“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hungerford
Great Bedwyn, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

On arrival at hotel for a pre booked table for four,we were met by the most rude and offhand receptionist it was our misfortune to meet.They had lost our reservation and blamed it on a computer malfunction.we were then informed that only a small percentage of the menu was available as they had not had a delivery.we left and had a meal at another restaurant in Hungerford.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Some Tripadvisor reviews have been fairly scathing. I'm pleased to say that whilst The Bear isn't perfect, it was far from "Terrible" for our visit.

Check-in was slightly fraught. I had called the hotel 3 times over 6 months (the last time being a few days before we stayed) to remind them our party comprised 1 adult and 2 children. Despite this they still had the party down as 2 adults and 1 child.

Room was comfortable and warm. Beds lovely, but the Z-bed provided for 1 child had a slat missing, leaving a gap in the base of the bed. We managed to work around it but it's the sort of issue that reduced the overall rating.

Food was good, both evening meal and breakfast. Evening meal staff very attentive, breakfast staff somewhat less so.

Overall, not bad. Yes, a couple of issues during our stay, but certainly somewhere we'd stay again if the need arose.

Room Tip: Room 31 is warm, clean and quiet, with twin beds and space for a further Z-bed. Just check the condi...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A family party necessitated a trip to the Deep South! The Bear Hotel was first on our list and as it ticked all the boxes for us we looked no further. We were not disappointed. The staff were superb and made our stay a happy one. What helped too was the fact that our room was right at the back of the complex right next to the river. The room itself was comfortable if not a wee bit on the warm side.

Yes we would go back to stay there and unreservedly would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel complex.
Purley, Surrey UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We enjoyed a two day stay at the Bear hotel. We booked a superior room that was both large, comfortable and importantly warm. The bathroom was modern and everything was spotlessly clean. We had room 12 that was on the road at the side of the building leading into Hungerford. However, the traffic did not bother us at all and we slept well both nights. The bed was huge and very firm. I like firm beds, the wife something softer!!
We had dinner the first night. The food was served cold and promptly replaced, the staff being very attentive at all times. However, the battered fish was disappointing, the fish itself was what you may describe as 'soggy'. The bread and butter pudding I wanted was not available. Breakfast was generally good. My wife had mushroom omelette, which she enjoyed, I had a tomato omelette, very heavy on the tomato, which made the omelette rather limp. I mention this as the ingredients were fine, just the preparation let them down.
The hotel is just a 5 minute walk to the centre of town and there is a river and a lovely canal walk available. If you are looking for a good lunch, pop into the flume of feathers pub - food hot and tasty. Plenty of parking is available at the hotel and in town. Staff on reception were both helpful and friendly at all times. Hungerford was well decked out for Xmas.

Room Tip: You will like room 12, but mind the step into the bathroom at night, might cause a fall!!
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed at the Bear for two nights on a Bed and Breakfast offer found in a national newspaper .The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast was very good and included smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. All the staff we came into contact with, were polite, friendly and efficient. The hotel has a lovely interior, comfortable warm and inviting. Hungerford has a good high street which at the moment has beautiful Christmas decorations. The nearby nature reserve/canal is good for a walk.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy road so if you could ask for a quieter room away from the traffic
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at The Bear for one night. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. The room was on the small side and the shower could do with a better screen to stop the 'flooding'. Regardless it was quiet & comfortable for what we needed. The food in the restaurant was ok - just! The non slip surface on the outside stairs requires replacement because they were very slippery after the rain.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Been to this pub loads of times over the years and have always left completely satisfied with service, value for money, and quality of food and ale. However this time, I stayed here for a night in the hotel based on my previous experiences of The Bear........what a mistake that's never going to be repeated.
I was already staying elsewhere in Hungerford and decided to extend my stay for 1 extra night and thought that I would give The Bear a try (based on my previous visits!), I had a very pleasant experience whilst dealing with Amanda at the time of booking 1 nights accommodation and provided my vehicle registration for the car park ( at no extra cost by the way!)
Things then started to go downhill once we booked in; the room (no 24) had a dozen flies in it (which my missus and I attempted to let out at various intervals) and the number never seemed to decrease but they're only flies and not something that we would let ruin our stay. The room is rather small but adequate enough for a 1-2 night stay, we had the usual comforts such as coffee/tea making facilities and quite a good powerful shower too. We also found an additional pack of pillows as well. However, the room was cold upon arrival and whilst the room had a radiator, it didn't work. There was also no back to the TV remote, which made it difficult to operate. Having entered the room at 2.30 p.m. I phoned reception about 4.00 to be advised that the heating would come on at some point between 5 & 6! I decided not to wait and had a refreshing shower, as time was pressing on and we already had a prior engagement. 5:30 passed and my partner didn't wish to step into a cold room after a shower but the heating still hadn't come on. My partner phoned reception regarding the heating and they provided a temporary standalone heater for our room within 10 minutes, the manager then came and fiddled around with the radiator and stated that he had fixed it; however the heating never came on and by the time that we checked out at 1030 the following morning was still not working. We went down to order our dinner whilst sat in the informal area of the bar and our starters were fine (garlic mushrooms - which are hard to mess up!) and we waited a further 40 minutes for our main. Eventually after our mains came out, they were stone cold, not even tepid, my mushy peas crunched when I pressed them with my fork! We didn't even attempt to eat the food and subsequently got a refund for the meal. I attempted to talk to staff and they believed that the matter had been dealt with because they had already provided a refund. I advised staff that we just wanted a hot meal rather than be back at square one via the way of a refund and having no substantial meal inside us before going to our pre-arranged function. My partner sat crying in reception due to being disappointed and frustrated but the hotel didn't care one jot. We ordered a taxi and went off to the prearranged function having not eaten and both being wound up, thanks to the bear for ruining our evening! We ended up ordering food from a takeaway at 0100 because we were still hungry because we hadn't eaten. We didn't go down to breakfast because of eating the takeaway food earlier that morning! I tried to explain our disappointment to Caroline on reception the following morning and she really didn't care in the slightest, we weren't even offered a discount for the previous nights debacle! We are working class and only expect the basics with an element of customer service; nothing over the top or special. I understand that The Bear has recently changed ownership and the change is very much for the worse. I would avoid staying here at all costs, honestly; please save yourself the grief!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at The Bear Hotel Hungerford, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We would like to thank you for your review of The Bear and are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. There are some issues with your stay that we obviously didn't get right. In regards to your room then it was agreed that the radiator was not functioning properly and a standalone electric heater was provided which you agreed was more than adequate at the time. After having some drinks in the bar your meals were ordered at 18.05 pm and you received the starters of Garlic Mushrooms HOT at 18.12pm , your main courses were delivered shortly after 18.35pm and you complained at 18.40 which is only 35mins(not the 1 hour stated) for food including the starter which you ate,at this point the meals were then refunded including the starters which you had eaten. Replacement meals were refused by yourselves as you had to go out and wouldn't have time. 10 minutes later you then asked Caroline to book yourselves a taxi to your evening venue which arrived 20 minutes later. Far from caring less Caroline listened to your ranting and partners histrionic crying for 20 minutes, which was not only embarrassing for her but also for numerous other guests who thought maybe you both had been drinking.
Upon checkout Caroline asked if you had had a good evening with your friends you were visiting (far from couldn't care less)
We agree that we may not have been perfect on your visit but we are all human and do not deserve to be treated to verbal diatribes about being a parole officer and threatening behaviour towards the chef 'if it were one of my parolees in the kitchen I would be through those chains and have him'

Kind Regards

Been to The Bear Hotel Hungerford? Share your experiences!