“great staff, good pub” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Horse Hotel, Blakeney

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blakeney
White Horse Hotel, Blakeney
You added White Horse Hotel, Blakeney to your Saves list
4 High Street, Blakeney NR25 7TE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blakeney
Winchester, United Kingdom
“great staff, good pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed for two nights in early December when birdwatching in North Norfolk (not a natural time to holiday in North Norfolk unless you are into geese!). From the time I phoned to make my booking I had a good feeling. There was a nice response to my questions and I felt that they wanted guests. When I arrived, I discovered that I had been talking to Dan, who was also chief barman.

When I arrived - pretty cold after a day on the marshes - I got an immediate warm welcome from Dan and an offer to carry my bags. My room, number five, was a good size with a double bed, a sofa to watch the tv and a decent bathroom with shower. The room was great for a cold dark winter stay, but in the summer guests might feel that they lack light because it only has a small side window and a skylight - but that meant it was cosy in December. The whole inn was warm but not overly hot.

Good choice of beers. With my evening meal I bought a bottle of house medoc (v.good value) and asked for half to be kept for my second evening. No problem. While eating alone, I was brought, by Dan, a copy of the local parish magazine which had a good article about local bird migration. This is service - taking note of the guest's interests.

The choice of food was not enormous, but a wide enough range with lots of local produce and I enjoyed my meals on both evenings.

Breakfast on my first morning was delayed because the chef had gone ill. A good test of a place is the way they handle problems. Jenny (in charge of breakfasts), explained the situation,told me that a replacement chef was on the way, estimated the time and was totally up front, realistic and apologetic in appropriate measures. Great... she didn't bluster or cover up, and I felt for her rather than thinking "I want my breakfast." Anyway an 8.15 walk over the marshes for 45 minutes sharpened the appetite for a jolly good full English.

This is a good country pub of quality, nit an upmarket hotel. It does its thing well. It is nicely decorated, is warm in winter, and has decent food and a good selection of wines and beers. The real bonus is the staff who care for their guests and have the ability to use their initiative and make you feel really welcome. I'll certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Room five is a good size: at the end of corridor so quiet, comfortable double bed, and also a sofa t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We revisited after about ten years and found that our room was warm, clean and well priced but, as other revievers have commented, it was also tired and in need of some attention. Most of the staff were friendly and very helpful. The beer and breakfast were very good but the cod and crumble pudding were both over priced and disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 day break in Blakeney and viited the White Horse for lunch. We ordered our food and drinks, I ordered Cottage cheese with Lemon and mint with homemade flatbreads and y partner ordered the cornish blue and pickle sandwich. We waited at least 25minutes for the food to arrive after the drinks, mine was a big disappointent to say the least, a very small bowl of just plain cotttage cheese (roughly about 50p in the shops) with a small grating grating of lemon and a minute pice of mint. The homemade flatbreads were definately not homemade not even edible, it was a cut into strips pitta, all in all about 5 inch strips and were heated to an inch of their lifes, they were so hard you could not bite them, no salad either or chips, this measley amount of food for a whopping £6.25, my partners sandwich was a door step to say the least, each slice at least an inch thick which overwhelmed the tast of the cheese and pickle (not at lot of pickle either) but he did get a small bowl of chips and side salad all for £6.50, does not make sense really. I would not recommend this pub, totally overated and over priced, waste of time and money, there are better places to eat in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night in October 2012

Stayed in double room no 7.
Room is very very small. Bed was firm but Comfy. No sea view in this room just the view of the conservatory roof!
The bathroom was large but in desperate need of a refurb. No shower just a hand held shower head. Impossible to take a shower as the ceiling is sloped.
Even though the room was clean it is very small and desperate for an overhaul.
The best bit about this hotel is the breakfast absolutely fantastic. Fresh well cooked and beautifully presented.

• Stayed October 2012
york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Perfect lunch of fresh seafood. Wonderful flavours - perfect combinations and quantity. Friendly service. Could not be bettered.

So I have to write 200 characters. To perfect your perfect experience arrive early and choose the table with the view down the street and out towards the sea.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirkby Fleetham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have just spent five wonderful nights from the 3rd to 8th October at the White Horse, our second stay his year.The food was absolutely superb as was the service, the staff were helpful knowledgable and attentive.Everything about our stay was faultless aand we are looking forward to staying again in December, Francis is to be congratulated for his running of the White Horse , first class in every way

Room Tip: We have always stayed in Room, seven times in all, huge room wonderful view of the sea and harbour
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the White Horse Hotel on the 29.09.12 and had a wonderful time. We turned up without a booking and the staff where very welcoming and helpful. We were given room 5 which is a lovely big room with character. We had an evening meal which was superb. Breakfast was included in the stay and was also of a high standard (my husband is a tad fussy about breakfast and was very pleased). Would highly recommend this and found it very good value for money and will be returning soon.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to White Horse Hotel, Blakeney? Share your experiences!