“My third stay here! Love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blakeney House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blakeney
Blakeney House
You added Blakeney House to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   High St., Blakeney NR25 7NX, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Blakeney B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“My third stay here! Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Have just spent my third break at Blakeney House. Will keep coming back because I love North Norfolk and this is the perfect place to stay. Our room was large with a separate seating area. Clean, comfortable and warm. Nice-sized shower room. Breakfast has to be the best I have ever had in a guest house! Cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurt, croissants, jams, full English (more than you would expect!) Friendly, helpful owner. Can't ask for more! An excellent price for what you get. I'll be back!

Room Tip: A friend and I stayed in Room 1 (twin) this time. Excellent! Have previously stayed in Room 7 whic...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Hotel easy to find, stands in it's own grounds, former Victorian house turned into a quiet B&B Hotel. Rooms large very Nice bathrooms built into the corner of the room, good size, modern.
The rooms were well heated the stairs to the rooms were a problem for the senior person but had good hand rails and plenty of width, so passing the slower guest was not a problem, as with many older Hotels they do not have the space for Lifts.
The breakfast 1st class plenty cooked fresh.
Avery nice place to stay I would use again
Full marks

Room Tip: Best to ask my mother was in her 80's and she managed a 1st floor room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We are just back from a few days stay at Blakeney house. The surroundings are beautiful, the accommodation first class and the service was difficult to criticise. The owners made us feel so welcome and couldn't do enough for us.
The breakfast was superb with a wide selection of fresh produce.
All in all highly recommended, we feel privilaged to have stayed here and will definitely be back.
Yvonne and Angela , Norwich.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed at Blakeney House for four nights. While the accommodation is comfortable and generally of a good standard, several minor points did not accord with our expectations of “luxury 5 star” accommodation or the previous excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.

We had been asked to confirm our arrival time, and I did this by return email, stating that we would be dining with a friend at Brancaster and arriving between 10 and 11PM, and that I would phone on the evening during dinner just to confirm this. When I made that call, the response seemed rather frosty, as if we had been expected earlier and had prevented the person we spoke to from going out. On arrival, we introduced ourselves but never found out the name or position of the person we dealt with.

As we planned to be out and about for the days, we had booked one of the relatively cheaper rooms rather than the suites that were mentioned when we first enquired. It was made clear that our room would be at the top of the house.

The weather was quite wintry and the room was cool when we arrived as the heating had gone off some time earlier.

The room was better than many I have stayed in. Both bedroom and adjoining bathroom were spacious; the bedroom could easily have accommodated a king-size bed, rather than the double. There was a wardrobe and plenty of drawers, three comfortable chairs, and a digital television with DVD player.

Everything was very clean, except for the outlet grid of the bathroom extractor fan, which was thick with an accumulation of dirt and grime. The towels were very large and fluffy, and we were provided with the usual small bottles of shampoo and body-wash (One of each between the two of us, and not replaced during our stay). There was a box of tissues on the bedside cupboard.

The main lighting was bright throughout the L-shaped room area, but was controlled by a single switch. This meant that it was not possible for one person to have a rest or to go to bed earlier than the other unless they could tolerate bright ambient light or the other person sat in the dark. A standard or table lamp in the sitting area could solve this problem.

Breakfast, in the elegant dining room, started well. There is a fresh fruit salad, timed prunes and grapefruit, bowls of yogurt and cereals and milk. I asked for decaffeinated coffee and was surprised to discover that only sachets of a very weak instant coffee were available. I really like to start my day with fresh coffee and I can’t drink regular. Nearly all ‘5 star’ establishments these days provide fresh decaff and I hadn’t thought to take my own in-cup filters or ground coffee. As I politely indicated my disappointment, I would also have thought that some could have been purchased for subsequent mornings, but this did not happen.

I also tried asking for tea with lemon, but the lemon had run out.

We had both ordered a selection of cooked items including bacon. Unfortunately, the bacon had a strong rancid fishy taste. Either the meat was tainted or it had possibly been fried in some rancid fat. We left the bacon and explained why, but did not receive any real apology or explanation. You’d think a proprietor would be mortified to discover they had offered a guest such sub-standard fare! Other breakfast items were fine and the serving staff was pleasant.

Another minor problem was that on windy nights the door of the unoccupied room next to ours rattled and banged through the night; I propped it open to avoid the banging disturbing us.

There is ample parking within the grounds and no doubt it would be pleasant to sit outside on one of the benches in the summer. However, on our third morning, we woke up to find several inches of snow on the ground and appeals on the radio for drivers to avoid non-essential journeys. We asked if the heating would be left on if we were unable to go out and were told that it went off at 9.30 although a fire would remain in the private lounge, which we could not use (there is no lounge for visitors). Surely the right answer at a ‘5-star’ establishment in these circumstances would have been ‘If your room gets cold, let us know and we can put the heating back on’?

On the plus side, the gardener had cleared a little path through the snow around the parked cars.

Blakeney House is not at all a bad place to stay, but on this experience falls short of being 5-star. That said, the "5 star" was awarded by the AA, whose ratings I have found seriously awry on some past occasions. A lesson there, perhaps.

Room Tip: We had no. 8, see review for details; no 7 had the repeatedly banging door.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Lowestoft Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

A norfolk girl now living in silly suffolk, thats me. We love North norfolk this time of year,so few visitors and although visitors ourselves ,it feels more real, less like a film set. Anyway the Blakeney House, from the first phone call to book with Hannah (Davids right hand girl) I knew we would feel comfortable and enjoy the guest house. David was away and Hannah looked after so well. I asked for Assam tea at breakfast and when we got back in late afternoon Hannah had so thoughtfully put some assam on the tea tray.Little touches eh. Very clean, warm ,comfortable and welcoming. What else does one need. The House is half way up the quaint high street (think Lane) with flint covered cottages. Plentiful parking and large grounds which I imagine in the hectic summer season , the house must be a oasis amidst the storm. Welly boot tray,binos and torches for guests to use at front door. Breakfast hearty and well cooked , very attentive service.
We stayed two nights to celebrate a birthday and used the Coasthopper bus service for 1st time. £7 each all day on and off along the coast.We walked to morston but was so muddy and slippy didnt go further. jumped on bus to Thornham then bus back to Holkham, walked up Lady anne's drive onto the beach and along to Wells. Meandered and took coupla hours but ensure you have warm dry gear as sleet driving into faces but SO beautiful and for an hour saw no-one else. Had two meals in White Horse both enjoyable but next time will drive the very short distance to Morston Anchor (real fire) or Wiveton Bell.
We believe west of Sheringham to be the nices part of N Norfolk but equally love to visit Cromer.

Room Tip: each room individually named, ie The French Room, colonnial room.We had the French Room but Hannah k...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place situated in Blakeney centre in a secluded spot with car parking which can be at a premium in this village. We had a friendly welcome from our host and the service throughout was excellent. Our room was nicely furnished with a super en-suite and very quiet. The breakfast was freshly cooked with good quality produce. We only staed 1 night but will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2011
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed in the Blakeney house hotel from the 27th to the 30th of December.
This is a great place, my wife and I stayed for two nights on our own in the French room, which is very comfortable, and a good sized room with a spacious bathroom. It was the perfect place for us to have a very precious couple of days away from our two small children. We were then joined by the rest of our family, two children (2 and 5 years) their grandparents and uncle. We moved to the family room on the top floor which was a really great room for two adults and two children with a good sized seating area and a very good larger shower and bath.
David who owns the Blakeney house hotel is a great host being extremely helpful yet easy going, making you really feel at home there. The kitchen staff are also very friendly and the enormous breakfast is first class. We particularly appreciated the really good fresh fruit salad. What makes the Blakeney House particularly special is its great location. Set in the center of Blakeney, yet spaciously positioned in its own pleasant garden and grounds. This means you can easily walk to the quayside, pubs and restaurants and get onto the foot paths for a brisk walk, and return to your hotel which is peaceful and quiet. The perfect country home b n b.

Room Tip: French room is perfect for couples The family room is also really great with two little ones
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Blakeney House? Share your experiences!