once in the hotel were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. this was to be the case for the whole stay. Our room was well appointed and clean with a good en suite bathroom.
The building occupies an imposing position on the market square and is well positioned for walking around Kings Lynn and enjoying the shops, pubs and restaurants.
The bar inside the hotel provided a good choice of wine and an excellent pint of Adnams Broadside. We ate at the hotel restaurant on both nights and were very impressed with the helpfulness and quality of service which was matched by the delicious, well presented food that was the best that we have had for a very long time.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly whilst not being intrusive.
We had a wonderful stay at the hotel and will definely be back. Well done to all.

Room Tip: We stayed in the original part of the building which has great character.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
David W, General Manager at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guy R

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. It was lovely to read your comments, in particular, regarding the staff and they too thank you for these.

I was also delighted to read that you had enjoyed the food, your room and the bar with its selection of real ales.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

David Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We got a special deal to stay at the hotel for one night with dinner and breakfast included. Right away we were impressed by the overall standard of decoration and furnishing inside. Our room was standard room but spacious, spotless, modern and comfortable. We have never stayed in such a lovely hotel room before. Although the hotel is not geared towards families the staff were incredibly helpful and went out of their way to ensure our 18 month old daughter's needs were met. The hotel dining room is lovely, food very very good. Service slightly slow although it was a very busy Saturday night. Breakfast again very good. Cream tea was amazing. Scones to die for. All in all I cannot praise this hotel and it's staff highly enough. Definitely will return in the future and recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the bar as we have a toddler and our room was very quiet. We all slept...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
David W, General Manager at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear 321Clare

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us, and that we were able to cater for your daughters needs as well.

Your comments are very gratefully received, and I have taken the liberty of sharing them with the team who also thank you for your delightful review.

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable time.

My very best wishes to you and your family.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here for one night. The reception was very good, we were allocated rooms 21/23 .These rooms are situated on the second floor and you have to climb 54 stairs no lift, although the lady in reception offered to help us with the suitcase . Lovely stairs very old I believe they were the original ones dating back a few hundred years. Good climb. The room (23) was very nicely decorated and roomy, although very warm and that was with the radiators off and the window open. Room 21 was smaller and the toilet cubicle in the bathroom very narrow, so if you are on the large size you might have difficulty in using this toilet.The hotel is well situated with an ample car park. If you manage to get a room in the newer part of the building, there is a lift to take you up to your room. We had a meal in the restaurant, very well presented and very good service by Graham in the restaurant and also from the young man in the bar.The only disappointment was at breakfast with my poached eggs although I asked for them runny I got effectively hard boiled eggs.We would recommend this hotel and most definitely on our next visit we will stay here!

Room Tip: If you can't go up the stairs try to get a room on the new building that has a lift!
Dear TITOsudbury

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you found the staff to be helpful and that they offered good service.

Please accept my apologies that your egg was not cooked to your liking at breakfast, but my gratitude for your comments regarding your dinner in Turners restaurant.

I hope to welcome you back soon where I am sure you will enjoy the hotel once more.

My very best wishes.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed here for a night while on business midweek, nice room, reasonably quiet and very good breakfast.
Didn't get to eat at the hotel in the evening as was a little out of my price range and there is a Wetherspoons right next door with good value food and good beer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wooler

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you liked our rooms and breakfast.

Whilst our Turners restaurant offers a 3 course dinner for £25.00 per person, we also offer our guests (who would rather enjoy a more casual experience) an alternative lounge and room service menu with equally good dishes at a much lower price, and I am sorry if you were not made aware of this during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a lovely old building in a very nice location, just off a large square in King's Lynn with some nice old building in the area. It is an upmarket hotel, very nice furnishings, friendly and helpful staff, very good service.
Room was very small, but clean and everything worked. Bed was very small to such an extent that it was a little uncomfortable, but still managed to get my leg over. Well, I guess I might have dreamt it!!
Room was very warm even though it was not particular hot outside, could not get it cool and no air conditioning. This also applied to the breakfast room, which was so hot as to be uncomfortable and made me rush my breakfast.
There is a small car park at the rear of the hotel, a real plus.
There is not a lift in the section we stayed in, could be an issue.
Would we stay here again? Possibly, depending upon the rate and time of year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear woggsy

Thank you for posting a positive review of our hotel on trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay even though you felt the bed was on the small side.

I am pleased to report that breakfast has now been relocated to our front restaurant which is a lot lighter and cooler, so should be more comfortable in the future.

Whilst there is no lift in the old part of the building, the lift that we have enables you to access the old part by a link corridor on each floor.

I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Kings Lynn.

Best regards

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were here for one night only and were just using the hotel as a base but we were impressed at the quality of our double room. Very clean and well appointed room with a good quality bathroom. Without exception all of the staff we met were polite and friendly. We enjoyed a three course meal and wine in the restaurant and were very impressed at the quality of the food and presentation. The hotel is well located for the town and local attractions. There is sparking which was limited due to a wedding but overnight parking in the public square is only £1.00. Hard to fault although a gym would have been nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
David W, General Manager at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear P C

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It was lovely to read your comments regarding our staff as it is they who make the real difference to our guest enjoyment. It was also lovely to read your comments about the food, as our Head Chef Shane and his team are always creating new dishes and experimenting with local ingredients to make innovative dishes.

I hope you will visit us again soon at the Dukes Head Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting a family wedding. I was arriving early so pre-arranged an early check-in, which was possible because the room was available.

I had a small double room with a comfy bed which was clean and modern. The bathroom was meticulously cleaned - the housekeepers do a very good job here, the toiletries were nice, but the shower pressure could be a bit stronger for my liking (minor point).

The staff throughout the stay, from reception, to the wedding, right the way through to breakfast were professional and helpful.

At the wedding the food was of a good standard. I would have liked a slightly larger variety of beers (eg some IPA's), but I guess it's not a 'traditional bar', and there were other drinks to be had.

Breakfast was excellent - there was a good choice of cooked breakfast items, and cereals - they don't scrimp on quality, and the sausages were very nice.

All in all, I had a very pleasant stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear travellernick121

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us when attending a wedding, and that you found the hotel, its staff and facilities to be of a very high standard.

I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable time.

My very best wishes

David Williams

Been to The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!