“Beautiful hotel in picturesque Marlow” 5 of 5 stars

Macdonald Compleat Angler
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marlow Bridge, Marlow SL7 1RG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marlow
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in picturesque Marlow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Second stay in hotel and consistent with attentive, friendly staff. The rooms are large and plush. We were on the top floor and although views to the hotel car park the rooms made up for it. Huge beds. And nice seating area. Large clean bathroom. We had breakfast and one of the best hotel breakfast had. W had dinner on one night but found it quiet pricey. And draughty as next to the window, plus it was Feb! Although it provides a gym... The gym is about a 10min walk through town in the local sports centre. It is an excellent location and setting on the river. The restaurant looks over to the bridge and weir which looks beautiful. A very enjoyable time.

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Relaxing and enjoyable stay. Great staff, service wth a smile.Lots of options in the either of the two restaurants, the quality of the food is to be recommended. Spacious room with very comfortable bed. Will definitely stay again next time I am in Marlow.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback about your enjoyable stay. I am pleased with your comment about the comfortable bed, the spacious room, the friendly service and the choice between the two restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

A lovely hotel excellently situated close to the centre of Marlow. Friendly and courteous staff who put themselves out to assist with everything without being asked. Good size room with two armchairs and plenty of wardrobe and storage space although the bathroom was a little dated. Excellent breakfast and afternoon tea. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, in particular I note that your enjoyed our breakfast, afternoon tea and that you found the staff to be friendly and courteous. This is exactly the experience that we wish our guests to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Marlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Just to reiterate, my review is based on an evening wedding reception and not the hotel restaurant or the rooms as we did not use these facilities. While the setting and hotel is lovely and the staff are polite, there are a few things which let the hotel down in my opinion. The bride and groom left early and the rest of the guests were left to carry on the party until 12:30am, but just after midnight there were only a handful of guests left and the staff thought that it was appropriate to start clearing up the room from just after midnight! I don't mean clearing glasses, I mean taking the chair covers off all the chairs, stacking them up, coming in with black bin liners to clear round. I have never seen anything like it!! Talk about feeling like we were in the way (the disco was still going on)! I would be very disappointed if that was my wedding day and I found out the last of my guests were made to feel unwanted! We stayed with some residents and had a couple of drinks after the party had ended. We tried to pay for a round of drinks, how embarrassing to find out your night staff didn't know how to take our payment using the card machine as we weren't residents! We are Marlow residents and would dearly love to come and have a summer drink outside on the lawn but given the overblown drinks prices (£7 for a bottle of Bulmers is obscene!) unfortunately we won't be returning!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your attendance at a wedding reception. I appreciate the positive comments regarding the polite staff and the great setting, however, I was naturally disappointed to learn that the staff were obviously clearing the room when there were guests still present. I will certainly look into this matter and equally regarding the payment of beverages – unfortunately, after the private function has finished, it is only residents that are legally able to pay for beverages. I am sorry if this was not explained correctly at the time. We do compare our drinks pricing against local competitors and other hotel groups and I am sorry that you found this drink expensive. I do hope that you do return and I would be pleased to apologise to you personally as local residents of Marlow.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for 4 out of 5 recent Easter breaks and have never been disappointed. The location is unique, on the banks of the Thames next to the wear, with lovely views of Marlow Bridge and St Peter's Church. The accommodation is very well appointed, with excellent attentive staff and a warm and friendly atmosphere. We just love it here!

Room Tip: A river view is very nice if available and affordable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
May I take this opportunity to thank you for returning to the hotel again for yet another Easter break. As you have said, the location is very unique and it is always our aim to ensure that the accommodation is well appointed and you feel welcomed with friendly staff – your comments demonstrate that this is the case. We look forward to welcoming you back next Easter, if not sooner.

Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had heard much about the Angler and had the opportunity to stay here for one night when in the area. I don't recall ever stopping in Marlow before, but what a wonderful place it is and the hotel sits in one of the best spots in town, right by the bridge and opposite the church. I can only imagine how great it would be here on a hot summer's day - I bet it gets busy. Anyway, room was nice, up two flights of stairs (there is no lift- bellboy carried my luggage up), although the bathroom had some maintenance items, including taps that were either on or off, which I reported on checkout. The staff that I encountered were excellent - had eaten already that day so only had a snack in the bar, but breakfast the following morning was good and the views over the river were fantastic. Certainly want to come back in the summer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It is kind of you to take the time to share your positive experience at the hotel. You are correct in saying that the hotel is much busier on a hot summer’s day. May to September are the busiest months, although midweek during the school holidays can be quieter. Thank you for reporting the maintenance items in your room on your departure – I am sorry that these were not identified and rectified before your arrival. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back again this year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Good Friday for 1 night. Beautiful location right on the edge of the Thames, room looked out over the weir so views were lovely, but the highlight of the stay was the fabulous dinner, Carlos gave us his most romantic table and was fabulous to watch his skills with a bottle of wine, we did treat ourself to a rather good one and it was decanted at the table over a candle!!! Food was outstanding, can recommend the fillet of beef, service excellent and then we enjoyed a cocktail in the bar after dinner!! One of the quietest hotels we've ever stayed in so a perfect nights sleep. Would definitely recommend and would stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your sharing your experience with us. I will have pleasure in sharing your feedback with Carlos, who is the Head Sommelier in Bowaters. I am sure that he will have appreciated you choosing one of his recommended wines! Your clearly enjoyed the whole experience with outstanding food and a good cocktail in the bar. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Gaius Wyncoll

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!