“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I frequently dine in KL and I will confess that I have heard mixed reports with regard to The Royal so I was prepared for it not to meet my expectations but I was pleasantly surprised.

Menu wise there is a good selection most people would find something they liked. I selected a Frittata of roasted peppers, mozzarella and pesto which was nice perhaps a little undercooked but flavour wise was lovely. Then a supreme of chicken with potatoes and sautéed bacon, mushroom and baby onions this was delicious for dessert we shared a sticky toffee pudding and a lemon tart both of which we delicious. All was beautifully presented at a nice pace with a good selection of wines by the glass and bottle available. The party I was with we all selected different courses and my only criticism was some of the other starter portions were on the small side I personally would have been very disappointed with the duck salad.

The staff I came into contact with all appeared to be fairly young apart from the lady who seated us and took our order but I must say they should be congratulated as they did a good job however; there was no check back on us after each course had been served, we had to ask for more drinks, when we ordered glasses of wine the young girl did look slightly perplexed but given that I don’t think she would be old enough to drink this can be forgiven. Due to the lack of maturity in their staff I think customer service perhaps isn’t just quite there, don’t get me wrong everyone did their job but that little bit of something was missing a few more smiles would go a long way to solving this.

The dining room was full but I certainly didn’t feel like we were crammed in or being rushed though which was nice. However there were a few little things. I was disappointed that the napkin was a paper now I know this might seem trivial but where you’re paying over £35pp for dinner I would expect a linen napkin. The table I was sat at was a lovely old wooden pedestal table but the chairs were too low for the table so it wasn’t very comfortable.

Overall did I enjoy it yes, would I go again yes, would I recommend it yes, but with a few tweaks this place has the potential to be amazing and rival the competition in KL!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kendal, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub and nice service but the food was disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We went for a meal with friends recently. I picked belly pork for starter which was tiny but tasty and then rib eye steak for my main course. It should have been called "lose it in your eye steak" because it was tiny! By far the smallest rib eye I have ever seen. I asked for it rare but it was most certainly well done. It was accompanied by a small portion of chips.

Unfortunately for £27 a head this just wasn't acceptable. Every person in our party was unhappy with the size of their meal. The food was tasty but not cooked as asked for and way too small.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
North Lancashire
“Afternoon Tea Takes the Biscuit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recent visit with niece one Saturday afternoon when we leisurely indulged in the Royal's 'Afternoon Tea for Two' - a snip at £15 for 2. Early afternoon and the place was bustling with customers in the bar/lounge areas, so we were shown into the fine dining room. Prompt service saw us soon nibbling on a large selection of finger sandwiches of ham, smoked salmon, egg mayonnaise and cheese/chutney. Freshly baked and warm fruit scones accompanied by fresh cream, strawberry jam, fruit teabread, home made battenburg, coffee cake, muffins and a pot of tea each and I felt the need to loosen my belt through over-indulgence!.. In fact I did not feel the need for further calories until Sunday lunchtime!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Open fires, friendly staff, everything you would expect from a Yorkshire establishment, food was excellent!

Visited September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hotel Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The food was excellent, reasonably priced and served in lovely surroundings. Staff extremely helpful.

Visited September 2012