“Great holiday and a great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gladwins Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nayland
Gladwins Farm
You added Gladwins Farm to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cottage   |   Harper's Hill, Nayland CO6 4NU, England   |
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great holiday and a great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed at Gladwins over Easter 2014 and had a wonderful time. The kids loved everything, especially the pool and hot tub. Feeding the animals and building dens was great and was the play area. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Susie B, Owner at Gladwins Farm, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Hello, many thanks for your review, we love to hear from our guests. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Gladwins Farm and we hope to see you again soon. Best wishes

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed in Gladwins Farm in March 2012 and the cottage we stayed in, Wiston, was very nice. We loved the hot tub. The accommodation was clean and spacious.

The grounds were very pretty and our son loved the small games room. The swimming pool was great but we were disappointed that we could not use it all the time as they rented it out for birthday parties and swimming lessons, having specifically chosen it because it had a pool this was a real shame.

The area is great, especially if you are foodies as there are great restaurants, farm shops and garden centres. I really enjoyed exploring this part of the country.

The reason we could not recommend Gladwins Farm to anyone nor return is that shortly after we left we received a phone call to ask us to pay an extra £50 towards cleaning costs as we had left the house "in the worst state they had ever seen it". I was mortified and embarrassed by this as both myself and my husband went around cleaning the house before we left (which was not easy as they asked us to check out at 10am and we had a 3 year old and a 12 week old). Upon asking what the problem was, we were told that there was a crisp packet on the floor, the dishwasher had not been put on (although it was fully loaded) and there was some pot pourri on the table (next to its bowl, thanks to my 3 year old!). I told them I was very upset and disagreed with their statement entirely and suggested they reviewed the situation again and called me back if they still needed to, I never heard anything more.

I am writing this review almost 2 years later, I realise, but I wanted to write this as I am still very upset at our treatment by Gladwins Farm. (If you read my other reviews you will see I am not someone who leaves a negative review very often).

In short, this was a nice place that needs to work on its customer service and treatment of guests and I am sure it will be lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Susie B, Owner at Gladwins Farm, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Hello, many thanks for taking the time to write the review, we are extremely upset to hear that you feel like this and would like to take the opportunity to make it right. Please could you directly email me at Gladwins Farm and we can discuss the matter. Kind regards
Belper,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

An ideal place to stay whatever your age but for children it has many attractions including a heated indoor pool. The farm shop is good & the accommodation is a high standard. The farm is close to lots of lovely villages and Southwald is just an hour away.

• Stayed September 2013
Susie B, Owner at Gladwins Farm, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Hello, many thanks for your review, we love to hear from our guests. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Best wishes from the Gladwins Farm Team
Downham Market, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Lovely place - 9 cottages of varying sizes on a farm with small fishing lake, woodland walk and lots of open space. We stayed in Gainsborough which was all on one level, cosy and well equipped. I was going to give this four stars but my 9 year old son has forced me to give five as he loved it! He particularly enjoyed feeding the goats, sheep and pigs (they enjoyed our leftovers!), going to the swimming pool (clean, warm and mostly empty), bouncing on the trampoline and playing table tennis and the wii in the games room. We all enjoyed the hot tub. And we had great weather which helped.

There are lots of leaflets about what to do in the area and a small (unstaffed) shop with food essentials and other bits and pieces, as well as a laundry room.

Just one small gripe - as a previous reviewer has mentioned, there is no personal welcome when you arrive. We left none the wiser as to who the owners actually were - we spotted several people who were quite possibly owners/managers but we weren't quite sure. We were very happy to just get on with it and explore for ourselves but I can see that some people might have questions or problems on arrival/departure. Having said that, when I called with a query about the hot tub (which had gone onto 'standby' because we pressed the wrong button), it was resolved very quickly.

Only other downside and nothing to do with Gladwins, is that we found shopping and getting out to places quite laborious due to the road system and plethora of 30 mile an hour speed limits - the nearest supermarket seemed quite a long way (Asda in Colchester) and was extremely busy. Tourist hotspots Flatford Mill and Dedham seemed to take much longer to get to than they looked on the map. And although we planned to go to the coast we never actually made it as it is really quite a long trip. Also, we took bikes but you need to drive somewhere with them in order to actually cycle (we went to Alton Water reservoir, which was great and just right for our 9 year old to cycle round) as there are no cycling opportunities onsite (this isn't made clear on their website).

Those minor gripes aside, we had a great week and would recommend this for families as children are well catered for at Gladwins. It's not cheap, but I think is reasonable value for the facilities you can enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Susie B, Owner at Gladwins Farm, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Hello, many thanks for the review, we really value the feedback. Apologies that there was no one here when you arrived, we have small children and were doing the nursery run at that time and so left you a note and keys in the door. We did knock on our return but couldnt make ourselves heard so phoned the cottage phone instead. We did also see you around the farm and asked if all was ok, apologies if we didnt make it clear that we were the owners.
We hope that you may consider visiting us again in the future. PLease let me know if there is anything else we can do to help. Best wishes from The Gladwins Farm Team
Southend
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I paid a lot for this holiday and was kind of expecting more. Had been emailing the place for a number of days to confirm our arrival at 7.30 pm would be ok but never got a reply that said when I rang on the morning of the arrival my mind was put at ease. Arrived at Gladwins to a lovely accommodation with hot tub, enclosed garden etc very nice. But no keys decided to wait till the morning to collect as didn't feel I could ring the emergency numbers as we could get in. Went down to reception at 9am again no staff member present so had to ring emergency number so I did and was told to find owner who was feeding the animals!!! lucky we found him otherwise we would have to leave the property insecure again. (should I really be expected to find someone to collect keys)
Lovely comfortable accommodation, clean and tidy. Free internet. Cot bed for babies. Perfect. Big farmhouse kitchen plenty of seating, microwave etc.
Beware of power cuts one happened at 12.30 am on the sat. Alarm in the accommodation was ringing for over an hour. You are advised this could happen plenty of torches available but bit of a shock. Tried ringing the emergency number after an hour to see how long it would last. No reply.
Great shop with home produce but do not rely on it for milk bring UHT with you.
Loved the animals - the pigs loved our left overs. Swimming pool good. Nice walks. But this place is in the middle of nowhere. Spa treatments available these were excellent but book well ahead.

Downside - feel there is a total lack of customer care and that the owners expect you to just get on with it. But I would expect some sort of reception open even for a limited time even for arrivals and departures. When we left again had to find the owner and reception shut (didn't know what to do this till another resident told me ) I took my disabled mother in law who walks with a frame this accommodation was not suitable in any way.

I may return but to be honest I have stayed in some lovely accommodation in this area at a cheaper price with better facilities but if this place improves then I will return.

Downside we never found the reception open

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Susie B, Owner at Gladwins Farm, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Hello, many thanks for the review, we really value your feedback. Please email me directly and we will hopefully amend the situation. Kind regards

Been to Gladwins Farm? Share your experiences!