“Lovely hotel but what disappointing staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel

You added The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel to your Saves list
The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 - 6 Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 1JS, England   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in King's Lynn
London
“Lovely hotel but what disappointing staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked to stay here for 2 nights at the end of April. Our room was very nice, but the water was only tepid. I advised reception and although they knew of no problem, We were moved to a better room. However, the water here was no warmer. The next morning there was no water at all in the hotel. Not the hotel's fault I realize. But what annoyed me was the fact that no bottled water was made available ( despite the Manager saying she would take care of it ) and no plans were made to allow the guests to shower at any nearby hotel. I've been in hotels in Mexico and Puerto Rico in hurricanes that had better organization, and staff who seemed to care. Although I did not expect the staff to fix the water problem, I do think they could have done more to remedy it. Late in the afternoon we were moved to another hotel without any discussion as to where we could go. Unfortunately it is of a much lower standard, so I feel somewhat disgruntled as there was no offer of any refund or future discount.

• Stayed April 2013
David W, General Manager at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear WestHamfan10

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, and please accept my sincerest apologies that the hotel suffered a water supply failure during your stay.

I was pleased to read that you liked our rooms, and I am sure that you would have fully enjoyed your stay should there have not been a water problem on Sunday morning.

As the issue occurred on Sunday morning, other hotels in the area did not have any rooms available for us to use until the afternoon, as they had their own guests using their bedrooms at this time and were not departing until 11 am, these rooms then needed to be serviced ready for any new guests. As for bottled water I had instructed my team to supply bottled water to any guest which required this, so again I am sorry if you were not offered this service.

Given the severity of the situation, we quickly secured accommodation in other properties as close to us as possible in order to avoid further inconvenience to our guests, and this was also in some part down to limited availability of other hotels in the area.

It was not our intension to spoil anybody's visit, but as you say this was an incident completely beyond our control, and I was pleased that we were able to accommodate all of our guests at other hotels so that at least had somewhere to stay.

I would be more than happy to speak with you personally should you wish and would kindly ask you to contact me at the hotel.

My very best wishes to you.

David Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in April. The staff were polite and helpful. Food in the restaurant was average and the service was a bit slow due to the amount of activities that weekend. The room was nice and comfortable. Overall quite nice.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Martin R

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, I was delighted to read that you felt the staff were polite and helpful and that you also liked our rooms.

As for food and service, we are currently in the process of changing our menus which will be available in the next few weeks, and I am sure that when you return you will enjoy the restaurant experience much more.

My very best wishes

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The accommodation was excellent value in comparison to some hotels we have stayed at recently, in fact it really is value for money.
We want to thank each and every staff member, they are all a credit to the themselves and the hotel, really impressive. So good was the service that we think, we received better treatment than we receive at any Waitrose and John Lewis, now that is saying something as we love those stores.

The lady on reception yesterday when we booked out made the comment that the staff members all got on, laughed and pulled together. Well we have to say it shows, because you treat your guests equally as well. WELL DONE to all of you.

We will be returning for another stay and, when we have moved to the area will be visiting regularly

Room Tip: Get there early, purely to get a car parking space as places are limited - well they would be in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David W, General Manager at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Richard E

How lovely it was to read your excellent review of our beautiful hotel, and thank you so much for posting it on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read your marvellous comments regarding my team, I am so proud of them all, as it is they who make a real difference to our guests experience, through genuine hospitality, hard work and long hours and for me it is a real delight that they have been recognised so much by you.

I am sincerely grateful for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

My very best wishes.

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We visited the hotel for a meal out and absolutely couldn't fault. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Julia Edwards on reception and the staff in the restaurant. The food was extremely good and reasonably priced. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and very welcoming. Would go again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are reasonably priced for what they are. All are well decorated. The higher priced roo...
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jordan R

Thank you for a glowing review of your meal experience here at the Dukes Head, I was very pleased to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your visit and that you felt the staff were friendly and helpful.

I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Julia on reception and all the staff in the restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break. It is a fabulous old building that has been refurbished to a high standard.

Rooms were excellent with modern decor and a clean and modern en suite bathroom - one of the best that I have seen for some time. Small downside was that the radiator didn't cope well with the size of the room (the overnight temperature outside was below freezing) but reception provided a small heater which did the job.

Breakfast was a well stocked buffet served in a different room to the main restaurant. We ate in the restaurant on one night and whilst ambiance was good the food was a little disappointing for a 4 star hotel. The bar area was very comfortable and they stocked two god real ales (Adnams & Broadside).

Overall good value for money and an enjoyable experience. Would stay again but eat elsewhere - the Bank House nearby was excellent and in another league!!

Dear davidvrussell

Thank you for posting a review of our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read your general comments regarding our bedrooms and bathrooms and how nice, modern and clean you found them.

As for your evening meal, I was indeed sorry to read that you felt that your dinner experience was disappointing, and that you opted to eat elsewhere.

As the newly appointed General Manager, I am delighted to inform you that a new menu has been written for our Gryffens restaurant as well as our lounge area and room service and as of next week we will be changing the menu in our Turners fine dining restaurant which will compete with what the Bank House is offering.

I hope you will return to stay with us and see our progress and perhaps enjoy a more memorable stay.

Kindest regards

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed one night only on a voucher experience and for the money it was quite good value, although I might hesitate to pay full price. We had room Number 1, a a classic double with a good rainfall shower over the bath, a large comfortable bed and a huge TV screen on the wall. It was the closest room to the pub next door and as we stayed on a Saturday night, this got jolly noisy as they turned up their music and the crowd got larger, and the noise kept us awake past midnight. Then someone decided to play Asian music in the room next door at about am. So bit tricky. Breakfast average for mass catering, with the head waiter misunderstanding our desire for leaf tea. We sent back the teabags and had coffee instead! But the choice was fair and we could have paid extra for a smarter cooked breakfast. We stuck to the Full English which was okay, but the tomatoes were burnt. The staff were a little non commital, although no unfriendly. The hotel is on Tuesday Market Square which has many historic and attractive buildings. We had tickets for Chas and Dave at the Cornmarket, which was great as it was directly opposite the hotel and it took us 30 seconds to get there. King's Lynn is tired, but has some fabulous architecture. We had a lovely walk in the sunshine after breakfast. All in all we would visit again.

Room Tip: Try one at the back away from the busy square.
Dear PhyllidaNorwich

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay and that you would come and visit us again in the future.

We are indeed a very popular venue for guests attending events at the Corn Exchange which is, as you say, only across the road, they have so much going on and there is something for everyone to go and see.

I was sorry to read that you had experienced a few issues with breakfast, but I am delighted to announce that I have now introduced a small selection of loose leaf tea for guests to enjoy as part of our new Gryffens restaurant menu which will have many old favourite dishes available.

I am sure that when you return you will see on-going improvements which will add to your overall enjoyment.

My very best wishes

Abingdon, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We enjoyed the stay here. The staff were friendly, everything was as expected. We stayed in the small rooms in the loft, which could use a wardrobe as there was no where to hang a suit etc. But otherwise the rooms were well furnished and we were happy.

The rooms upstairs feel quite seperate from the rest of the hotel, which gives great sleep quality!

Breakfast was good and plentiful, and there was tea, coffee and biscuits in the room.

We spotted they tried to bill us higher than agreed on the phone, but they happily reduced when we commented on it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear tungstenthedog

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry that there was nowhere to hang clothes in the room and I will look in to this issue and also I am sorry that there was an error on the bill but was delighted to read that it was resolved for you.

I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards#

David Williams

Been to The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!