“Good, but I can't get very excited about this hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marlow
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but I can't get very excited about this hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Third time here, and I always find this place a little bland. It's certainly a good hotel, probably just about worth its 4 star AA rating, but it doesn't stand out as particularly special in the way that I would expect a member of the CP range to stand out. The bar and restaurant are good but pricy, and yes there is an excellent fitness center and pool with spa. But overall this hotel seems to lack atmosphere, and appears a little too sterile.

I have to say, the room was excellently appointed with bathroom offering seperate shower and bath. Very comfortable bed and a good standard of housekeeping and cleanliness throughout.

The hotel is some way out of Marlow, so if you're going into town you will be driving or taking a taxi - no shuttle bus in sight, which would probably be a good touch.

Only wired internet in room, which was a problem for me with the iPad, and that is very expensive. The hotel makes a big deal about offerring free internet up to 30 minutes, but as most business travellers would agree I'm sure, you don't get much done in 30 minutes.

Room Tip: I have always stayed in a ground floor room to the left of reception, numbers 1 through to around 30...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value all the feedback we receive as it helps us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to experiance our wide range of amenities ranging from our well appointed bedrooms (specially designed to promote the unique Crowne Plaza Sleep Avantage experiance) to our Quad Club Health and Spa.

Regarding your concerns about the internet connection available in the bedrooms and throughout the Hotel as a whole, we are working on improving our internet service to be able to provide excellent service and also offering different packages for our guests including the half an hour free internet. We also give free WiFi access to the Platinum Priority Club members as a reward for their loyalty.

With respect to your Room Tip - do remember that we can always allocate you a room in the "Quiet Zone" of the hotel to ensure the very least disturbance during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Skegness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Bar prices - bring a credit card, Bedroom not four star shower leaked on to the floor in bath room, TV old with 4 channels, dust on desks kettle not clean.
Hotel said £8.00 for taxi into the town but on way back taxi firm said £7.00 too far to walk could do with shutle service

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and to maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I was concerned to read that your stay was marred by certain factors. We always like to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is clear on this occasion we were not entirely successful. I would like to extend my apologies that your room did not reach our usual high standards. We do make every effort to have all our rooms in full working order at all times, but as I am sure you will understand occasionally things do go unidentified. I fully appreciate that this must have cauesd you some inconvieniance and would like to assure you that Housekeeping and Maintenance have been alerted to your concerns and the matter has been fully investigated.

Regarding the selection of television channels available in the bedrooms, I would like to assure you that as part of our improvements and expansion for 2012 we will be updating the technology in the bedrooms and providing a wider range of channels to suit every taste, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the Hotel and experience this in the forthcoming year.

We aim to provide a competive rate to the other 4 star hotels in the area, however on your next stay I can recommend upgrading to Club Level, this will give access to the Club Lounge and a selection of compliementary beverages throughout the day, complimentary buffet breakfast and canapes in the early evening.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future as I can assure you the standards you experianced does not typify those the Hotel aspires to.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Definitely a business user's hotel. Rather stark decor - though not unpleasant, with very functional and comfortable rooms. During the week (for that is the only time I ever stay) the CP is a filing cabinet in which business users are neatly stacked overnight.

The rooms are neat, with a large desk and good office chair (this is a good thing, so many hotels have a stupid little table) the bathrooms are sizeable, and so is the TV! If you want to see what tellies were like before flatscreen, this is the place. Wow, those things are big!

There is NO FREE INTERNET (ok 30 mins at 128k is free) - this is the 21st century, the internet should be low cost. I would rather pay an extra few quid on the room and be foxed into thinking the internet is free.

If you go into the restaurant or bar you see individual guests subjecting themselves to the drudgery of dining alone [why don't such hotels offer a 'group dine' register or something, where interested folks could just sign up to say they will have dinner with three strangers... ]. If dining alone I much prefer to drive into town and take a novel to read. Breakfast is good with a wide range of hot and cold food.

The pool is good, often empty, with lanes for serious lappers, though the length is non-standard (22m, or something) so you can occupy your mind with the arithmetic while you swim up and down.

The staff are excellent. There is a choice of hotels in Marlow (though not enough!), and the CP does not want the staff to be a reason for you to go to a competitor.

I have given the CP an Average rating, which feels harsh, but I cant bring myself to go Very Good; it's not cheap and the internet thing is a real bugbear. I bet at the weekend the place is a riot of kids and families....?

Room Tip: The reception is at one end of two long wings with three floors in each. You have to walk back to re...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Second stay at this hotel for the Comedy Club night. Check -in staff are very keen to swipe a credit card to the value of £50, was some debate after I insisted that I was not going to charge anything to the room (I never do) and would pay cash as and when needed. Rooms are quite acceptable but mine had old style CRT tv with poor picture quality. Mini bar has a Mars bar at £2.50. When in the main bar be aware of a sign that states all spirits are served as doubles. This explains why it cost me £8.40 for a Baileys last year. This year a bottle of basic wine was £22.50. The Comedy Club night offered slightly warm almost cold food, which was rice, lasgne, chicken/mushroom thing and cold garlic bread. As the hotel is located remotely after driving through an industrial park all guests are a captive audience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps to improve our services and to maintain the very high standards our guests expect.
I was concerned to read that despite attending our excellent Comedy Night there were certain aspects of your stay that were marred, we always like to exceed our guests expectations and it is clear that on this occasion we were not entirely successful. I would like to assure you that we do try to offer competitive rates on all our food and beverages are always ensure that are comparable to other 4 star hotels. I would like to apologise for the state of the food that you were served on the event night and I would like to assure you that your experiacnce does not typify that of the very high standards we strive to achieve. I thank you for bringing this concern to the attention of the management team the matter will be investigated.

Randolph, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Loved: the swimming pool, peaceful, nice surroundings, elegant interior, free breakfast with wide selection.
Didn't like: plumbing noises, occasional misinformation by the front desk, restaurant expensive with limited choices, lack of wireless internet in the room.

This was my second stay at the Crowne Plaza in Marlow. Mostly because there are few other viable choices in Marlow area. I continue to see it as a throwback to the past era. The facilities, interior and decor are modern and elegant. But the maintenance is lacking. Plumbing in particular must be old, based on the noise from every single instance of flashing the toilet in my room. Also old TV box with few channels to choose from. As mentioned before - no wireless internet in the room. The wired internet is expensive. Word to the wise - if you are a business traveler, do not order the internet via internet. It will show up on your bill as Entertainment. Instead, order it through the lobby, in person or by phone. You will get a code number and it will be properly coded on your bill as Internet.
Staff is uneven, all very friendly, but not all efficient or knowledgable. In one instance a receptionist told my UK business associate that there is no reservation under my name. When I called to check on that, a different receptionist had no problem finding it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quiet zone. Weekend fixed price dinner is good value, otherwise the restaurant...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. The feedback we have received from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I have passed your comments regarding your reservation to the Front of House team and certain training issues will be addressed.

I would like to express my immediate apologies that the level of maintenance in your bedroom did not reach our usual standards and there were a number of appliances that were faulty. Please be assured that I informed our maintenance team,we do make every effort to have all the rooms in full working order at all times, but as I am sure you will appreciate occasionally things are left unidentified, we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention

On behalf of the management team I would also like to assure you that as part of our improvements for 2012 we will be updating the technology in the bedrooms and providing a wider range of channels to suit every taste, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the Hotel and experience this in the forthcoming year.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Crown Plaza Marlow numerous times over a period of 10 years.
Its our little retreat for a couple of nights to relax and unwind and visit Marlow with its nice shops and places to eat.

We have stayed at the hotel with and without our children who our 4.5 and 2.5 and we are always made to feel very welcome.
Our last visit was in November 2011 for my birthday ( without children) and yet again we were met with a warm reception at check in and our room was upgraded to a king size suit which was a nice surprise.
We have always found the nice size rooms clean and beds very comfortable I love the bathroom and the power shower and bath and its stylish with black and white decor, quite modern.
The Spa and gym areas are clean and staff our helpful. The Breakfasts in the main restaurant is delicious with an excellent choice of full english,fruit, cheese and cereals and juices.
We have never eaten dinner in the restaurant and this is only due to the fact we like to eat at a restaurant in Marlow but we have had room service for a snack and found the food was delicious although a bit pricey but that's always the downside of room service is many hotels.
We have very found memories to look back on from our stays at the Crown Plaza Marlow and look forward to many more stays in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to read not only did you enjoy this stay but that you have been here numerous times over the last ten years. We truly value your loyalty and hope that you and your family will continue to enjoy the wide range of facilities the Hotel has to offer. I also hope that we can entice you into our AA award winning restaurant (for Food Service and Quality in 2011) so that you can enjoy our wide range of dishes, freshly prepared from seasonal produce.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in 2012 and hope that we can help build more happy memories for you!

Devon, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This is a lovely hotel. Executive rooms very good. Lounge little small, but adequate. Have had better experiences in executive lounges in other Crown Plazas i.e. drinks in the evening and breakfasts, and also more comfortable seating. However at weekends can have breakfasts in the main restaurant which is very good. Swimming pool very nice and lovely grounds. Surprised that there was no or very little disabled parking near to the entrance. Did not have the pillow menu which most of this chain has which was a shame. I had asked for feather pillows in the room but when we arrived they were synthetic so had to ask. They did come very quickly but were too full for us to sleep comfortably. This was a shame. Also the phone did not work in our room which meant every time we wanted something we had to go down to reception which was very annoying. It was looked at several times but still did not seem to work!

Overall though we did enjoy our stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they helps us to improve our services and to maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I was concerned to read that there were certain aspects of the hotel that you found not as attractive as others in the Crowne Plaza Group. Please be assured that the management team take all feedback seriously and will address the areas that you have highlighted.

Thank you again for your feedback, I hope I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow? Share your experiences!