“Great week end break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kirkby Lonsdale
Royal Hotel
You added Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale LA6 2AE, England   |
Bury
“Great week end break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel is located in the centre of a lovely small town and the room we had overlooked the square. The staff were very helpful in all respects and couldn’t do enough for us. We ate in the Hotel one evening and the food was very good. We both enjoyed our breakfasts which was made with quality products, I guess locally sourced. There was a large snow fall when we stayed which added to the beauty of our stay and the area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front with a view of the square and the hills.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

my wife and i had our wedding reception at the royal hotel in k, lonsdale after our ceremony down the road at st marys church, and we have to say it was fantastic. we arrived on the thur mornin along with all family members, we had booked all the rooms for the thur night before the wedding, and we arranged a wedding package with the manager (jason) that included all 14 rooms, wedding breakfast and reception drinks canapes etc, also we got the royal all to ourselves for the whole day of our wedding which was brilliant, we got looked after from start to finish, the wedding menu was lovely, all our guests said how lovely the room looked and the hotel is beutifull inside and out, we got some crackin pictures which ive included in this review, my wife and i stayed until the sunday which gave us time to finish off the wine that was left, jason also included 40 bottles of wine and 20 presseco into the wedding package,
all in all we were made up with it, from the organising with jason the manager and all the other royal staff was really easy and they all did a fantastic job with our wedding, if you or anyone you know is thinking about using the royal, DO. you wont regret it.

Alex andJayne Mcknight

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

You can’t get any better for this type of hotel, if you want a spa, hairdressers etc go to one of the large chain hotels but if you want quality accommodation with excellent staff and great food this is the place to stay. The hotel obviously prides itself on its standard of cleanliness throughout and the choice and quality off breakfast is very high end. The hotel has a real old feel about it from when you get out of the car in the cobbled courtyard to the original doors that have been retained on each of the rooms. I have stayed in 4 different rooms now and each one has a different quirkiness about them with all having spacious and individually designed bathrooms. The hotel is located in the town centre with the bus stop directly across the road, you can get a bus to Lancaster or Kendal if you want to venture further afield then come back to the warm wood burning fire in the lounge. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms have special features check the web site if you want to chose something specific, sunken b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tibshelf, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

When travelling to an associated companys head office in Burton in Kendal I usually stay at a Holiday Inn in Lancaster but some colleagues had recommended this small 14 room Hotel so I thought I would give it a try.
The Hotel is beautifully done out with lots of antiques and old wood mixed tastefully with a little modern. Every bedroom is different. I was with 7 colleagues and we each had a different room. When we compared notes no-one had a bad word to say for their room and all some of us could say was WOW!.
My friend had room 8 which has a deep plunge pool bath and was offering it to the rest of us if we wanted it. I had room 3 which has a 4 poster bed (all the beds are King size) which was sooooo comfortable I had the best sleep I have had in ages. My room was described as having a small bathroom with shower but it is as big as my bathroom at home and the shower is a big one. Another colleague had one of the rooms with a bath at the end of the bed (not literally) and he was impressed. - check out the hotels websited for all room pics and descriptions)

All the toiletries in the room are curtesy of the Bath House - a little shop on the adjacent corner in the village and they are really good especially the hand wash and lotion.

My room overlooked the market square and I suppose at some times of year it could be noisy but I have no complaints. Even on Thursday morning - Market day I wasnt unduly disturbed by the vendors arriving early to set up.

The food at this Hotel is beyond belief. I dont know if the chef has any michelin stars but he certainly deserves some if not. Everything is cooked fresh and although this might entail a little waiting, what arrives at the table is well worth the wait. Breakfast is plentiful and hot and although the vegetarian options are limited one of my colleagues found no problem in chosing what to eat.
The staff are always ready to help if you have any queries. I had trouble with the TV remote and it was sorted in minutes.

The only issue with the hotel is Parking.
There is very limited parking behind the hotel in open sheds and it is first come first served and guests are told if they wish to park behind other cars they can do so but must leave the keys at reception. I was blocked in one morning but the hotel staff were ready to assist when needed but as it turned out I was able to get out without disturbing another gurst as I only hava a corsa. You can park in the square in the middle - except on Thursdays - Market day and parking overnight between 6pm and 8am costs £1 butthere are also a few spaces around the square (watch out for the disabled ones) and these are free overnight and between 8am and 6pm free for 1 hour so it isnt tooo difficult or expensive to park overnight if you cannot get behind the hotel.
One other word of warning! The TV signal is a little unreliable but I suspect that is due to the remoteness of the village but could have been the weather - when we stayed from 19th to 22nd November 2012 the country was encountering some severe rain and wind storms. The wifi is free but that is a bit hit and miss as welll and this is due - as I found out from a member of staff - to the thichk walls of the hotel but if you are going away just to use wifi then my answer to this is dont use this hotel. personally it is great to be away from computers wifi tv and other electronic gadgetry occasionally.

All i All I am so impressed with this hotel I am planing to go back on a visit with my husband sometime next year and am relally looking forward to it.
And on my biannual visits up north for business i will be using this hotel every time - sorry Holiday inn!

Room Tip: If you dont want any road noise ask for top floor rooms at the back. If you want a bath ask for a ro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
East Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Always worth a visit as room for cafe style lunches and afternoon tea. Also have a good range of local beers.
Hotel welcome and service. Beautifully decorated in a lovely setting.
Another great place to recharge after or before heading to the hills.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent one evening at the Royal and enjoyed our stay. We had room 9 which was a lovely size, the bed was very comfortable and the room was lovely and warm. We had drinks in the bar in the evening and had a lovely seat next to a open fire.

The decor of the hotel is lovely and is very relaxing.

The hotel does have parking but this is limited. We parked in the public car park in front of the hotel, this is pay and display 7 days a week, although only £1 for overnight. You will need to get up to add more to the meter at 8am.

Breakfast at the hotel is really only average, staff are very good but there is not a great selection. We both had eggs Benedict and we disappointed that our poached eggs we over cooked. There was limited choice of cereal and milk that was available was warm. The toast was excellent though!

Room Tip: Room 9 is on the 2nd floor and has a lovely view of the market square, there is some traffic and pe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Arran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We arrived unexpectedly, looking for overnight accommodation. The sign advertising afternoon tea for £15 suggested to us that it would be far too expensive so we first looked at other accommodation in the town, most of which was prohibitively pricey. We're so glad we finally plucked up courage to enquire within as the rooms were reasonably priced, impeccably clean and very comfortable. A lift enabled my elderly mother to reach her room without difficulty.
Dinner and breakfast was first rate and the staff were, without exception, delightful.
All in all a splendid experience and we heartily recommend the Royal Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 9 & 10 have both been tastefully refurbished recently, each with distinctive style in keep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!