“Ffolks arms poor food and very rude” 1 of 5 stars

Ffolkes Arms Hotel
Lynn Rd PE31, King's Lynn PE31 6BJ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in King's Lynn
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Ffolks arms poor food and very rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went in Dec for a family 90th birthday. Ordered food which took and hour for the starters which were not bad. The main meals however took another hour and not worth the wait !! The "Christmas dinner" was inedible with veg that was grey and so over cooked it was mush! The mashed potato was rancid and I do mean rancid !, The chips were Sooo bad with the other meals rancid and soaked in oil. When we complained the extremely rude manager said it was OUR fault for ordering off different menus making it too complicated for the chef???? He refused to acknowledge that the dinner was inedible and insisted it was all cooked fresh!!!! I am sorry to say this is obviously untrue and his level of service was appalling we will never ever be back and I will tell as many people as possible Not to go there. We where offered no apology and told to write to the owner who would back him to the hilt!! If indeed this is true then the owner needs to go in undercover and see for himself what his customers are getting including the instant coffee with plastic tubs of whitener!! Hello 1970's !! Enough said and enough time wasted on this awfull hotel Basil would have run it better!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hazel H, General Manager at Ffolkes Arms Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
It’s difficult to respond to this criticism when the Gentleman who paid the bill enjoyed his meal. We do on average around a thousand meals a week. We did in excess of ten thousand Xmas meals over the Christmas period. We do not microwave food, it’s all freshly purchased and delivered daily. We steam the vegetable and cook fresh to order. We do not buy in pre-cooked food it’s all made fresh on site, when its busy sometimes it takes a little longer. Please read other reviews on staff here, we try extremely hard to ensure people enjoy themselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I found this hotel disappointing. To reach the upper rooms there is a metal outside staircase - that I did not like. There is also a ground floor next to the car park.The rooms are quite small although did have an en-suite bathroom. Generally I just didn't feel comfortable here. evening meals are served from the bar and were adequate and reasonably price.
Breakfasts are ok and part self- service and part served by the waitress. The service was quite indifferent. I was left waiting while all of the male "workers" were served first and when the cooked breakfast arrived some it had not been cooked properly.
I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Last minute booking. Three of us on three motorbikes. We were late calling and managed to have a little 'deal'. We had a double room each. Our evening meal was plentiful if not exceptional, but was priced to suit so no complaints. We decided to wait for breakfast before making a decision to return for a second night.
Breakfast was good, we had a run round Norfolk and came back!
The staff made our stay. It was great value, I would call again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

On arrival you are greeted with the welcoming 300 year old coaching inn frontage. Driving through to the courtyard there is ample parking and a wonderful garden. Inside the decor was of a typical country pub. Booking in was straightforward and the staff are friendly. Then there was the first sign of disappointment, our room was the other side of the courtyard in a chalet style complex. Metal stairs lead to the rooms. The room itself was comfortable with a clean modern bathroom. There was tea making facilities and a TV. We then came our second disappointment. We decided to have our evening meal there, which was overpriced and in my wife’s case, undercooked. In the morning, the full English breakfast kick started the day well, however there was some confusion with the stuff as to who was having what on their plates. The hotel is well worth an overnight stop for the money, but I definitely would not be eating there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Waltham Cross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A business trip took me close to Sandringham,and close by was Hillington and Ffolkes Arms.My room was warm and welcoming,clean and bright ,with an immaculate bathroom.The pub/hotel was welcoming with friendly staff. I dined alone in the restaurant but I could see the pub food was going well. The metal walkway outside my room clattered a bit as residents went to bed,and I heard some trffic on the road,but overall I slept well.A full English breakfast next morning finished the visit off well.

Room Tip: Furthest away from the road should be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was my husbands birthday on 6th october and as he was evacuated to Docking norfolk in the war and spent his childhood there until he was 16,I decided to give him a long weekend in the area. I looked on the website and ffolkes arms was the one I picked. It was lovely just exactly as it came up on it's website.The hotel was great the staff so friendly and the food really great, our room was clean and comfortable, toiletries, tea and coffee making, good t v if you needed it.A bus stop right outside so you didn't even need to use your car ,plenty of car parking. We would definitely go there again and have recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the roadside as it gets a lot of coastal traffic
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ascot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

For £70 per night for two people, I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering. Motel-style rooms in a separate building from the pub were comfortable, warm and with a decent shower. Walkway outside was metal and women's heels made a loud noise. Traffic on the A road was also noisy late evening and early morning.
Food was decent, without being Michelin starred, but we all had clean plates. Breakfast was comprehensive in the morning, and included in the price.

Room Tip: Furthest from the road for less noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ffolkes Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!