“First class break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marlow
Worcester, United Kingdom
“First class break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautifully situated hotel in a thriving town. Helpful and attentive staff who made our stay more enjoyable. The food in the Bowater restaurant was fabulous and breakfast set us up fora days walking. Rooms are good and well serviced although could be a little brighter. Highly recommended. James Webb, was an excellent host!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at The Complete Angler for a friends wedding reception. We arrived early on the saturday morning to drop off our luggage and were greated by a very friendly lady on reception who told us that our room was ready for us, and that we had been updgraded to an executive room which was great! The room was really nice with a big comfy bed and nice ensuite. The view from the room over the Thames was stunning! The service during our stay has been great from the moment we arrived. They helped by getting our bags from the car, booked taxis for us and walked to the car with an umbrella when we left so that we didnt get wet. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a lovely stay and would come again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Bad impression started when the receptionist was clearly looking down her nose at me arriving in a t-shirt and jeans. Food was lovely throughout our stay but the service was average at best. The hotel is, as has been mentioned in other reviews, very tired and in need of an uplift. For reasons known best to the management we were "upgraded" to a higher standard room???? All I can say is, I dread to think what our room would have been like if we hadn't been upgraded.
Overall the hotel is greatly overpriced and we will not be keen to stay in another McDonald hotel if
this is typical of what they offer.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
I have to say that I was very surprised to read your comments. We aim to be friendly and relaxed and equally welcome guests all the time wearing similar clothes. I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment and I will certainly investigate this further and discuss with my reception team. The ‘tired’ state of the hotel can be some people’s perception, who are perhaps looking for something more ‘boutique modern style’. The guest in the previous review clearly liked the décor. The bedrooms have been refurbished in the last five year’s and are in keeping with the style of the hotel, which blends tradition with modern comforts. The hotel now offers complimentary Wifi throughout the hotel and with a high speed fibre connection. We are actually finalizing plans to refurbish the restaurant and bar in January, which was last completed just over 5 years ago at a cost of £400,000. The upgrade that you were given was possibly to a river facing executive double, which are not actually larger in size, however, they have the benefit of the river view.

I do hope that you will stay with us again or perhaps, try another Macdonald Hotel which all have their own unique style.

Newport, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a really smart hotel, but the staff were friendly and helpful. Its old, and that is obvious and, I think, part of its charm, no straight corridors or flights of stairs but the decor is beautiful and the room, overlooking the weir was comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated.

The location is, of course, its main appeal. You can go to sleep to the roar of the weir which, even through secondary double glazing, is loud. If you need silence to sleep then you don't want a river view.

We were lucky with the weather so were able to sit outside in the evening by the river which was charming.

The real down side of this hotel is the pricing. We ate in the bar in the evening, and it was VERY expensive for what it was, basically bangers and mash! I know its a smart hotel but I do think the charges for food and drink were a little unnecessary. Luckily Marlow town is a short walk away with lots of nice restaurants, coffee shops and cafes and a supermarket if you want to get yourself a bottle of wine without the exorbitant price tag.

Room Tip: The weir is very loud, so if you don't like the sound of rushing water ( is sounds more like a j...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, which I was pleased to read. We want all of our guests to experience the friendliness and helpfulness of the team as much as to experience the beauty of the location, set on the banks of the river Thames, just across the bridge from the Georgian town of Marlow.

Our pricing is regularly reviewed in line with hotels of a similar standard. Our prices are similar and equally I am confident that we offer better quality. There is no doubt that there are cheaper places to eat, however, I am believe that the environment would not be the same, perhaps not a linen napkin or as expensive glasses or cutlery. Our food is also very carefully sourced – our fish is only wild, our beer and lamb is only Scottish, our pork is only from East Anglia. The same principles are applied across all aspects of our food. We believe that this is now important for our guests. I do hope that this would not deter you from returning again in the future. Clearly, one of the advantages of a stay at The Compleat Angler, is that there is plenty of choice around.

Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Although the location of the hotel is lovely, we were very disappointed in our recent experience of Sunday Lunch in Bowaters restaurant. Our starters of smoked salmon were small portions and arrived garnished with only a tiny piece of cress, no lemon or salad leaves. My husband found his main course of roast pork tasty but again minuscule portion. My haddock main course was overcooked and unremarkable. We shared a desert of a chocolate tart with a very hard base and pretty tasteless filling. With just two small glasses of wine, our bill of over ninety pounds seemed exorbitant given the size of the portions and the quality of the meal. All in all it is not an experience I will ant

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Bowaters. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with all aspects of your meal, which is most unusual and I do hope that you brought this to our attention at the time. I will share your feedback with my newly appointed Head Chef, who worked at the hotel two years ago and I am pleased to welcome back.

I do hope that you we will be able to welcome you back again at some point in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be more than happy to make the booking personally.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked for a mid week break at the hotel through Telegraph Travel (seems to be linked to Secret Escapes) and therefore got a reduced rate for the room. Unfortunately that was even too much for the room we got (26) it was noisy due to the air conditioning units outside windows and staff quarters above!!!! The hotel is a little tired and although very clean and the breakfast was excellent. Waiting staff good but receptionist could not even give us details of any local walks (even though they are on the Thames Water paths). Would be wary of booking a McDonald Hotel again if this is their 4 star standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were affected by noise during your recent stay. There are no staff quarters in the hotel, however, clearly there was some disturbance caused from another room. I am equally disappointed that you found the hotel tired and I am interested to understand in what areas you felt this as the hotel was fully refurbished five years ago. We are, however, finalising plans to refurbish the restaurant and bar again in the January. Although of little consolation to you at this stage, I can assure you that the new receptionist has now been trained on providing information on Thames Walks.

I do hope that your experience on this occasion will not deter you from staying with us again or another Macdonald Hotel. The hotel is in a lovely location as you have said and I am sorry that certain areas marred your stay this time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at the MacDonald Compleat Angler in Marlow, England (September 2013). When we checked in, we were upgraded to a beautiful 4 poster bed room with private bath and shower and a view of the Thames. The staff were very welcoming and always helpful, and the full English breakfasts included with the room were wonderful! We couldn't have been more pleased with the MacDonald or Marlow. Marlow is the quintessential English village with lots of amenities: shopping, restaurants, beautiful countryside and setting, Thames Path walking, and easy access to London by rail. I could live in Marlow, and we will certainly be back and will stay in the MacDonald Compleat Angler.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so be aware that the best rooms require lots of stair walking. But the staff wil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!