“nice and clean, does the job” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marlow
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“nice and clean, does the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

nice hotel, reasonable prices and does the job and it was very clean
we stayed for a function offsite but when we were there the staff were pleasant, room was nice and breakfast was very good.
i would stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us last month and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
United Kin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and i celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here on the 20th August. When we checked in they had upgraded us to a suite which was such a special treat and they had given us a few extras on top. They couldn't have done more. The staff were very friendly, room was lovely and the facilities and surroundings were fantastic. We had a lovely stay, thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us over August 20th for your wedding anniversary.

May say how delighted I was that you chose the Crowne Plaza Marlow to celebrate this important event. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to contribute to your celebration.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel is nice and has a good standard.

We stayed in the hotel on the 11th of August. The hotel was really busy with a wedding which did not effect us. We also were attending a different wedding and were able to check in before 12 o'clock which was great because our wedding started at 1.00 pm. Reception staff were really helpful and friendly.

My partner already stayed the night before in a different room and during breakfast he waited for his pancakes for over 40 min and after asking again he was told unfortunately the chef was on his break. The waiter apologised and he finally got his pancakes.

We were a bit disappointed when we returned around 12.10 am back to the hotel with a group of 6 to have a drink before going to bed. Unfortunately this was not possible. The bar staff told us the bar is closed already. I find that closing the bar at 12 am early for a 4 star hotel considering there were a wedding going on too.
The room we had was nice, a bit noisy. We got woken up quite early by kids from the room next door.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I was delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable and that you had plenty of time to prepare for the wedding you were attending, and that although the Hotel was busy this did not impede on your stay.

It did cause me concern to read that there were a couple of issues that arose that marred your stay. My sincere apologies that the bar was not open when you returned after midnight, I do hope that room service provided a suitable alternative.

Please extend our apologies to your husband that his breakfast was delayed, this incident highlights a training issue which will be addressed by the respective departments.

In respect to your comments about noise in the morning, we do ask guests to supervise their children and respect the privacy of others staying in the Hotel, may I suggest on another occasion to request a room in a 'quiet zone' when making the reservation.

Thank you again for your valuable comments, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

essex england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

we went for a wedding on 11th august our room was ready at requested time the grounds of this hotel are amazing the wedding was outside lucky with the weather... if i was going for a weekend to a hotel i would check first to make sure there is no function on.... there was 250 people at the wedding of which half stayed over.
the room was excellent evrything you need the breakfast ok the waiting service a bit slow for tea coffee room was very clean and modern overall a great weekend

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on 11th August and considered the Hotel an excellent venue for the wedding you were attending.

I would like to stress that we ensure that all our guests, whether they be part of a group booking or an individual, receive the same excellence in service that we strive to achieve. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the very near future.

Hotel Adminstrator
Plymouth, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had booked a double room for 2 nights Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th August .

The Saturday was fine, we had lunch in Aqua Cafe Bar and ate in Glaze restaurant for our evening meal although there was a birthday party in the Glaze conservatory area so we had to eat inside which was a little disappointing. At £25 for a main course with supplements on some of the dishes and £23.50 for a bottle of wine it certainly was not cheap especially when the 12.5% service charge was added but the food was up to the 2 AA Rosette standard it claims.
No concerns either about the room which was spacious and comfortable with a great bathroom and facilities.

On the Sunday it all began to go horribly wrong. We had anticipated eating in Aqua for our evening meal as we had eaten in Glaze the night before so we were most surprised to find at 7PM that all the tables in the conservatory for both Aqua and Glaze had been removed to accommodate a wedding in the upstairs area. The lawn was also occupied by wedding guests so there was nowhere to eat other than inside in the bar (too dark and not suited to an evening meal) and Glaze (where we had already eaten and didn't want an expensive meal 2 nights in a row). I asked the receptionist if the conservatory seating would be replaced shortly so that we could eat there and was assured that it would be ready in 15 minutes. However it soon became evident that no tables and chairs were appearing so we had no option but to order a taxi to take us into Marlow to find somewhere to eat. The prospect of having to locate a restaurant in an unknown town was not welcomed.

I feel that the hotel was heavily biased towards pleasing guests who had booked their event (wedding/birthday party) and that ordinary guests such as ourselves were overlooked. It is certainly a great venue for a large celebration but the events taking place over this weekend were at the detriment of others who had booked for a pleasant weekend away.

I have written to the management to let them know that we had such a disappointing stay but they do not seem to be concerned.

Room Tip: the hotel stands in it's own very large grounds so there are no other facilities nearby and a ta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, August 14, 2013

My apologies that your stay did not live up to expectation, and I am aware that you have been in communication with the management team regarding these issues.

Marlow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We use to stay at the Crown Plaza Marlow for leisure weekends around the area. It has been a couple of years since we returned but on a recent trip to the area, we booked for the weekend. The hotel offers good rates on weekends if pre-book. We booked the Clubs room. Upon checking into the room, the bed looks bumpy which could have been because of the comforter. However, the bathroom was deplorable. The bathtub had scum and grime rings all around the inside of the tube. It was as if someone had taken baths and the bath tub has not been washed at all. I used dettol to scrub ..... and I mean scrub the tub. The cloth I used to scrub the tub was black with grime when I was done. My husband was really upset and told the front desk. There were no apologies not did they try to do something to compensate. That evening, we used the wine glasses in the room. The next morning I checked to see if the wine glasses was cleaned. The wine glasses were not changed but the house keeper did try to rinse and wipe the wine glasses without doing a very good job because I could still see smears of my lipstick on the glass.
Because we booked the Club rate, this included continental breakfast in the Club room. The first morning's breakfast was pretty grim. The fruits looked picked at and not much selection was left. There were no spoons for the cereal. The counter surface were sticky and yucky. The cold cuts and cheese slice were covered in a container that looked like it had a cloudy film on top. I went to front desk and told them there were not any spoons. They sent a staff in right away who looked around and took stock on what was missing and left. By the time I had finished my breakfast, he still has not returned with the cutlery. Other families that came in went to the back room and rummaged through dirty dishes and washed them so they could get cutlery to eat with.

Also not acceptable is the charge of £12.99 for internet usage in this time and age where any coffee shop offers free wi-fi.

Not acceptable! Shame on you Crown Plaza for considering itself top end of the Holiday Inn chain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary steps to ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I was very concerned to read that your stay was severely marred by a number of issues, most predominantly the housekeeping in your bedroom and bathroom. I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies and assure you that it was an isolated occurrence. The respective departments have been informed and I can can confirm that the matter has been investigated to ensure that it does not happen again.

In regards to your comments about the Club Lounge, I reiterate my apologies and assurances that this in no way typifies the very high standards we strive to achieve at the Crowne Plaza Marlow and apologize for both the inconvenience of the circumstances as well as the circumstances themselves. I do hope that we were able to eventually provide the necessary cutlery.

In regards to the internet charge, all guests receive the benefit of 30 mins complimentary WiFi and after that there are different packages available at small additional costs. May I take this opportunity to advise that Platinum Members of the IHG Rewards Club receive unlimited complimentary WiFi.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the Crowne Plaza Marlow despite the concerns you raised. It is clear that on this occasion we did not live up to expectations of the brand but can assure you that the issues have now been addressed so that we can move forward and provide the exceptional service we pride ourselves on.

Worksop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Visited here for 1 night in July. Décor is dirty and tired looking, sofas could do with a clean especially. The reception desk shows many scuff/dirt marks.
Staff were friendly, drinks are highly priced. We ate at the restaurant in the evening. The food was beautifully presented and certainly very good quality.

We had one of the suites and it was adequate but certainly not luxurious or special. Beds were way too soft for us and actually we both had bad backs after our sleep that night and ended up at the chiropractor to be readjusted.

Unfortunately we did not have time to use any of the leisure facilities so I cannot comment on those.

The location of this hotel is very strange, right in the middle of an industrial estate. However once out on the terrace behind the restaurant its a beautiful view of the Thames, and we were blessed with hot sunny weather.

We had breakfast included in our rate, and it was very good with choice for everyone.
Overall very average though

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We appreciate your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and efficient in their service and you had enjoyed dining in our award winning Glaze Restaurant. However it did cause me concern that some aspects of your stay that did not live up to the high standards expected of the Crowne Plaza brand.

My sincere apologies that the decor of the Hotel, not your accommodation, live up to expectation. I was particularly concerned that you found the beds so uncomfortable that you had to visit the chiropractor as a result of it. We do endeavor to provide comfortable surroundings, and I am sure you can appreciate it is very difficult to get specific mattress requirements to suit everyone's needs, however I do appreciate and apologize for the convenience this must have caused you and you partner.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future as I can assure you that the standards you experienced do not in anyway typify those we strive to achieve.

Hotel Administrator

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow? Share your experiences!